Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Anyone try the new RUB BBQ place downtown?

Anyone try the new RUB BBQ place downtown? It looks good but I haven't had time to head over there. It is pretty close to commerica park.

I have been there once.

I guess I would drescibe it as being a considerably less tasty version of Slows, but with maybe bigger portions and the same price, mixed with a BW3's.

The good thing is that I didn't have to wait 2 hours or go at off hours to eat.

Overall I'd say it was fine enough place, but nothing spectacular.

Great location though.

I have been there a few times and love it. The location is perfect, the staff was great and really went out of there way to help. They have a great selection of both draft and bottled beers and the food was good.

It is also a great place to take a family downtown to eat.

2 guys in our office went there for lunch today and came back with rave reviews of both service and food

THERE ARE ACTUALLY 2 NEW BBQ PLACES DOWNTOWN!

One is on Monroe in Greektown... It is called Red Smoke. We ate there for lunch last week and it was pretty good... seemed a bit like a "Slow's" rip-off, but it's far enough away and in Greektown that I think it'll do fine.

How's the atmosphere at Rub Pub? [[man what an awful name)

I tried Red Smoke in Greektown and really liked it, I thought the food tasted great and was cheaper than slows. Most of all I liked being seated and having my food in under an hour. I still have to check out Rub.

Quote Originally Posted by JJD View Post
    I tried Red Smoke in Greektown and really liked it, I thought the food tasted great and was cheaper than slows. Most of all I liked being seated and having my food in under an hour. I still have to check out Rub.
    I live closer to Greektown, I will have to check that out for sure.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by midtown1982 View Post
    How's the atmosphere at Rub Pub? [[man what an awful name)
    Erectric?

Sorry.

I ate at Red Smoke last night.

The food was fantastic! Good portions and delicious. The mac & cheese, pulled pork, brisket, chicken, and even corn bread - all great. Their 4 BBQ sauces are distinctly delicious. The interior is really nice too. One can tell that someone put great thought and detail into the place. A decent selection of Michigan beers as well. I was told the owners are the Astoria Bakery folks.

If I recall, it was slighty more $$$ than Slows and the Rub one out Pub, but IMO well worth the extra scratch. Additionally, the virtual abscence of Hipster Nation among the waitstaff and clientele only served to enhance the overall enjoyment of my meal.

Go check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by JStone View Post
    I ate at Red Smoke last night.

The food was fantastic! Good portions and delicious. The mac & cheese, pulled pork, brisket, chicken, and even corn bread - all great. Their 4 BBQ sauces are distinctly delicious. The interior is really nice too. One can tell that someone put great thought and detail into the place. A decent selection of Michigan beers as well. I was told the owners are the Astoria Bakery folks.

If I recall, it was slighty more $$$ than Slows and the Rub one out Pub, but IMO well worth the extra scratch. Additionally, the virtual abscence of Hipster Nation among the waitstaff and clientele only served to enhance the overall enjoyment of my meal.

Go check it out.
    Haha I like how you mention the absence of Hipsters, I will surely check it out.

12. Default

I'll have to take another look at the menu, but I would suggest that they add some sort of a lunch special to get folks off the sidewalk. Anything over six bucks around there [[to start) is going to be a hard sell. Still, I'll try it soon. The smoke smells spectacular.