Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Healthcare

Default Healthcare

On Black Journal today, someone reported that there is one doctor for 3,000 people in Detroit. In Philadelphia the ratio is one doctor to 300 people. Overall, there has been a decline in the number of doctors graduating from medical schools in the U.S. according to this study.
    http://www.aamc.org/workforce/helpwanted.pdf

Overall, there has been a decline in the number of doctors graduating from medical schools in the U.S. according to this study.
    The study says no such thing, so what is your purpose in making such a blatant misrepresentation?

Here is what the document you linked to actually has to say about the annual number of graduating doctors from medical schools in the US:
    Although the U.S. population has grown by 70 million
    since 1980, the number of U.S. graduates with M.D.
    degrees has remained flat at around 16,000 per year.
    Now then, why should we believe you about the other statistics you "heard"?

I must have had another chart in my mind about a doctor shortage when I wrote about medical graduates here. I can't find that chart but I found this:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-5968-DC-Pu...age-on-horizon
    Shortage predicted:
    Washington based Medical college associations predict a shortage of 150 thousand doctors by 2025. More realistically, a quarter to a half million more physicians will be required than America is likely to have. For reasons connected to a surge in baby boomer retirements, current GME graduates will no longer be sufficient to replace retirees. Roughly 25 thousand more GME slots are needed annually than now exist. Since additional funding is unlikely, other sources and/or training methods must be found.

[I know someone who is going to medical school somewhere in the Caribbean. It's a year-round program which only lasts three years. The school is recognized by Wayne State Medical. ]

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    On Black Journal today, someone reported that there is one doctor for 3,000 people in Detroit. In Philadelphia the ratio is one doctor to 300 people. Overall, there has been a decline in the number of doctors graduating from medical schools in the U.S. according to this study.
    http://www.aamc.org/workforce/helpwanted.pdf
    That would mean there are about 300 physicians in Detroit. It is a bit difficult to do any accurate math on this [[because medical centers are city-suburb, best way to guestimate is by bed count; the other problem is that many physicians have more than one office), but conservatively, The DMC's main campus has about 1,000, not including students, and not including S-G. S-G, St. John's main campus and Henry Ford's main campus would add close to 1,000 more. All of these campuses have professional buildings as well. Then, you add in all of the smaller hospitals [[Detroit Hope, etc.), and clinics around the city, which would surely add another 1,000, or roughly 3,000 total, Philly's ratio.

That would mean there are about 300 physicians in Detroit.
    Nothing in the original post passed the smell test and in an attempt to spray some air freshener, the original poster further obfuscates the root cause of any impending doctor shortage, namely, the annual number of slots for new doctor training are rationed by Congress.

We have a new contender for worst thread ever.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    We have a new contender for worst thread ever.
    I admit to biting onto a big hook.