Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    DetroitDad Guest

Default National City Headquarters Goes Dark!?

I had to drive up North recently, and I noticed that the National City Bank sign high atop the National City Headquarters has been removed, and has apparently been gone for some time. The building, in the early evening was also completely dark, except for a single small light on an upper floor. I have driven by this building enough times to say that the lack of lights is out of the ordinary. Unlit, and with the sign removed, the building looks like the Renaissance Center used to, with no crown and shades of brown windows covering it's surface. Only rusty steel beams remain where the signs once were.

Despite the removal of the iconic sign, I have not seen a single comment or article about this. What's up? Are we going to be seeing a new sign and cleanup of the building's appearance? As it stands now, it looks... vacant. Although I am usually somewhat critical of Troy and focus on the City, this is among the first notable Detroit landmarks to visitors from the North, and right now it's a welcoming sign that says that you have now entered an abandoned and blighted city.

LodgeDodger Guest

National City changed names a few months ago. They're now PNC.

https://www.pnc.com/webapp/unsec/Bla...0_Offline_0001

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    National City changed names a few months ago. They're now PNC.

https://www.pnc.com/webapp/unsec/Bla...0_Offline_0001
    Right, but that doesn't answer the question of whether or not they will replace the sign, and keep the same presence in the ToT building.

LodgeDodger Guest

Oh sweet Lord! Why don't you then call them and ask? A change-over takes years to complete.

LodgeDodger Guest

DetroitDad, don't keep spreading rumors about matters of which you know nothing. I do tech support for the property manager of the PNC building in Troy, and was in his office within the past month. I also know a personal friend of his whom I spoke to 2 days ago, and he assures me that they are doing well; as a matter of fact we will be doing some upgrades soon. Before running your mouth about things like this, check them out instead of playing Chicken Little.

It is great to hear they are being environmentally conservative and turning off the lights at night. Why keep an office tower blazing 24/7?

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    It is great to hear they are being environmentally conservative and turning off the lights at night. Why keep an office tower blazing 24/7?
    Good point Gazhekwe.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    DetroitDad, don't keep spreading rumors about matters of which you know nothing. I do tech support for the property manager of the PNC building in Troy, and was in his office within the past month. I also know a personal friend of his whom I spoke to 2 days ago, and he assures me that they are doing well; as a matter of fact we will be doing some upgrades soon. Before running your mouth about things like this, check them out instead of playing Chicken Little.
    You are insinuating that the building is vacant or soon to be so. As LD said above, it takes a long time to do a change over. Perhaps PNC has a different idea about signage than National City did.
    Also, I didn't imply anything about making or installing a sign in my previous post. Read more carefully.

That wasn't what I was suggesting. How that was meant to be interpreted was asking if PNC had kept the same number of employees in the building, and if they would be replacing the National City sign. Unfortunately, in today's world, many of these buyouts or mergers can be accompanied by job cuts.

As to the building's occupancy... yes, I already could have guessed that the property manager would say good things about his company and building.

And yes, the building looks horrible in it's current state, and that sign has been down for a pretty long time now. Are you actually implying that it will take years to make and install a new one? Despite that it may not make area urbanites happy, that building is a landmark that is viewed as part of Detroit, by people outside the region.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; July-24-10 at 11:50 PM.

You are insinuating that the building is vacant or soon to be so. As LD said above, it takes a long time to do a change over. Perhaps PNC has a different idea about signage than National City did.
    Also, I didn't imply anything about making or installing a sign in my previous post. Read more carefully.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    What are you talking about? What rumors? I asked if PNC had kept the same number of employees in the building, and if they would be replacing the National City sign.

As to the building's occupancy... yes, I already could have guessed that the property manager would say good things about his company and building.

And yes, the building looks horrible in it's current state, and that sign has been down for a pretty long time now. Are you actually implying that it will take years to make and install a new one?
    There IS a sign there. It's just not lit at night.

And your insinuations that somehow there's a problem there aren't very rational.

Why does the building look so horrible to you? It's very well maintained, and I was recently in there for an art show in the lobby, quite clean and modern.

That is the power of Plutomony, merge, reorganize, downsize activities and services, fire people, laid off people, change the corporation logo and built the corporation from the ground up.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    It just happens when nobody wants to be the dolt who turned off the lights on a floor that still had a few odd people working on it. Not to say you don't have a point, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    The stupid threads just keep getting even more stupid.
    Yes, and they are multiplying with enviable success. I, on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    There IS a sign there. It's just not lit at night.
    Ah, but what of the workmanship, was it made in a union shop? What does it look like, and how does it compare to the old sign. Anyone have pictures?

PNC sign was up 2 weeks ago. Perhaps the crazy weather we have been having damaged the sign? Maybe repairs are being made? When did Detroityes turn into TroyYes.com?

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    "Stupid" threads abound even when I,m not around.
    Ok, that made me chuckle, thanks reddog

sounds like some people had too much caffeine today

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    That is the power of Plutomony, merge, reorganize, downsize activities and services, fire people, laid off people, change the corporation logo and built the corporation from the ground up.
    Too true Danny, too true.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    It just happens when nobody wants to be the dolt who turned off the lights on a floor that still had a few odd people working on it. Not to say you don't have a point, of course.

Yes, and they are multiplying with enviable success. I, on the other hand...

Ah, but what of the workmanship, was it made in a union shop? What does it look like, and how does it compare to the old sign. Anyone have pictures?
    It's not the best picture, which is why I didn't post it, but....

Attachment 6907

I haven't caught the new sign on the roof, but it apparently wasn't there a little over a week ago. This photo is one I took on Friday the 16th [[Don't worry, I was completely 100% stopped and parked in a traffic jam on I-75, not moving while picture taking and texting).

Of all the times you've posted articles on sustainable practices, I'm not sure what you are concerned over. What are you expecting to see in that photo. Do you want it to have all the lights on?

I mean, with the sky depicted, it looks like evening on a Friday. Employees are quick to get out, lights shut off. Keeping on perimeter lights is wasteful. All you get is a few security lights left on near stairwells, copy rooms, and office entrances and elevator lobbies.

just to add my two sense worth........I was hoping that they realized that the proportions of the PNC sign that was up there for a short while were pretty lame and that they decided to add the word BANK to the end to help fill the long blank space that was available. ?????

DetroitDad Guest

Default Wolverine Reply

The stupid threads just keep getting even more stupid.
    Agreed! When I see a thread I think is "stupid", I close out of it little dude!

Of all the times you've posted articles on sustainable practices, I'm not sure what you are concerned over. What are you expecting to see in that photo. Do you want it to have all the lights on?

I mean, with the sky depicted, it looks like evening on a Friday. Employees are quick to get out, lights shut off. Keeping on perimeter lights is wasteful. All you get is a few security lights left on near stairwells, copy rooms, and office entrances and elevator lobbies.
    Yup, and when people drive somewhere, they tend to come back. I mean, usually... sometimes. It was dark on my return trip.

george_babbage Guest

The people at PNC must follow this site. I drove by today and they've put a visible sign atop the building. Now it's a welcoming landmark for visitors from the North that says that you have not entered an abandoned and blighted city.

[[Don't worry, I was completely 100% stopped while picture taking, though there wasn't much traffic on 75 this morning and several people had to swerve to miss me.)

Blarf Guest

Euwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Agreed! When I see a thread I think is "stupid", I close out of it little dude!
    I think that what the "little dude" was referencing was the creation of this thread.

Yup, and when people drive somewhere, they tend to come back. I mean, usually... sometimes. It was dark on my return trip.
    I'm surprised that you are driving, really. I would think that would have cost you your secret decoder ring from the Kuntzler Cast site.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by george_babbage View Post
    The people at PNC must follow this site. I drove by today and they've put a visible sign atop the building. Now it's a welcoming landmark for visitors from the North that says that you have not entered an abandoned and blighted city.

[[Don't worry, I was completely 100% stopped while picture taking, though there wasn't much traffic on 75 this morning and several people had to swerve to miss me.)

LOL! I love it!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast