Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Water Department Bull!

I purchased a building in the city back in 2006 with the intent of opening a small carryout restaurant. The owner at that time was a nationwide retail food chain with close to 500 stores in the U.S. and the building that I purchased was the first of those 500.

The owner had planned on demolishing the building even though it was a still rock solid facility, they told me that they did not want to see the building trashed so they thought it better to just tear it down which I guess I can understand.

With a little smooth talking [[and cash) I convinced them to sell me the building and we closed 30 days later. I basically cleaned it out and sat on it for a year until I could put my plan together for the restaurant. Since it was going to be torn down all of the utilities had been disconnected and the building was abated for any dangerous contaminants. That was actually a good thing for me, I get to start with a clean building!

I went ahead and had a new electrical service installed, no problem. I had a new gas service installed from the the street into the building, no problem. Here is were the problem starts...

I call the water department and I ask what is it that I need to do to get the water service restored. They refer me to their demo department since demo permits had been applied for by the past owner. After I proved to them that I am the new owner of the building they told me that since the building was slated for demo that I have to run a new water line from the main [[which is across the street) to my building because the old line is lead. I say okay and I start getting estimates...

Every contractor that I've called has told me that they have NEVER heard of the building owner being responsible for the water line from the building all the way to the main. they ALL said that I am responsible for is from my stop box [[which is on my side of the street) to my building and the city is responsible for everything else. The last guy out, who is a major underground mechanical contractor, says he has NEVER heard of the city requiring and property owner to pay for the connection to the main. All quotes so far has been over $6,000.00!!!! I call the water department for a better explanation and all i get is "If you want water there that's what you're going to have to do period"

Keep in mind that the building wasn't being torn down because it was abandoned, dangerous and condemned, that I could almost understand...

I am so frustrated that I am thinking about calling it quits...

Retroit Guest

You could try Channel 7 Call for Action: http://www.wxyz.com/generic/money/co...all-for-action

Sounds like you forgot to tip the meter man.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Buying a building at any shape or condition in Detroit requires a lot of bureaucratic paperwork and lots of time and patience. If that didn't work either sue or sell the property. That is the best you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    You could try Channel 7 Call for Action: http://www.wxyz.com/generic/money/co...all-for-action

Exactly. This calls for media attention. If that is the attitude of the water department, someone has to stop them somewhere. Something good will come off this fight, other owners will thank you into eternity for fighting a bully.

I've got a friend who finally stopped calling the water dept back in 2007 after about 50 attempts to have a meter installed in her brand new house. I have another friend who closed his small industrial site after two years of getting billed at $1000/quarter for having a toilet and a drinking fountain.

This from the water department who thought it was a good idea to bill monthly so they could charge each customer a monthly $8 fee. Unfortunately, the bills were estimated so the phone lines jammed, and jammed, and jammed, and calls went unanswered, workers no-showed, bills went unpaid, and lo and behold, the current state of the DWSD.

I don't know about the water line, but I know that the sewer line between the house and the main is the responsibility of the property owner.

If I where you I would just go and get a water key and turn the water back on illegally.

If anyone from the city ever asks, tell them it was never shut off, and I think the worse they can do is estimate your usage and back charge you. Chances are you will never hear from the city again as they probably have your building on the books as being demolished.

Do you have a new automated meter reader? You could try calling in to the http://www.detroitwateramr.com/ center and try some social engineering to get the old line hooked back up. The main line is probably lead too so I don't think it will make much difference in using the old line.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Buying a building at any shape or condition in Detroit requires a lot of bureaucratic paperwork and lots of time and patience. If that didn't work either sue or sell the property. That is the best you can do.

Aint that the truth!

Greektown?

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    If I where you I would just go and get a water key and turn the water back on illegally.

If anyone from the city ever asks, tell them it was never shut off, and I think the worse they can do is estimate your usage and back charge you. Chances are you will never hear from the city again as they probably have your building on the books as being demolished.
    Completely agree!!

Using the sheer ignorance of city departments against them is the only way for a business to stay afloat in Detroit!!

The ones that try and do it the correct way usually never get started or fold up shop out of frustration

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Greektown?

Northwest Detroit