Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Tuller Hotel demo pix?

Anyone have any? I've never seen any. Would be nice to know how the Grand Dame of Grand Circus Park went down.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Anyone have any? I've never seen any. Would be nice to know how the Grand Dame of Grand Circus Park went down.
    Yeah, I'd like to see some too. She went down slowly and agonizingly with a wrecking ball smashing at her. I watched it take place on an almost daily basis. My lasting memory is of standing in a near blinding snowstorm on Clifford Street at Adams, watching the wrecking ball in the backyard, swinging and punching holes into the ballroom. There were still chandeliers and sconces visible.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Yeah, I'd like to see some too. She went down slowly and agonizingly with a wrecking ball smashing at her. I watched it take place on an almost daily basis. My lasting memory is of standing in a near blinding snowstorm on Clifford Street at Adams, watching the wrecking ball in the backyard, swinging and punching holes into the ballroom. There were still chandeliers and sconces visible.
    A sickening image...

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    A sickening image...
    Sorry Fury.

On a different topic but still in the relm of never before seen photos...anyone ever seen a photo of MCS at night when in operation? Imagine all those lights and the chandeliers glowing!

Yeah, MCS, that would be cool to see. I've never seen any picture or postcard like that.

Stromberg2

Ask and you shall receive... Postcard ca. 1920.

Thanks, Krawlspace!

Stromberg2

That's right I have seen that on Ebay a few times...I like how the rendering makes the building's entrance above street level, would've made everything even more gigantic!

Still wishing for a legit photo though, my ignorance is showing, but trains did arrive at night correct?

That Michigan Central postcard is a bit of a happy fiction though. MCS was built at a time when there was a great amount of optimism for the expansion of downtown to the west, but it never happened. Many of the upper floors in the MCS were never even finished inside [[there were no interior walls at all on some floors), and the office portion of the building was never close to being fully occupied.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    That Michigan Central postcard is a bit of a happy fiction though. MCS was built at a time when there was a great amount of optimism for the expansion of downtown to the west, but it never happened. Many of the upper floors in the MCS were never even finished inside [[there were no interior walls at all on some floors), and the office portion of the building was never close to being fully occupied.
    The top five floors were never completed, but it doesn't mean they weren't used. The top penthouse floor was used, in the 1970's, as a storage space for all the railroad's records, some in hardcover bound books. It was like a library, lined with bookshelves.