Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Good Enough For Amman Jordan, yet, Not for Detroit...

From Treehugger, it looks as though Amman is head and shoulders above Detroit...

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010...ion-begins.php

Bus Rapid Transit is a joke

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Bus Rapid Transit is a joke
    Wasn't that a song by Public Enemy? Or am I thinking of something else?

Public Enemy
    911 IS A JOKE
    YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH BOOOOY

I used BRT in LA. It seemed to get me around OK, but only as a part of a larger transit system that included the subway. And there was a guy on there telling me how the Pentagon uses arcade games to brainwash kids, and by the way the Pentagon is a secret basement in the White House.

My point was less about the BRT and more about the Transit...

But yeah, I get it

Quote Originally Posted by johnlodge View Post
    i used brt in la. It seemed to get me around ok, but only as a part of a larger transit system that included the subway. And there was a guy on there telling me how the pentagon uses arcade games to brainwash kids, and by the way the pentagon is a secret basement in the white house.

lmbao.........

So, what is the difference between normal bus routes and BRT? I use the DC Metrobus system daily and it is very efficient and well-planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    So, what is the difference between normal bus routes and BRT? I use the DC Metrobus system daily and it is very efficient and well-planned.
    In LA [[and anybody correct me if my memory is rusty), the BRT has a dedicated lane, and it turns traffic lights green for itself as it approaches so it never has to stop for a light. Goes much faster than a regular bus line.

Shorter jaunts than a Metro???

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    Shorter jaunts than a Metro???
    Seems it is a more "direct" sort of mode of transportation but I could be wrong. A bus system can and will work great if managed right.

Sometimes BRT is curb separated over even grade separated as a Busway. They never have to stop at a light since they always go green in the direction of travel. They don't have as many stops either which makes them a viable commuting option for longer distances. Some people question the difference between express buses and BRT, but keep in mind, express buses can get stuck in traffic and have to stop and red lights, BRT doesn't have those type of problems.