Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Will Detroit benefit under a Republican or Democratic governorship?

Currently we have a Democratic governorship, and there is a chance that we may have a Republican governor in Lansing again. Now personally, until that Manoogian incident that haunts Mike Cox blows completely over, I'm still suspicious of him. If I was a Republican, I'd probably support Rick Synder for his experience in Gateway corp.

I'm a independent voter with no loyalty to any political party. But the candidates in both parties haven't convinced me to give support to any of them yet.

History has shown, that each political party has promised and has never delivered. There's enough of that at the local level of government.

I would like to hear about your thoughts on the current gubernatorial elections and if some have already decided who they are going to support, tell me how will that person benefit Detroit by sitting in the Governor's chair.

Bearinabox Guest

I doubt Detroit will benefit no matter who gets in, but I really hope it's not Cox.

Interesting question........

I was just a boy during this time but I heard that the Young administration had a good relationship with William Milliken and Detroit benefited with Milliken as governor. Under Blanchard, things went south which led Young not to campaign for him in Detroit.

How would Detroit benefit? Depend what is the relationship between the mayor and governor.

I don't think it matters. Recent governors from both parties have been pretty good about acting as if Detroit doesn't exist.

And on both tickets the current crop of candidates are very un-exciting.... So I don't have too much faith that Michigan will elect a governor who will treat the city as a priority this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I don't think it matters. Recent governors from both parties have been pretty good about acting as if Detroit doesn't exist..
    Well, c'mon, would you want to be involved with Kilpatrick? I'm sure Granholm regrets not having been a better friend to the city, but with Kilpatrick in there it was hard for her to be so cozy as she would have liked to have been.

And on both tickets the current crop of candidates are very un-exciting
    What would they have to do to be considered exciting? I'm voting for Virg Bernero. Hey he's been on national TV. Isn't that exciting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ-9su6jBTI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-nLS6FJtSM

There is no,none ,zero money in the state coffer for Detroit.Detroit,like all other cities,townships,counties and our nation will have to live within their means.Just like we all do.Sure a Gov. can show support.Just don't be a fool like that weasel Blanchard.He wouldn't even utter the word Detroit.And we got big John,not the worst,but he did close up the mental heath centers and I won't forgive him for that.

Detroit would have to pull far to the right just to be in the center. However, neither party has a copyright on prosperity. I'm hoping for Snyder as Gov but I doubt any of the candidates will help Detroit much. Detroit is on life support currently so I don't think she'll be resuscitated anytime soon.

I'm an Andy Dillon man myself, but in terms of Detroit I would analyze it this way: Democrats in general are more pro-urban-agenda than Republicans in general; I'm not picking on the Republicans [[I'm an independent), but that's pretty close to unargueable.

Having said that, though, Detroit has to figure out how to lift itself up by the bootstraps. Detroit politicians have made much hay for many decades blaming everyone but Detroit for its problems, sort of like Germany between the two world wars. But Detroit's policies coupled with many other things have led it to its current place, and if the city wants to become something more than what it is, it will have to do things differently.

If Detroit actually begins to try to change its own structure and governance and make an effort to root out the incompetent and venal bunglers and crooks who have led it so far down the path of destruction, and to try to actually compete in any way for new residents and businesses, then I think any governor, Republican, Democrat or Martian, will break his or her back to support it.

Given that Bing has endorsed Dillon, Dillon is probably the candidate who has at least represented to some in the inner-circle that he will give attention and support to Detroit projects as governor. Bernero is a Lansing man 100%, so logically, I would guess his focus would be on Lansing and developments in West Michigan. Don't know enough about the republicans to say either way.

Retroit Guest

Well, it depends on what you mean by "benefit". If you mean "Who will throw money that doesn't exist at programs that have proven to be of little lasting benefit", then vote for a Democrat. If you mean "Who will make the state business friendly like it was when Detroit had a thriving economy", then vote for a Republican.

50 Years of Democrats is what happend to Detroit and I used to consider my self one but the more I think about it the more I'm a republican!

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MOTROIT View Post
    50 Years of Democrats is what happend to Detroit and I used to consider my self one but the more I think about it the more I'm a republican!
    Dear God, is that seriously how you decide who to vote for? Would it kill you to do five minutes of research on each candidate and find out where they stand on the issues? Jeezus.

Dillon seems to be racking up the most city endorsements. Also doing my research on Bernero and Snyder.

Given the state's situation I doubt it makes much difference.

Although I really didn't like Engler, he probably did more for the city by pushing to change the school funding mechanism than anybody else recently. On the other hand, I suppose you could argue that if he hadn't the city would already be in bankruptcy and that might be a good thing. I don't think I would argue that--the funding formula will still be there after the bankruptcy.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Dillon seems to be racking up the most city endorsements. Also doing my research on Bernero and Snyder.
    Dillon/Snyder would be the most interesting race, in my opinion. A lot of different experience and two very divergent viewpoints, but very intelligent men.

Not to disparage any of the others, but this one at least would be the most fun game to watch. Again, just IMO.

'Course, this all depends on who prevails in the semifinal rounds

Detroit is now represented by Democrat representatives, senators, and President. The pipeline of federal funding, such as it is, might stay a bit more open with a Democrat Governor. A Democrat Governor might be good for an extra project or two like some funding for light rail or some funding to keep teachers on the payroll.

Otherwise, were Detroit to bootstrap itself, as it has to, would that be more likely to occur under a Democrat or Republican Governor and why?

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Detroit is now represented by Democrat representatives, senators, and President. The pipeline of federal funding, such as it is, might stay a bit more open with a Democrat Governor. A Democrat Governor might be good for an extra project or two like some funding for light rail or some funding to keep teachers on the payroll.

Otherwise, were Detroit to bootstrap itself, as it has to, would that be more likely to occur under a Democrat or Republican Governor and why?
    I would think that would be more likely under a Republican because a voter backash would be unlikely to affect the Republican to any great degree. Detroit is so heavily Democratic the city doesn't give itself many options when a Republican is in the gov seat.

I believe Gov, Granholm kept Detroit solvent. If we get a Republican Governor Detroit will probably go into receivership. That could be bad, that could be good depends who's handling it, Of the Republicans I think Mike Cox would understand Detroit best.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Given the state's situation I doubt it makes much difference.
    Bingo. There's no money for anyone right now.

All I can say is, I'm glad none of the candidates have acted like John Engler so far. Engler basically ran against Detroit [[and residents of a certain complexion) in his campaigns, and tried to choke the city off when he was in office.

The City of Detroit [and all old inner cities and small town downtowns] haven't benefited under either party. Both parties have catered to the suburban / exurban interests where the votes and money are. That is big reason why the older cities and small towns in our state are in the disgracefully abandoned situation they are. By incentivizing new development, not having a statewide development plan, allowing unbridled sprawl and discriminatory insurance zoning our farmland and rural beauty is being destroyed and a wave of desolation emanating from town centers across the state have continue to grow.

Ideally the race will be between Snyder and Bernero. The former is a maverick outsider who would not owe anyone anything; the latter has run a city decently and knows how to think on his feet.

The problem both will face is the legislature whose members do not have broad vision beyond their districts. Term limits, which I agree with in principle but are far too short and should be doubled or even tripled, are at the base of this problem leaving us with a congress of amateurs.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post

Now that is funny--someone who has never nor will ever vote for a republican has to pretend that she is considering snyder to be considered "open-minded"

Thanks for the chuckle

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    Now that is funny--someone who has never nor will ever vote for a republican has to pretend that she is considering snyder to be considered "open-minded"

Thanks for the chuckle
    I have indeed voted for Republicans in the past on the local and state level, although it's absolutely none of your business who I vote for. So you can choke on "that chuckle."

I'm voting Virg Bernero. After watching the video when he was on fox news. A least he is the only one it seems to me to care for the working person. I think he will benefit Detroit because he has the endorsement of the UAW and likes the big 3

Unsure who to vote for but in regards to Rick Snyder isn't he another Dave Bing? Businessman who never ran for public office, claiming that his experience as a businessman will allow him to run the state like a business. I don't have an issue with a businessman running for public office but don't attempt to claim that a municipality can be ran like a business. It can't. Ask Dave Bing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast