Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Stadiums and Food Safety Violations

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/etick...iumconcessions

Nasty. I guess you should consider hiding snacks in your pockets. With the ridiculous cost of concessions you think they could maintain clean practices to some degree.

NO surprises here. Rarely is anyone washing their hands enough so I just avoid carnival or stadium food all together, especially chicken products where the risk of getting sick from under cooking and bacteria is highest. I tend to stick with Little C. glue cheese-pizza at events... if I eat anything.

lilpup Guest

This is hardly restricted to stadium food vendors. Whenever I think about it I start getting nauseous and swearing I'll never eat out again.

Um, 0% violations at all of the Chicago stadia?? Yeah, right, sure...

Yeah indeed if you thought about eating out from the stadium food on up to the higher echelon of [[so-called) fine dining you'd gag... but there should be some 'attempt' of cleanliness and sanitation.
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    This is hardly restricted to stadium food vendors. Whenever I think about it I start getting nauseous and swearing I'll never eat out again.

Um, 0% violations at all of the Chicago stadia?? Yeah, right, sure...

Chicago tests facilities when the parks/arenas aren't in service. Who knows what the workers are doing once there. I've been to Wrigley. All's not right..

At Comerica Park, many of the stands are operated by non-profit or charity groups who work a stand for a game in order to get a portion of the proceeds as a fundraiser for the group. These aren't same groups every game. They are volunteers for the charity, so it's just a bunch of average joes operating that stand. They really don't have any food service training and aren't regular employees who've had training. I guess it's best to have a meal somewhere else before going to the game, and then eating only ready to eat bagged snacks like chips or peanuts once you get there.

Yeah, I regularly go to Cubs and White Sox games, and don't buy the 0%...especially Wrigley Field. I've seen food debris strewn across the counter that look like it's been sitting there for awhile. And I've actually gotten food poisoning back in 2007 eating there. I guess it all depends on the way inspections are done.

I'm blown away by Ford Field though. I mean, not reporting violations is one thing, but the 70% is believable. What's a damn shame is you have a modern facility that's indoor where I would assume they've made food prep, serving, and sanitation alot more convenient than older stadiums...yet they still fail. But sounds like most of the problem is hand washing rather than say mice running about.

There are many restaurants in the immediate vicinity that would offer a better snack along with a decent price [[and for the brew too!) If it's hot dogs you're after, that Gourmet Hot Dogs on the short chute of John R next to Woodward is a good bet.

In the early days of Comerica Park my Dad was in love with the buffet in the beer garden. I never felt good after eating there, Maybe it wasn't that I ate too much or the fact that I was most likely hungover on those Sundays.I tend to stick with Pizza, Beer and Soda while at sporting events.

Actually, soda is probably the worse thing you could have. I've heard of places that would avoid cleaning soda fountains at all costs because it takes time. I recall reading a study finding it safer to drink water from a public toilet than from a soda fountain

Yikes about the soda deal, Maybe I will just stay away from sporting events all together.

Don't get confused between a health code violation and the chances of getting sick - there is far less connection than you think. Things as minor as towel-drying trays and not having plastic utensils all facing the same direction can lose you points on an inspection. You should be a lot more worried about e coli and improper temperatures for food. And a place can pass one day and generate food poisoning the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Huggybear View Post
    Don't get confused between a health code violation and the chances of getting sick - there is far less connection than you think. Things as minor as towel-drying trays and not having plastic utensils all facing the same direction can lose you points on an inspection. You should be a lot more worried about e coli and improper temperatures for food. And a place can pass one day and generate food poisoning the next.
    Maybe so, but the hand washing situation at Ford Field is pretty unacceptable. Perhaps you won't get food poisoning, but it's typically the way colds or flu is passed on.

There should be zero violations. At least I've worked in food service back in college and in a place far more demanding than stadium concessions. Our compliance was outstanding. Why can't other people do the same?

Comerica Park really isn't that bad if you know what to avoid...

#1 Its best to get bottled beverages instead of fountain beverages as the fountain drinks are mixed on site using water from the city, which is the same water they use to flush the toilets. Atleast with the bottled stuff, its being bottled at Pepsi which is using filtered water and has alot higher quality controls.

#2 Don't buy from any Vendors selling hot food in the Aisles. The Hotdogs are the worst, just with the way they are being served from the metal serving container.

#3 Vendor ice cream is usually a good bet buying from the food vendors since they are on dry ice, and are usually colder than what you can get at the consession stand.

The key really is go to the concession stand for everything, and make sure you watch how they prepare the food they are serving you. Usually there is a line, which is good because that means you will be getting it hot off the grill.

As far as the Pizza, Mike Illitch really needs to clean up his act on that one. The pizza at Comerica looks totally sickning with the amount of care they put into making it. It they would take the time to make sure the pizzas cook properly instead of rushing to pull them out of the oven, and get the right ratio to cheese, sauce and peperonie right, they might actually taste good.

Heck, Dominos made a crappy product, but even their Pizza when they served it at Tiger Stadium was better than Little Caesars.

Most restaurants, even the fanciest ones, have critical violations of one kind or another. Check the county inspection sites. It's just part of the beast. Obviously if something seems sketchy don't eat it, but this is really a non-story.