Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Cass1966 Guest

Default Old Detroit neighborhood “lover’s lane”

I lived in the 6 Mile & Davison area and the popular local place to go with your girl friend to “make out” was by the Detroit City Airport. You could park at the south end of the airport on French Road and see the planes landing and taking off. A nice romantic and private spot. I remember being parked there one evening in July of 1967 when two national guard soldiers came up to the car and told us to go home because black people had started a riot and they were burning down the city. We got home safe. I tried to find the old parking place on the Google satellite map but nothing looked familiar.

LodgeDodger Guest

Sorry, I'm a nice Catholic school girl. I wouldn't know a thing about places of that nature.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Sorry, I'm a nice Catholic school girl. I wouldn't know a thing about places of that nature.
    *cough, cough*

Further east, the Balduck Park parking lot saw lots of action. Of course, watching the submarine races at night from Belle Isle couldn't be beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cass1966 View Post
    I lived in the 6 Mile & Davison area and the popular local place to go with your girl friend to “make out” was by the Detroit City Airport. You could park at the south end of the airport on French Road and see the planes landing and taking off. A nice romantic and private spot. I remember being parked there one evening in July of 1967 when two national guard soldiers came up to the car and told us to go home because black people had started a riot and they were burning down the city. We got home safe. I tried to find the old parking place on the Google satellite map but nothing looked familiar.
    Those pesky black people! ;-)

Does "nice" and "Catholic school girl" go together? ;-)

Buy American Guest

Being Eastsiders, the foot of Lakewood was a favorite spot as well as the foot of Alter. From around 1959 to 1964, before we got married, they were always our favorite quiet places. We parked by City Airport a couple of times, too.

I can recall starched shirttails in the Jaynefield parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Being Eastsiders, the foot of Lakewood was a favorite spot as well as the foot of Alter. From around 1959 to 1964, before we got married, they were always our favorite quiet places. We parked by City Airport a couple of times, too.
    Foot of Alter... Angell Park!! Certainly wasn't what I would call a "quiet place" by the time I came up, but, still, lots of 'action' was seen there. My favorite spot was back by the running track on BI, behind the Brodhead Armory, and certain nice places in Windsor.

In my neighborhood, it was Palmer Park in the parking lot near the swimming pool before the lot was paved over. This area of the park was pitch dark with lots of parking room so as not to get too close to the other "lovers" in their cars and have some degree of privacy. As a matter of courtesy, it was understood that you turn off your headlights upon entry. Must have been 2 or 3 dozen cars or more out there some nights. The cops used to cruise through occasionally, but they basically left everyone alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cass1966 View Post
    I lived in the 6 Mile & I tried to find the old parking place on the Google satellite map but nothing looked familiar.
    I worked at MichCon along with my dad for a couple decades on French Rd at the curve of Lynch. Used to hang out at Vi's bar on French Rd. and the bar on the other side of the airport, practiced softball at the playground on French when they took the diamonds from Mich Con facility.

No doubt you wouldn't recognize that area now...you wouldn't have recognized it at least 10-15 years ago.

Nothing is there......I do mean virtually nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by marcwigle View Post
    Does "nice" and "Catholic school girl" go together? ;-)
    Fortunately no......my first wife was from Ragina HS. Yeah, those black patent leathers really do reflect up.

Into the far eastern burbs....use to park off Provencal Rd. in GP, behind St. Johns Hospital, and close to Biship Gallagher HS or Tyrone Elem. in HW.

And ditto on Baldcuck Area. During the warmer months we would hit the dark recesses of the park, or get thru the fence into the "nature " area next to the elem. school. What the heck was the name of that school?

Marquette Elementary school

Describe in detail what went on.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Fortunately no......my first wife was from Ragina HS. Yeah, those black patent leathers really do reflect up.
    REGINA girls didn't wear patent leather shoes. We wore saddle shoes, with white soles. Go Saddelites!

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    Describe in detail what went on.
    You need a girlfriend, terry.

You need a girlfriend, terry.
    I think he has a wife; does he really need a girlfriend, too?

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I think he has a wife; does he really need a girlfriend, too?
    Oh. Well, maybe he needs medication...

Cass1966 Guest

There was a place on Belle isle that we called the “hanging tree” where we would go to park for a cheap date. It was a huge weeping willow tree right along the bank of one of the streams that crossed the island. More near the north end of the island if I remember right. You could take a blanket and sit by the water if you needed more room.

Southwest area, we'd go to Grand Blvd and Jefferson. Used to
    call it Heppenstall's - that was the name on a warehouse there. When asked where you were going, that's what we'd say. Another ritual spoiled by Mr. Moroun..

I was wondering when someone would add Belle Isle. I remember a saying, one of those you're a true Detroiter if..., "You have made out on Belle Isle". Cass 1966 I think the spot you describe is on the North end of Lake Muskoday, where one turns off the outer ring road [at Oakway which cuts through the forest] and across from the Nature Center. The forest is adjacent with its grassy glens.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I was wondering when someone would add Belle Isle. I remember a saying, one of those you're a true Detroiter if..., "You have made out on Belle Isle". Cass 1966 I think the spot you describe is on the North end of Lake Muskoday, where one turns off the outer ring road [at Oakway which cuts through the forest] and across from the Nature Center. The forest is adjacent with its grassy glens.
    Oddly enough, isn't that close to where we DYes! folks did the clean up last spring? ACK!

And for those who questioned my nice, Catholic school girl background, Pops kept us girls close to home. He knew what you DetroitYes! folk were like!

http://www.detroitmfg.com/product-p/bivs.htm

For us Westsiders there was "Spinoza" in Rouge Park, Joy Rd & Spinoza, Edward Hines Drive with numerous secluded parking areas and 3 of my favorites were: the last row in the parking lot at Butzel Field near the lighted ball diamond and outdoor ice rink along the fence, or next door at the small cemetery on the corner of Meyers & Lyndon using the Lyndon driveway and then the teachers parking lot, next to the power house at Mackenzie HS....funny going to school on a Monday knowing ........
    The nightly "Submarine Races" if we decided to attend them were viewed from Riverside Park at the foot of W. Grand Blvd, then there was Belle Isle of course and then a small park on the river next to Fort Wayne because the MP's or DPD would run us out of there after midnight [[ Ray1936, you may know where this is)

There were some nice hidden niches in Grosse Pointe near Lakeshore that some of us nice, Catholic school girls knew about.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast