Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Lenox/Mack- late '60s- early '70s, anyone?

Lived on Lenox, about five houses south of Mack during this time. Remember the dairy queen with the big cows' head? It's still there. Fleming Drug store? Tony's party store? St. Philip Neri church? I went to Carstens elementary for 1st & 2nd grade. Any memories of that neighborhood?

Oh, man. I took my mom thru there a couple years ago, and made me promise never to bring her back. We lived on Lakewood, half a block north of Mack, next to the Sawyers. My dad was the Asst. Minister at Reformation Lutheran Church on the the corner of Vernor & Lakeview, and my mom used to walk us from one location to the other. This would be @ 1970, and I was only 3.

There was a bank of the Commonwealth two blocks west on Mack, [[building was there last I checked), a five and dime next to a laundrymat at the end of Lakewood [[gone). I remember the giant cow. There was also a Dairy Queen on Warren, which we would stop by after playing with friends who lived at the Parksides [[early project memories quickly devolved by the time we moved to the westside and had friends at Herman Gardens). There was a Chathams or an A&P at the center on E. Warren & Mack, and probably a laundramat there, too, and street car rails sticking out of the street. I remember the McDonalds @ Conner north of Mack, [[then they built a new one on Jefferson across from the blue whale.)

These are my first memories of just about anything. I remember an old white-haired man used to walk by our house, and seeing my really blond hair would say "hey whitey," to which I would reply "hey whitey" right back. Well, in 71 we moved to the first block of Bewick north of Jefferson, when my father got transferred to a Church on the corner of St. Jean [[Lillibridge?) and Charlevoix. We were the only white family on the block and at the church. One day, a bunch of kids came over, stood at the porch of our house on Bewick, and started yelling, "hey whitey," to which my response was [[naturally!) "hey whitey" right back. My mom describes the look of confusion on their faces as one of warranting Kool-Aid, which she quickly ran in and brought out for everyone.

We moved to Grandmont in '73 and I went to Edison Elementary 1st-5th grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    I remember the McDonalds @ Conner north of Mack, [[then they built a new one on Jefferson across from the blue whale.)
    The Mack/Conner McDonalds is still on Mack/Conner, they just moved across the street on the corner.

The one on Jefferson [[and Piper) you may be thinking of caught on fire a few years back. There were originally plans to rebuild it, but they never did and instead just got rid of the location all together.
    Last edited by 313WX; July-31-10 at 10:04 AM.

Bought my first six-pack [[Stroh's of course!) as a 16-year-old at Lenox and Kercheval in 1976. I looked about 12 but the guy didn't even look at me.

We lived in my grandfathers house near the corner of Coplin and Vernor. No homes now exist on our block. Ony a ramshackle building remains at the corner of Drexel and Kercheval. At one time it was a food store, about triple is size when compared with Nick's Grocery at the corner of Drexel and Vernor.

Carstens Elementary was across the street - my brothers and I went there in the late 50s and we had some of the same teachers as our mother did when she went there in the 20's. We belonged to the Boy Scout troop that met at Reformation Lutheran Church that Hamtragedy mentioned. In the early 60's we attended Jackson Junior High - BTW, JJH alum 1955 to 1970 are holding a reunion at Stony Creek Park on Sept 12. Later, my brothers and I all attended and graduated from Cass Tech. However, Southeastern would have been our local high school.

The entire surrounding area now looks like a third world country.