Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit seafood restaurant set to reopen

YAY I am very excited!!

The former Detroit Fish Market restaurant downtown will reopen July 29 as the Detroit Seafood Market under the ownership of its former executive chef, Leonardo Vulagi, and Kenny Akinwale, former operations vice president for the Aramark food-service company.
    http://www.freep.com/article/20100722/ENT08/100722068/
    Last edited by Designerguy24; July-22-10 at 10:00 PM.

Came here to post about this and see that someone's beat me to it. Any takers for the Breakfast House yet?

I just read this in The Detroit News. I wish it-as well as the other four restaurants planned to open downtown this year- nothing but success.

DetroitDad Guest

I am very excited about them reopening!

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Came here to post about this and see that someone's beat me to it. Any takers for the Breakfast House yet?
    They might have done a little better if they had more egg dishes on the menu. That was a constant complaint by people I would bring there, it was all bread [[French toast, pancakes, waffles, etc.) and meat.

I do miss their stuffed French toast though. That was to die for.

They had some of the best clam chowder soup that I've ever had. I'm very excited.

The best part---no Detroit taxpayer money to open. I wonder if they'll see the money from the original loan??

I'm trying to think of other Detroit seafood restaurants and drawing a blank. [["You Buy, We Fry" doesn't count)

The sheer amount of places to eat in downtown is seemingly endless and so is the variety of options. If you can't find something you like to eat in Detroit these days then you don't eat people food. I tried to compile a list of just the high-end fancy places about a month ago to show my fiance what she could look forward to living downtown, and there were too many places! Plus, I would have to add new places every week for it to be current. Honestly, I'm not sure if Detroit is even rivaled at this point by any other place in Michigan for food options. Maybe Mackinac Island... but outside of that, nowhere until you hit Chicago to the west, and possibly, NYC to the east. Totally awesome for the constantly hungry people like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    I'm trying to think of other Detroit seafood restaurants and drawing a blank. [["You Buy, We Fry" doesn't count)
    Seriously???

Tom's Oyster Bar
    Fishbone's
    Saltwater
    Finn & Porter at Fort Shelby
    The Rattlesnake Club

Those are just off the top of my head and within walking distance of my apartment. I'm sure there's plenty more other seafood places as well as places that serve quality sea food.

IMO, this is good news....the chef is talented and with proper management, they should do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    They might have done a little better if they had more egg dishes on the menu. That was a constant complaint by people I would bring there, it was all bread [[French toast, pancakes, waffles, etc.) and meat.

I do miss their stuffed French toast though. That was to die for.
    Yep, agree. Wish that a successful breakfast/brunch place owner was interested in it. It doesn't have to be as upscale, either... reasonably priced, somewhere that you could go in a suit or in a t-shirt and jeans.

Sindbads too

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Seriously???

Tom's Oyster Bar
    Fishbone's
    Saltwater
    Finn & Porter at Fort Shelby
    The Rattlesnake Club

Those are just off the top of my head and within walking distance of my apartment. I'm sure there's plenty more other seafood places as well as places that serve quality sea food.
    You forgot about Mr. Fish over on Mt. Elliott.