Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Man Killed At West Side Party Store

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/24446411/detail.html

All I can say is "only in Detroit", where you can read daily in the papers or online about murder and theft in the city. It is getting worse every single day, and I think a lot of people outside of our Metro-Detroit area, really have no clue of whats going on. The media reports probably on 25% of what goes on everyday. Listen to the police scanner for a few hours and you will hear enough to fill a book. Prayers for the family of the innocent bystander.

I notice that too, that when I open clickondetroit that is literally all of the headlines. Man shot in...... grandmother of 9 gunned down at.......

sad

Its pretty depressing to be honest.

When I think about it things have always been crazy round here. But it does seem like it is getting more crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticalHalf View Post
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/24446411/detail.html

All I can say is "only in Detroit", where you can read daily in the papers or online about murder and theft in the city. It is getting worse every single day, and I think a lot of people outside of our Metro-Detroit area, really have no clue of whats going on. The media reports probably on 25% of what goes on everyday. Listen to the police scanner for a few hours and you will hear enough to fill a book. Prayers for the family of the innocent bystander.
    A tragedy, yes. But only in Detroit? No. Unfortunately, violent crime is a near daily occurrence in every major U.S. city. Detroit's per capita crime rate is higher because the majority of the city's neighborhoods are poor and lack jobs. Other cities have more wealthy and middle class neighborhoods to balance out neighborhoods with concentrated poverty in citywide statistics. But this crisis is not unique to us.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...-99544129.html

I just see it as a steady decline and I'm wondering when we will hit the bottom. The past couple months have been pretty bad, almost daily there is a murder or some other heinous crime. Its a big city but its pretty ridiculous.

I wonder what the arrest/conviction rate is in other large cities? Time and time again we read here that the killers got away, no solid leads, nothing, That is the sad part.

I understand it happens in other cities, but to say its because people here are poor and lack jobs is wrong. Most of the time people that commit these crimes are career criminals, that would rather choose a life of crime instead of working. They might be poor or come from a poor family, but there mentality is that you might as well take, before somebody takes from you.

I agree with 56packman, you never hear about arrests and its always "Those responsible for the shooting are still on the loose."or "there was no witness and we have no leads currently."

Kinda like the lemonade stand suspect who just got busted again for something else.

exactly, just like the kid who helped his buddies, who are all over 16, one even 19, decided to rob a 9 year old girl and her sisters and cousins. Now hes in the paper for trying to break into a house. Even though hes 17, that should be an automatic trip to jail for at least a year or two. I mean anyone who is in the papers for being a thief twice in the course of two weeks should be in jail, just my opinion, but wait hes out on bond sitting at home, probably already out tonight with his so called friends doing the same kind of stuff, its a revolving door in our justice system these days, pretty sad.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20100729-wpms
    Last edited by MysticalHalf; July-30-10 at 03:03 AM.

Now hes in the paper for trying to break into a house. Even though hes 17, that should be an automatic trip to jail for at least a year or two. I mean anyone who is in the papers for being a thief twice in the course of two weeks should be in jail, just my opinion, but wait hes out on bond sitting at home,
    In my world, the judge who lets someone out on bond who re-offends, would be held accountable also. The second offense wouldn't have ocurred if the Judge had ordered the suspect in the first case held in jail.

Its pretty depressing to be honest.

You know what is really depressing? These are the most recent numbers I found, but for Windsor in 2007 we had 1.2 homicides for every 100,000 people. Detroit on the other hand in 2008, had 46 per 100,000 people! And I'm tellin ya it's the guns that make the difference. I'm not stomping on gun owners here, responsable gun owners, You guys help keep the public and your family safe. I don't own one myself, but I sure do like'em. Thousands of people in Windsor have guns, hand guns, rifles, whatever....where are all the murders? Why don't I hear "pops" in the night, every night? I can't buy the excuse that people are poor and desperate, and that's why it happens. It's just a hell of a lot easier to be a criminal than to get a job and an education. We have poor, desperate people here...but not alot of murders. We go at eachother with hammers and axes and things you have to get up close for. Maybe it's because I canNOT go to a flea market, and pick up an AK47...or a Gatling gun for that matter. I think its pretty badass that you guys CAN do it.....but I question just how availiable this stuff is to the public at large. Reminds me of a Family Guy episode where they're in Texas, Brian buys something at a convinience store and they give him a complimentary handgun....state law! lol

Now, don't go all 2nd ammendmenty on me guys. I'm not against it in anyway. It's just that you can go to GTC and buy larger weapons than the local PD. That right there is a problem. It works for you if the government is all crooked and turns the cops on it's citizens....but that's it. Do the rules for buying large caliber weapons over there change once you get out of the hangun/rifle zone? Like when you get into massive .50 cals and such....is it harder to get or any extra special conditions you have to meet?
    It's not the root of the problem.....but it sure it a big part of it.
    Last edited by Magnatomicflux; July-30-10 at 02:38 AM.

"Some people are just repeat offenders in the system and they're just criminal in nature," said Pontiac Police Sgt. Kevin Braddock

oh, well then.....I suppose it ok. It's just his nature everyone, no need to be alarmed. I guess this is the other part of the problem. I though a big part of this "gangster" mentality was protecting your neighbourhood. Then he tells reporters to "watch out cuz" lol.
    I recommend these repeat offenders be neutered if they're going to be released. That's the deal. There's no way this guy is going to be able to pay back bonds, so lower them testosterone levels a bit....maybe he'll calm down a notch or two.
    If not....how much of a gangster can you really be with no balls? That ends his career right there. Otherwise he'll have to change his street name to "High C"

More then likely he will commit a few more crimes and just leave town and start over somewhere else, that is usually what ends up happening.

The whole thing is so ugly it's fugg-ly! [[regarding: Johntae Washington) This is a teen gone so wrong. And rewarded for such! He will probably justify his future criminal actions self-perceiving now that he's being branded as a criminal by the media.... crazy I know, but the course of self-justification is ever-present.

It's part of the mind-set. In the case of this everyone is getting off [[literally in Washington's case) and the citizens are left to fend for themselves as the outcome!!!! Expect crime to rise in this area and elsewhere as a response to this "response". Perhaps the judge lives on the moon fully insulated.

I think the young man should be in some kind of detention center awaiting some serious boot camp pending a court date for his offenses. Instead now he is out there becoming a "star" and the "watch out cuz!" Icon! [[see the video portion of the news link)...

Coming to a Youtube channel near you. If not closer!

Indeed where is any remorse when you can become a hero albeit an anti-hero via the media!? Absent of any course correction?? Well for sure the police surely have a excellent description of who he is.

For others he is just another 'silhouette' of what an entire group looks/ acts like.

Every agenda served here. And where are the parents? Where? Looking for an attorney?

And again the citizens and homeowners [[or people just going or coming from a store) are left to fend for themselves.......

exactly, just like the kid who helped his buddies, who are all over 16, one even 19, decided to rob a 9 year old girl and her sisters and cousins. Now hes in the paper for trying to break into a house. Even though hes 17, that should be an automatic trip to jail for at least a year or two. I mean anyone who is in the papers for being a thief twice in the course of two weeks should be in jail, just my opinion, but wait hes out on bond sitting at home, probably already out tonight with his so called friends doing the same kind of stuff, its a revolving door in our justice system these days, pretty sad.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20100729-wpms
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-30-10 at 05:53 AM.

But, but, how can this be? Warren Evans said according to HIS statistics, crime was way down!

I'm glad to live in a very safe country. [b][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate][u]Less than one murder on 100.000 people.

Officers Fatally Shoot Man on Southwest side involved in possible kidnapping.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/24448826/detail.html
    http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/homepage_sho...apping-suspect

It just keeps on going, and going, and going.

because I was curious about the first story...

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&cli...39.61,,0,-6.91

It is troubling to me to think of how many people have killed and gotten away with it in the city. This leads to building emperical knowledge on how to kill and get away with it, and the habits of the DPD, who are out-gunned and overwhelmed. This is a big problem that isn't going away.

Police are Investigating Five Murders that happened in Detroit in less then 36 hours.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...ss-than-2-days.

Just to throw this link in there about the topic we were discussing earlier, I've been hearing from many friends that still live on the west side and they are saying its like a war zone in the past few months. At night its the usual gun fire and tires burning rubber.

The link is no longer working.... BTW there are lots of problems/ crime on the east side as well... though not as much the last few weeks.
    Police are Investigating Five Murders that happened in Detroit in less then 36 hours.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...ss-than-2-days.

Just to throw this link in there about the topic we were discussing earlier, I've been hearing from many friends that still live on the west side and they are saying its like a war zone in the past few months. At night its the usual gun fire and tires burning rubber.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-31-10 at 08:35 AM.