Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Council Votes to Rename Washington Blvd.

At todays meeting a motion was approved to give Washington Blvd. a secondary name. It will be named John Conyers Blvd in honor of his upcoming birthday.

Sheila Cockrel voted against it as she is opposed to secondary street names. JoAnn Watson half seriously said that they should make it the primary name then. She mentioned that a group was looking into renaming Cass Tech, and that they should rename Washington Blvd. & Jefferson Ave as well since they were named after European slaveholders.

While talking about some celebration scheduled in the former Harmonie Park district, she demonstrated that she is still obsessed with calling "Paradise Valley" Africa Town. She noted that there is a Greektown, Mexican Town, Asian Town [[that's closed honey) etc, but they can't call it African Town b/c they would get sued.

Rename Jefferson Ave - Lakeshore Drive is anything

Let's rename Woodward, Fort, and Cass while we're at it. Why have ANY historic street names?

WE NEED A NEW COUNCIL NOW!

please support a city council elected by district.

let me guess, Monica thought of this? What a waste of time.

So is Mon Con giving up on renaming the Det\Winds Tunnel in honor of the "Great" Job Conyers?

the naming of streets is a tertiary concern to me.. fix the neighborhoods.. fix police/fire response.. destroy the derelict buildings.. overhaul the public schools..

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post
    Sheila Cockrel voted against it as she is opposed to secondary street names. JoAnn Watson half seriously said that they should make it the primary name then. She mentioned that a group was looking into renaming Cass Tech, and that they should rename Washington Blvd. & Jefferson Ave as well since they were named after European slaveholders..

LOL I'm glad Ms Watson was half serious when she said a group wanted to re-name Cass Tech. If that comes up think Cobo hall mess times 10

As long as "Washington Blvd." is the primary name of the street and will remain as a mailing address street, I think it's fine. Let's face it, no one is going to start calling it "Conyers Blvd." tomorrow, or even be signed as such just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    As long as "Washington Blvd." is the primary name of the street and will remain as a mailing address street, I think it's fine. Let's face it, no one is going to start calling it "Conyers Blvd." tomorrow, or even be signed as such just yet.
    Could someone explain why someone would be against a secondary street name. It is basically just a ceremonial street name and shouldn't have any post office implications. I believe that even now its done quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post
    At todays meeting a motion was approved to give Washington Blvd. a secondary name. It will be named John Conyers Blvd in honor of his upcoming birthday.

Sheila Cockrel voted against it as she is opposed to secondary street names. JoAnn Watson half seriously said that they should make it the primary name then. She mentioned that a group was looking into renaming Cass Tech, and that they should rename Washington Blvd. & Jefferson Ave as well since they were named after European slaveholders.

While talking about some celebration scheduled in the former Harmonie Park district, she demonstrated that she is still obsessed with calling "Paradise Valley" Africa Town. She noted that there is a Greektown, Mexican Town, Asian Town [[that's closed honey) etc, but they can't call it African Town b/c they would get sued.

There a news story on this anywhere? I don't see it on the Freep or News.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Could someone explain why someone would be against a secondary street name. It is basically just a ceremonial street name and shouldn't have any post office implications. I believe that even now its done quite often.
    1. The city council spent time debating this resolution. We're paying them to do that.
    2. DPW, or someone they hire, is going to spend time manufacturing and installing the secondary signs. We're paying for that too.
    3. We're currently running a $300,000,000 deficit. Perhaps we should be cutting back on frivolous expenses that have no effect whatsoever on our quality of life.
    4. There are a lot of intersections around the city that currently don't have street signs. Shouldn't we think about replacing those before we go around adding redundant signs to streets that already have them?
    5. Assuming that a street is going to be renamed, is John Conyers, on the grounds that he is now a year older, really the individual most deserving of such an honor? I had a birthday this year too. It's not that impressive. Most people stop making a big deal out of them around the age of ten or eleven.

Sure, it's a relatively harmless bit of frivolity, but it gives the impression that our leaders either haven't noticed that our city is circling the drain, or that they've simply chosen not to give a shit. Definitely grounds for replacing them, in my book.
    Last edited by Bearinabox; April-28-09 at 04:09 PM.

The problem with this issue is that the council does NOTHING. Please see Hypestyles response as to what really needs to happen in this city. Between now and the election only expect the council to draw attention to themselves so that it makes it look like they actually do work, i.e. renaming streets, demo of the Train Station, COBO, etc.. Wake up!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    1. The city council spent time debating this resolution. We're paying them to do that.
    2. DPW, or someone they hire, is going to spend time manufacturing and installing the secondary signs. We're paying for that too.
    3. We're currently running a $3,000,000 deficit. Perhaps we should be cutting back on frivolous expenses that have no effect whatsoever on our quality of life.
    4. There are a lot of intersections around the city that currently don't have street signs. Shouldn't we think about replacing those before we go around adding redundant signs to streets that already have them?
    5. Assuming that a street is going to be renamed, is John Conyers, on the grounds that he is now a year older, really the individual most deserving of such an honor? I had a birthday this year too. It's not that impressive. Most people stop making a big deal out of them around the age of ten or eleven.

Sure, it's a relatively harmless bit of frivolity, but it gives the impression that our leaders either haven't noticed that our city is circling the drain, or that they've simply chosen not to give a shit. Definitely grounds for replacing them, in my book.
    great points perhaps times are a bit too hard to have those types of discussions.

Retroit Guest

Is this a joke? Please tell me this is a joke.

It brings to mind that Chris Rock joke, something like "Why do they always re-name the most dangerous street in the city after Martin Luther King?"

We really need to re-name the city council. How about "Shitty Clown Show"?

excuse me!!!! I do not get it. Detroit was founed by the French. The names are French. French is the historical background All of a sudden some one wants to change everything to an African heritage background. That doesn NOT make sense. History is history. Detroit is a French history not a "black" or African history. Keep the city an American city with its French history. To do otherwise breaks the history or the area. Blacks are now in control of the city and govt but that does NOT change the history. Let history be history. And NO one in Detroit had slaves. The citizens of detroit fought inthe war to end slavery. SO so don't make an issue where there is none. Let it go. Detroit is French by heritage. Let French be. Don't make an issue where there is NO issue.

C'est la vie.

Let's rename streets for providing services. Fix potholes, fix lighting, take care of water and gas emergencies, make curb cuts, get a street naming rights. Names are good as long as streets stay in good repair, then ante up or lose your affiliation. Namers must pay for new signage as well.

This will be a minor problem for emergency services, but I think the price tag will make it worthwhile. We will probably need some rules about language on the signs, but I should be able to name Jefferson Malcolm X Drive or Glinda the Good Way with impunity if I take responsibility for its enirety inside city limits.

I like your historical perspective, oldertimer. Washington Blvd becomes Charles de Gaulle Blvd and Michigan Avenue is renamed Bridgett Bardot Avenue. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    It was during the live Council meeting.

I guess I never gave much thought to the name behind Jefferson Ave.. Maybe, we should rename it George Jefferson Ave. and make everyone happy.
    Last edited by leland_palmer; April-28-09 at 04:34 PM.

I can hear it now. "It's where Charles de Gaulle intersects Bridgett Bardot."

Good one, Leland_Palmer. [[GEORGE Jefferson...)

The way to get Mon Conyers to withdraw her objections to the Cobo deal is to agree to rename it "John Conyers Convention Center." If that doesn;'t work, agree to name it after her.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    3. We're currently running a $300,000,000 deficit. Perhaps we should be cutting back on frivolous expenses that have no effect whatsoever on our quality of life.
    Others put on their tiaras and party dresses!

I seem to recall them renaming Wash Blvd. Aretha Franklin's Freeway of Love back in the 80's. That sure lasted a long time.

While we're talking about naming things after people, why don't we rename the waste water treatment plant after Mon the Con. It would be a fitting way to pay her a tribute for all she has done!

City council has nothing else to fight about?

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    The Detroit News finally caught up with me.
    http://detroitnews.com/article/20090...s+honor+May+16

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast