Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Parking wars in Detroit

The A&E reality show, "Parking Wars", is coming to Detroit with council approval.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...--Parking-Wars-

I sure hope they show Detroit in a better light than they do in Philadelphia, where the show has been taped for the past year. The Philly parking enforcement employees oft come across as goons, IMHO.

I don't know that there is really any way to show parking enforcement in a good light. The whole idea of it is miserable.

I was always under the impression that Philly had a very organized and effective parking enforcement program where as Detroit did not.

Well, parking enforcement isn't going to look "good" in any city, so the positive is the $250,000 in economic impact the mayor expects each year. I imagine the city gets some sort of cut, and then some of the crew will be filling a few hotel rooms, restaurants, etc over the next 4 years.

Better than a kick in the ass I suppose

There are many ways the City can benefit:

Technically anyone working in the City of Detroit should be paying Income Taxes for the time worked within the City Limits.

As mentioned previously, hotel rooms will be used, parking lots, and restaraunts. All support jobs within the City, which in turn lead to additional tax revenues.

Most importantly, it would mean that the Civil Servants assigned to these duties will be on their best behaviour or risk losing their jobs. In a similar vien, those who violate parking laws will risk being seen on television as an offender or a jerk. Becoming a national embarassment is a great way to get people to act civil.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post

Technically anyone working in the City of Detroit should be paying Income Taxes for the time worked within the City Limits.

As mentioned previously, hotel rooms will be used, parking lots, and restaraunts. All support jobs within the City, which in turn lead to additional tax revenues.

Most importantly, it would mean that the Civil Servants assigned to these duties will be on their best behaviour or risk losing their jobs. In a similar vien, those who violate parking laws will risk being seen on television as an offender or a jerk. Becoming a national embarassment is a great way to get people to act civil.
    Really? Some unionized parking enforcement dufus is going to get fired for being rude and or incompetent? That'll be the day. I don't think the guys caught on TV drinking in a city truck were fired.

I really though this was a joke when I first heard about it. Do people actually watch this show? I guess I just can't see how much entertainment can come of it.

Angry Dad Guest

Monster Garage is supposedly casting in the Detroit area too.

No Jesse James this time though.

"It is reality TV. I hope they know Detroit is on showcase," said Councilman Kwame Kenyatta, adding he would have liked to ensure parking workers got proper training before the show. "We need no more negative attention. We want to make it clear we have an opportunity to view the pilot before it is aired. Other than that, I support it."

Hoo boy, are they in for a shock.

If these bozos aren't trained already, what difference does shoving them into a Customer Service 101 class supposed to do?

And first dibs at viewing doesn't mean that they can have the episode pulled from airing.

Ahhhh, I can just see it now.

City flunkey: Go forth my pretty and bring in more revenue.

Parking Nazi: Jawohl, mein leader!

Retroit Guest

Let's see? Who is going to be the first city official caught on camera shouting to a parking enforcer "Do you know who the BLEEEEP I am?"

parking wars...? never seen it.. um.. okay..

I think it'd be great if someone would drive off with one of the Parking Department's cars while the enforcement nazi is outside of it, giving someone a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post

Most importantly, it would mean that the Civil Servants assigned to these duties will be on their best behaviour or risk losing their jobs. ...Becoming a national embarassment is a great way to get people to act civil.
    Haha nice joke! Two words: Lonnie Bates

Quote Originally Posted by raptor56 View Post
    Haha nice joke! Two words: Lonnie Bates

Well, he was thrown out of office... At least Detroiter's got that one right!

I can see no good coming to Detroit from this.
    The times the city's been showcased on First 48, the murder investigation show, it only serves to expose how dirty, barren and ramshackle the city's resources are.
    I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

MIRepublic Guest

I haven't seen the show in awhile, but for a minute it was one of my favorite shows. I loved the quirky characters, both the parking enforcers and those they ticketed. It's fully of great city shots, a lot of humor, and some drama.

Quote Originally Posted by MIRepublic View Post
    I haven't seen the show in awhile, but for a minute it was one of my favorite shows. I loved the quirky characters, both the parking enforcers and those they ticketed. It's fully of great city shots, a lot of humor, and some drama.
    I agree about the city shots. Almost all showed Philly street scenes in a good light.

This morning I saw a Parking Department employee writing a ticket, and a camera person filming it. Afterwards, they both got in the city vehicle with the flashing amber light, and drove away.

No confrontation or drama, but it was an interesting distraction from my meeting.

the philly one had some funny stuff. most of the show is some sassy meter maid/tow truck + some annoyed ticketed/towed person + crying/angry person who cant pay fine + repeated until over. i dont see it being any really bad publicity.

reminds me of chicago's parking meter problems: http://theexpiredmeter.com/?p=2377

If they ever put a boot on my car, I'll cut it off and leave it at the place where you go to pay the fines.