Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Roger Penske's presence downtown

Roger Penske's has been mentioned in the same breath as other civic leaders and with good reason; he helped bring the Superbowl and is involved with M1. However, why has he not committed his own firm to downtown? Why is Penske Corporation still located in Bloomfield Hills if he's a big advocate of the city? I am not sure how many people actually work at Penske's HQ, but it would still be a nice addition to the cityscape.

With the 100's of car dealerships he owns, how many are in Detroit?

LodgeDodger Guest

I'd imagine doing business in the City of Detroit is expensive. To own a home in Detroit is incredibly expensive. To pull up stakes and move to the city "just because" would be a poor business decision. Be thankful he is a Detroit booster. [[Unlike many religious, civic and business leaders in this town.)

You have to remember, many people who do not live in Detroit are some of its biggest supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    I'd imagine doing business in the City of Detroit is expensive. To own a home in Detroit is incredibly expensive. To pull up stakes and move to the city "just because" would be a poor business decision. Be thankful he is a Detroit booster. [[Unlike many religious, civic and business leaders in this town.)

You have to remember, many people who do not live in Detroit are some of its biggest supporters.
    Not to mention he got the money and puts it where his mouth is....

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Not to mention he got the money and puts it where his mouth is....
    He sure does..........
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...REE/910299982#

Some of Detroit's most prominent business leaders lent $240,000 to disgraced former Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, according to testimony given today in Wayne County Circuit Court.

Kilpatrick testified that Bloomfield Hills-based Penske Corp. founder Roger Penske, Livonia-based Quicken Loans CEO Dan Gilbert, Detroit-based PVS Chemicals CEO Jim Nicholson and Detroit-based Compuware CEO Peter Karmanos lent him the money the day after he left jail.

Quote Originally Posted by 1_of_None View Post
    Yep except the criminal is now in prison and yet Peske is still doing his thing for the city.

It would be nice if Mr. Penske could at least come back down and remove his "presence" from Belle Isle.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    It would be nice if Mr. Penske could at least come back down and remove his "presence" from Belle Isle.
    I quite agree. I was disappointed to hear about his giving money to KK, but he has been a big booster.

Bearinabox, enlightenment done passed you by.

Bearinabox Guest

Bearinabox, enlightenment done passed you by.
    Damn, it would, wouldn't it.

I have heard that Indy Car racing will return to the island next year.

As far as doing business in the D, from a business stanpoint it don't make sense, you have income tax and taxes on your utilities that the burbs don't have. Not much in the way of shopping and dinning. If Detroit wants more businesses to move in they have to change their business model....Maybe I am wrong, and I am sure someone here will point out the errors of my ways....but its just my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by 1_of_None View Post
    Jim Nicholson is the person most responsible for putting KK over the top in his election run against Freeman Hendricks. KK was out of money and credibility. Hendricks had a formidable lead and looked to be the next mayor. Nicholson [[a republicrat, rich businessman and party leader), gathered his DAC buddies, money, and a program to buy KK and his election. You can debate all you want to, but KK, and his family, already owned and operated by the McNamara machine, was bought out by rich businessmen. They had plans for the city, including as much privatization as possible. Just shows to go ya;, there's not much difference, nor differences [[philosophical, political and theological), between republicrats and demicans when it comes time to 'elect' someone to do their bidding.

DetroitPole Guest

You mean how he destroyed the only real park in the city so he could run his fucking cars around it and then decide he isn't going to do that anymore? Then how he "loaned" tens of thousands to the convicted felon?

That fucker lives in Birmingham and doesn't give a shit about the city, he just goes and pisses around where he can make money. As far as I'm concerned he can fuck off and die. I may not be rich but I live here and pay my taxes, which is more than he can say, and I don't bail out criminals or ruin parkland.

Default Penske

While you may not agree with all he has done I think you DetroitPole may want to check some facts before you speak. It seems as though the Clean Detroit program [[which has done wonders in my opinion) came from his pocket. Therefore you sir can fuck off and die.

Default Penske

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    You mean how he destroyed the only real park in the city so he could run his fucking cars around it and then decide he isn't going to do that anymore? Then how he "loaned" tens of thousands to the convicted felon?

That fucker lives in Birmingham and doesn't give a shit about the city, he just goes and pisses around where he can make money. As far as I'm concerned he can fuck off and die. I may not be rich but I live here and pay my taxes, which is more than he can say, and I don't bail out criminals or ruin parkland.
    Okay DetroitPole...tell us how you really feel. As for the park.....those races bring in Millions of dollars to Detroit and if Detroit didn't want it they would have said so......so put the blame where it should be on the politicians.
    You must have also forgot that if not for him the Superbowl would not have come here and yes it also brought in $$$$$$$. And while I do not agree on giving KK money.......he had done more for the city than you will ever do......

Quote Originally Posted by Cushkid View Post
    While you may not agree with all he has done I think you DetroitPole may want to check some facts before you speak. It seems as though the Clean Detroit program [[which has done wonders in my opinion) came from his pocket. Therefore you sir can fuck off and die.
    Thats a little strong. If you see here, a big chunk of those dollars come from MSHDA. http://www.cleandowntown.org/press5.asp

Penske is not doing this by himself. I am sure there is some kickback to Penske because they use his rental trucks. Have you noticed that all of them have Indiana Plates?

Default Penske

I didn't mean to sound harsh as much as just throw his comment back into his face. The amount of money put into the park was huge as well as the revenue generated from the race. I too wish the concrete was less but it's addition by subtraction as far as I'm concerned the park looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    Okay DetroitPole...tell us how you really feel. As for the park.....those races bring in Millions of dollars to Detroit and if Detroit didn't want it they would have said so......so put the blame where it should be on the politicians.
    You must have also forgot that if not for him the Superbowl would not have come here and yes it also brought in $$$$$$$. And while I do not agree on giving KK money.......he had done more for the city than you will ever do......
    What races? They had 2 races and then quit because they didn't make any of those $$$$. Leaving behind a giant wasteland of purposeless concrete, that was laid down because Mr. Penske insisted we couldn't have the races without it [[even though races had been held successfully on Belle Isle and downtown without such a thing). Not to be too damn hard on Penske for his intentions, but this ruins, for those of us who actually live here and use the park, what had been one of the most beautiful spots in the City of Detroit. The least he could do for us is get some folks back down here to rip out that ugliness.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; July-23-10 at 02:52 PM.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    Wow all of Penske's lovers are coming out of the woodwork!

Those races don't DO anything in the present tense anymore. They aren't happening. They were cancelled. Did you miss that? Now we're left with acres of cement and ruined parkland.

I hate the politicians in this town probably more than anybody but they sure take all the heat even though they're bedfellows with a bunch of white suburban millionares who enable and bankroll them. Those guys, however, are apparently American heros. It's twisted.

The Superbowl and other carnivalesque bullshit isn't going to save this city. We need a safe, livable city and for people to actually reside here again. I actually wake up here, which is more than he can say, except when you and him get a room at the Shorecrest, that is.

He is in the business of making money. He has no interest in the city other than his own pocket.

DetroitPole Guest

What races? They had 2 races and then quit because they didn't make any of those $$$$. Leaving behind a giant wasteland of purposeless concrete, that was laid down because Mr. Penske insisted we couldn't have the races without it [[even though races had been held successfully on Belle Isle and downtown without such a thing). Not to be too damn hard on Penske for his intentions, but this ruins, for those of us who actually live here and use the park, what had been one of the most beautiful spots in the City of Detroit. The least he could do for us is get some folks back down here to rip out that ugliness.
    Thank you!!!

DetroitPole Guest

Not to nitpick, but I own my home in Detroit and it was incredibly inexpensive and in a good neighborhood. Taxes are high and when I have kids I will have to pay tuitition for them to go to a real school, but to be fair, you can now get a lot of house for you buck in neighborhoods that are quite nice. What I saved in the purchase price more than makes up for in the high taxes. It may be relatively expensive, but not incredibly.

What a crock, Penske is behind the group that keeps sidewalks clean and flowers planted, etc. Downtown Detroit would not look as clean as it does without Penske. A friend of mine visited Detroit two years ago, I took her downtown and she kept commenting how clean it was compared to what she expected. Also two friends visited from out of town to see Kid Rock and I took them all over Downtown and the husband was very complimentary about the city and how nice Downtown was compared to what he had heard. Penske most certainly does care about Detroit. You might have gripes about the race course on B.I. but you don't make a valid point claiming that he doesn't care about the city.

Wow all of Penske's lovers are coming out of the woodwork!

Those races don't DO anything in the present tense anymore. They aren't happening. They were cancelled. Did you miss that? Now we're left with acres of cement and ruined parkland.

I hate the politicians in this town probably more than anybody but they sure take all the heat even though they're bedfellows with a bunch of white suburban millionares who enable and bankroll them. Those guys, however, are apparently American heros. It's twisted.

The Superbowl and other carnivalesque bullshit isn't going to save this city. We need a safe, livable city and for people to actually reside here again. I actually wake up here, which is more than he can say, except when you and him get a room at the Shorecrest, that is.

He is in the business of making money. He has no interest in the city other than his own pocket.
    WTF....where did I say the races were coming back for sure? I said I "Heard" they were coming back. Try reading before you speak.
    And your right, no need for a Superbowl, Indy car races, Red Bull air races or anything else.....Just turn out the lights on the crooked, delapated Detroit.....and sleep in the Packard plant.

DetroitPole: The Superbowl and other carnivalesque bullshit isn't going to save this city. We need a safe, livable city and for people to actually reside here again.
    And that starts with people coming downtown and having a favorable opinion of Detroit. It certainly isn't all Detroit needs, but Detroit needs to have events just like other more viable cities do to at least give the appearance that there is still civilized life there.