Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Council to Grill Producers of New ABC Series

Last Updated: July 24. 2010 1:00AM
    City Council hearing is set on TV show
    Tues. meeting will relay concerns about ABC's 'Detroit 1-8-7'
    Christine MacDonald / The Detroit News

Detroit --Detroit has gone Hollywood, and some City Council members are none too happy with the results.

Council members have scheduled a 2 p.m. Tuesday hearing to grill producers of the ABC cop drama "Detroit 1-8-7" about its representation of Motown. But it's unclear if anyone from the prime time series, which started filming in Highland Park this week, plans to appear.

The controversy is the latest in a week to mix politics with television, after Mayor Dave Bing ousted Police Chief Warren Evans on Wednesday in part because he allowed a reality TV crew to trail homicide detectives and shopped a show about himself.

Councilman Kwame Kenyatta said he plans to push a council resolution opposing the show, after viewing a trailer for the pilot that was posted online in May.

"We are happy to have Hollywood, but at what expense?" said Kenyatta, adding it was filled with "cheap shots." Councilman Andre Spivey said the trailer left him "flabbergasted."

It leads in with a female detective in front of a white-board full of names of homicide victims and her quip that they had to add columns because they'd "sort of hit capacity."

"We might be the last assembly line in Detroit," the detective says to the camera.

The show is filmed as a mock documentary following several Detroit homicide detectives.

Another scene shows two cops on a freeway overpass searching for a 9 mm bullet but finding two other bullet calibers instead.

"This is what happens when you look for bullets in Detroit," another detective tells the camera.

Detroit landmarks are featured, including the Joe Louis fist, the Renaissance Center and the abandoned Michigan Central Depot, in the original May trailer.

An updated version is now on ABC's website and is toned down, without the bullet or assembly line jokes. Instead of touting Detroit as the nation's murder capital, it brags of the "finest homicide detectives" in America.

A spokeswoman for ABC said Friday the show's staff is sensitive to how the city is portrayed.

"We have been working directly with the city of Detroit so that the characters are portrayed as heroes and so the city is portrayed in a similar light," said Erin Felentzer, an ABC spokeswoman. She said late Friday she wasn't sure if a producer would be attending the Tuesday council meeting.

Carrie Jones, the acting Michigan Film commissioner, said she's talked to the show's staff, and she's convinced they are mindful of concerns.

She said the pilot was made months ago in Atlanta, but producers wanted to film the show in Detroit to bring more authenticity to the series, Jones said. The crew has rehabbed a vacant Highland Park warehouse and created two sound stages. They have said they plan on spending $25 million in the area.

"We haven't even given it a chance to see what they are doing," Jones said. "I don't think they are looking to mock the city."

She said it's a coup for the state to have a major network drama filming and expects them to be here until the end of the year.

But Spivey said one of his biggest beefs is the name of the show and asked one of the producers to change it at a recent meeting he had to express his concerns. The "187" in the title is used by some police departments, primarily in California, as a code for murder. Section 187 of the California Penal Code defines murder.

"Essentially what they are saying is Detroit and murder," Spivey said. "I know we have challenges in Detroit. But that title is going to attract attention from across the nation."

Bing's office has talked with the show's producers recently to make sure its "entertainment value would not be realized at the expense of the city's image or assets," said spokesperson Karen Dumas in a written statement. The producers were "receptive to their concerns," Dumas said.

"The reality is that this is a television series, and not a documentary or reality show," Dumas wrote. "This is also a project that does not require our input or approval to film. They chose to film here in a cooperative manner. They could have done the same series -- title and all -- without our knowledge, input or approval in another location. We are working with them as needed. ..."

The show premieres at 10 p.m. Sept 21.

cmacdonald@detnews.com [[313) 222-2396

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100724/...#ixzz0ua7BYmNF
    Last edited by Meddle; July-24-10 at 02:15 AM.

How very lame.

just what we need, the City Council acting as Creative Director ... I would like to point out the gallows humor employed in the series is entirely appropriate and reflects the reality of Detroit.

If the City Council wants to change the public's perception of Detroit, change the reality.

Retroit Guest

Kind of ironic that the State wanted to bring Hollywood here, and the City wants to kick them out.

LodgeDodger Guest

change the reality.
    Excellent point, Gnome.

The City Council needs to pay attention to important matters. They need to do their jobs, not get their undies in a bunch over a stupid television show.

Kind of ironic people on these posts keep complaining about the crime in Detroit but all the same are OK with Hollywood glamorizing said crime. I think your ex-chief Evans needs some buckshot up his backside for the 48 hour crew being allowed on the Set of a seven year old child murder by his underlings. He clearly had his sights set on the glitz of police work.

The problem with violent crime has a lot to do with its promotion. Guns are plentiful, bad-ass attitudes are encouraged, the era of tattoos on 16year old waifs wanting to look like pirates has finally arrived.

"Silly people, you knew I was a snake when you brought me into your home!"

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Kind of ironic people on these posts keep complaining about the crime in Detroit but all the same are OK with Hollywood glamorizing said crime. I think your ex-chief Evans needs some buckshot up his backside for the 48 hour crew being allowed on the Set of a seven year old child murder by his underlings. He clearly had his sights set on the glitz of police work.

The problem with violent crime has a lot to do with its promotion. Guns are plentiful, bad-ass attitudes are encouraged, the era of tattoos on 16year old waifs wanting to look like pirates has finally arrived.
    I would like to point out that the shooting of the seven yr old was not on a movie set. It was not a scripted drama. It was a 'reality' show where a couple of cameras follow around the swat team. Different beasts. One is scripted and planned, the other is not.

Also, the violent crime in the city has little to do with promotion as that same promotion filters into nearby communities. To lay the violent crime problem in Detroit on the notion that movies or tv or video games somehow glamorize it is exceedingly short-sighted and completely discounts a constellation of more compelling reasons.

Again, if you want Detroit to be seen as pure and clean and without problems: quit throwing your trash in the street; better yet, pick up the trash left by others.

Kind of ironic people on these posts keep complaining about the crime in Detroit but all the same are OK with Hollywood glamorizing said crime.
    Glamorization of crime is not necessarily a bad thing for the city, especially if it is fictional Hollywood drama.

Law & Order glamorizes gritty NYC homicides, but the show peaks people's interest and curiosity of America's biggest city. Through that lens, the show's writers portray the battles of big city detectives and prosecutors as heroic in a world of urban chaos. Has Law & Order damaged NYC's reputation? I think not. The same could be said for CSI Miami or basically any other crime drama set in a particular city. These shows help brand the city as noteworthy, even if they are about crime.

If Detroit-187 has a good run and is able to stay on the air for a few seasons, I think it will be good for the city. Negative news reporting by local and national media has a chilling-effect on Detroit's potential, while I believe Hollywood's portrayal of virtually any major city, such as LA, NYC, Chicago, Boston, Seattle, and including Detroit, will have a positive effect on interest in the place.

Spivey's beef with the term "187" ----Agree
    Kenyatta's plans to push a resolution to oppose the show ----Disagree

I can understand that people don't want Detroit glorified because of the murders but we have to remember that this is a work of fiction. The now canceled "The Chief" would have been real life showing actually dead bodies with blood flowing in the sewers of Detroit.

Law & Order: SUV, The Closer, CSI and its sister shows, Psych and many more run along the same storyline as Detroit 187 and people in Detroit watch those shows [[me included) and not view the city depicted in said show as a murder haven. City Council needs to stop being so hypersensitive that someone is going view Detroit as Hades.

I agree with Spivey that the title sucks. The best they could do is Detroit 187. A better choice would have been "Motor City Blues," or perhaps " Surviving the D"

The First 48 is not even a reality show in the context of what has become known as 'reality' which isn't really real at all.

The First 48 is a documentary type series filmed live as it happens, whatever happens, however it happens. The edit for time, but not so much for drama. They have been on-scene form some seriously notorious cases including a family of six slaughtered by another family member in Memphis and a serial killer in Kansas City.

I'm sure they were as surprised and distraught as anyone else at the outcome that day in Detroit.

That said, this show of topic is pure, utter nonsense and I'd love to see the council either get it canceled or go through a major reformat, starting with the name. The very least they could do is ban the use of any DPD or City graphics and logos.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    The First 48 is not even a reality show in the context of what has become known as 'reality' which isn't really real at all.

The First 48 is a documentary type series filmed live as it happens, whatever happens, however it happens. The edit for time, but not so much for drama. They have been on-scene form some seriously notorious cases including a family of six slaughtered by another family member in Memphis and a serial killer in Kansas City.

I'm sure they were as surprised and distraught as anyone else at the outcome that day in Detroit.

That said, this show of topic is pure, utter nonsense and I'd love to see the council either get it canceled or go through a major reformat, starting with the name. The very least they could do is ban the use of any DPD or City graphics and logos.

On this note, I wonder if the First 48 film crew had not been there, would the Police have been as aggressive? Would that innocent child still be alive? Questions which most of us can only speculate, yet I feel that the film crew had "some" influence on those officers actions that day?...

^^^ I don't think so. The crew rides along with the homicide team for months at a time following a number of cases, so the officers kind of get used to them being there like they would another partner.

But that was all discussed on the thread at the time of the incident.

If they changed the name of the new series and tried to make it more 'real' with less CSI type fake drama, I might like it.

If it's just going to be a bang-bang, shoot-em-up Jackie Chan/Steven Seagal type show, screw-em.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Glamorization of crime is not necessarily a bad thing for the city, especially if it is fictional Hollywood drama.

Law & Order glamorizes gritty NYC homicides, but the show peaks people's interest and curiosity of America's biggest city. Through that lens, the show's writers portray the battles of big city detectives and prosecutors as heroic in a world of urban chaos. Has Law & Order damaged NYC's reputation? I think not. The same could be said for CSI Miami or basically any other crime drama set in a particular city. These shows help brand the city as noteworthy, even if they are about crime.

If Detroit-187 has a good run and is able to stay on the air for a few seasons, I think it will be good for the city. Negative news reporting by local and national media has a chilling-effect on Detroit's potential, while I believe Hollywood's portrayal of virtually any major city, such as LA, NYC, Chicago, Boston, Seattle, and including Detroit, will have a positive effect on interest in the place.
    I agree 100%. When is the last time anyone said Law & Order held NYC back? The title is lame, but whatever.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Kind of ironic that the State wanted to bring Hollywood here, and the City wants to kick them out.
    This sort of irony has become par for the course

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Hell, the city wanted hollywood here, I guess the council thought they would shoot romantic comedies or Harry Potter movies here. If we want the jobs, gotta take the bitter with the sweet

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    ^^^ I don't think so. The crew rides along with the homicide team for months at a time following a number of cases, so the officers kind of get used to them being there like they would another partner.

But that was all discussed on the thread at the time of the incident.

If they changed the name of the new series and tried to make it more 'real' with less CSI type fake drama, I might like it.

If it's just going to be a bang-bang, shoot-em-up Jackie Chan/Steven Seagal type show, screw-em.
    Thanks for the insight, I thought this was a one time filming, didn't know they had been with them for a bit...

Council is acting like a guy with a small dick. Soooooo insecure.

City council needs to stop wasting time on stuff like this. Haven't we got enough problems without trying to kick people out who are providing jobs? I for one am glad that if Detroit is going to be the setting of this show, it is filmed here and not on a Hollywood set. THAT would be the bigger insult.

And anyway, not that I think this show is going to be anywhere near the calibre of The Wire, but that show actually made me want to visit Baltimore MORE. Seeing it through the eyes of the characters made it seem like a really rich and interesting city.

I give the show 1 season, then everyone will be like..."hey, remember that lame show about Detroit. Yup, it sucked!"

Kind of ironic people on these posts keep complaining about the crime in Detroit but all the same are OK with Hollywood glamorizing said crime. I think your ex-chief Evans needs some buckshot up his backside for the 48 hour crew being allowed on the Set of a seven year old child murder by his underlings.
    WTF! You make it sound like he knew that the kid's niece was going to grab an officer's gun when they made entry.

He clearly had his sights set on the glitz of police work.
    Warren Evans was set on a hell of a lot more than just the glitz.
    • Homicides were down 25% during his tenure;
    • Non-fatal shootings were down 15%;
    • Police response time improved by 29%; and
    • Drug and gun seizures more than doubled;

All of that is on top of saving taxpayers more than $7 million in reduced overtime expenditures.

But yeah, except for that, he was all about the glitz.

Yeah, it's too bad we can't find a chief of police who is willing to go after those plentiful guns.

Oh, wait! I forgot. We had one.

But certain idiots with an IQ so low that they shouldn't be allowed within 500 ft. of a computer started insisting that he was "all about the glitz".

Quote Originally Posted by Focus313 View Post
    I give the show 1 season, then everyone will be like..."hey, remember that lame show about Detroit. Yup, it sucked!"
    Yeah, except everyone in south Florida said the same thing about "Miami Vice" once upon a time.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    just what we need, the City Council acting as Creative Director ... I would like to point out the gallows humor employed in the series is entirely appropriate and reflects the reality of Detroit.

If the City Council wants to change the public's perception of Detroit, change the reality.
    Hear, hear!

I've seen those grilling shows on PBS-3. I think its great that Ken and Charles are putting on an apron to show them how we grill Detroit style. I can't believe that they want to produce the show, but why not? The City needs the money!

What? I read that wrong??? Oh never mind...

What is the purpose of grilling people who capitalize on your incompetent failing to actually fix the problems? This is more like censorship than some grand scheme of image manipulation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast