Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Who is Reverend David Murray?

Obviously not who he says he is. The joke is on us.
    Last edited by Luckystrikes; July-23-10 at 07:15 PM.

And this is the man who claims to have multiple MBAs? I've been waiting with baited breath for that house of cards to topple down.

LodgeDodger Guest

Lest we forget his other shortcomings...

DPS Investigates Member Accused Of Child Neglect

Board Members Wants To Keep Colleague Away From Children

POSTED: Thursday, April 3, 2008
    UPDATED: 7:59 pm EDT April 3, 2008

DETROIT, Mich. -- A Detroit School Board member wants to keep her colleague, who faces child abuse and neglect accusations, away from children.

Reverend David Murray, a Detroit School Board member and leader of a church of 10 people, lost custody of his four children after allegations of abuse, neglect and domestic violence surfaced.

Thursday, school board member Marie Thorton told Local 4 she is introducing a resolution to the board because she is uncomfortable with the reverend having any contact with children.

Thorton told Local 4, “Even if he's innocent until proven guilty, we put the interest of the children first."

She also said, “Some documents indicate the children have a fear of school board member David Murray.”

Thorton’s resolution calls for Murray to not have any contact with Detroit Public School students while conducting school board business until the courts sort out his case.

Thorton said, “If the court saw fit to take the children out of the home, then I think the board has an obligation to protect the children as well.”

The resolution also raises concerns that Murray’s attorney is a hired vendor for the school district, creating a possible conflict of interest.

On March 20, the state's Childrens Protective Services took four children out of Murray's home. The state is seeking custody of two other teens, but Murray said they don't live with him.

Murray's wife, Tanisha Murray, 35, filed abuse and neglect complaints against Murray on Feb. 28.

Tanisha Murray admitted that the home in which they were living was not fit for children.

David Murray told Local 4 they are all false allegations and his main concern is his children and the children of Detroit.

A Children's Protective Service representative noted on a petition filed with the state that the home was observed to be dirty, with a foul odor. "Broken windows were observed throughout the home, and a large hole was observed in the living room ceiling."

One of Murray's sons, Joseph Murray, was present during the visit and told workers that he often slept on the floor, next to a broken window in the living room, and stated he does not have enough to eat.

"I love my wife and I love my children, and that's the most important thing in my life," said Murray.

DAvid Murray, 55, was present during the workers' visit to the home on the 18000 block of Oak Drive but told workers that he lives on the 19000 block of San Juan.

David Murray is the pastor of First Holy Temple Church of God in Christ and is a licensed social worker. He is also one of 11 Detroit School Board members who provide oversight for the operations of the school district, comprised of 105,000 students.

Tanisha Murray is a homemaker and admitted in the petition that she takes medication to treat bipolar disorder.

A petition filed by state protection workers with the Wayne County Juvenile Court Monday asked that six of Murray's children be made temporary wards of the state: A 2-year-old girl, boys ages 12, 13 and 16, and two 15-year old boys.

The petition states the 2-year-old is the child of Tanisha and David Murray and the 13-year-old boy is Tanisha Murray's child from a previous relationship. The other four boys were adopted through a state foster care system.

According to the petition, David Murray told the workers that one of the 15-year-olds is in a psychiatric facility, but he didn't know the name of the facility and he doesn’t know the where the other 15-year-old is.

The other children have been sent to live with family members.

Murray told Local 4, "It does not matter if I am the elected official or the mayor or governor. We all have challenges, and responsible people learn from challenges."

However, court records show the Murrays have an extensive history with Children's Protective Services and show a "pattern of neglect."

Tanisha Murray reported her 2-year-old daughter Julia weighs only 23 pounds because she was unable to feed her enough food.

A Wayne County Juvenile Court referee said Monday that there is enough evidence against
    David Murray to proceed to trial and a preliminary hearing on April 18 will determine whether the children will be made temporary wards of the state. If the state doesn't feel Murray is making improvements in his life, the state could terminate his parental rights.

A DPS representative told Local 4, "It's devastating whenever you think a child is in danger." The representative also said the Detroit School Board attorneys will be investigating the allegations.

Copyright 2008 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

^^I remember that - TWO full years ago, and he is still on the board. Nothing could be done? Why is he even able to run for the position?

I just don't get it. A full investigation of this guy might turn up quite a few little nasties that would run him out of town for good.