Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Farewell Warren Evans

WXYZ is reporting that Evans has resigned as chief. Looks like that video Channel 7 have been promoting might had a hand in his decision to resign.

From DetroitUncovered:

"Welcome to Detroit Motherfucker"
    Soon you will finally get an opportunity to see the sizzle reel that's been discussed around town for months. This is the video that Chief Warren Evans had produced to shop around to cable networks for his own reality TV show. According to publish reports when Mayor Bing saw the 6 minute video his response was "hell no". But after viewing it ourselves we wonder why his response wasn't you're fired.

The video opens up with the words, "Welcome to Detroit Motherfucker" and it gets worse from there. Chief Evans is standing in front of the old train station with an assault rifle under his arm and he says repeatedly , "I will do whatever it takes". During the video there is Chief Evans walking down the middle of Temple street in the Cass Corridor doing his best impression of John Wayne which is apropos since much of what you view are cowboy-ish tactics. This is not a good representation of what Detroit is and its appalling that the Chief of Police would depict Detroit in such a sad negative light. That was somebody's son laying in the field riddled with bullet holes but Evans didn't have enough respect for that dead person or his family; its all about "getting the shot". After viewing the video you will walk away wondering if "getting the shot "and these cowboy-ish tactics will cost the city of Detroit severely. You can talk all day about stats and lowering the crime rate but should it be at any cost? If you believe the video yes, its at any cost.

He liked to toot his own horn. When there was bad publicity, like that A and E photo shoot where a little girl was shot dead, he wouldn't give a press conference. His underlings did. I know he was on vacation, but would not give interviews on the phone either. He should have been back within hours, took his time making a statement.

Sometime ago, John Bennett had posted an old Detroit News story about how people didn't want the three people responsible [[WC prosecutor, WC judge and WC clerk) for appointing a new sheriff to choose Warren Evans after the election of Ficano to WC executive. In that story they highlighted how Evans has quit every government job he has worked. Being the police chief for Detroit would be no different for Evans.

To be fair, Evans was out of town when the little girl was killed in that police raid, which is why he wasn't at the initial presser.

It's a done deal...

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...-Evans-resigns

Don't call me. I'm retired.

Quote Originally Posted by pffft View Post
    To be fair, Evans was out of town when the little girl was killed in that police raid, which is why he wasn't at the initial presser.

It's a done deal...

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...-Evans-resigns
    Like I said, I know he was on vacation. He avoided the press even when he was back in town on this shooting. No phone interviews when the press tried to call him. That was a serious situation, the city could have had a melt down and he left all the bad press to his staff. He would not take it like a man.

Evans should have commented on the little girl's death right away, absolutely...

We take all the effective ones and get rid of them....wtf for?!

Effective...h-m-m-n-n.

He effectively gave Benny Napoleon a new lease on life by giving him the Sheriff position after he decided to take his ex-wife's job as chief.

I don't trust him as far as I could throw him. Good riddance.

I'm betting his name came up in the federal prosecution of something associated with Kwhyme...remember, one of the strippers at the Manoogian bash ended up wearing that familiar brown uniform, after moving from the Detroit Police department to some downriver force for a short while [[all of this is rumor, don't nail me if I'm wrong, I'm merely relating my opinion here!).

He was in charge when Kwhyme was getting carry-out from Fishbone's in his first jail cell visit after his fall.

So, what are the bets he ends up head of security out at the Thug Terminal at Metro?! Dude's gotta work somewhere, doesn't he?! God help us all if he was hired by Homeland Security...
    Last edited by Gannon; July-21-10 at 04:09 PM.

Default Chief Warren Evans Resigns

Just heard it on the radio.

Wow. How long was he the Chief? There's been so much going and coming at the top of city admin over the past few years until I couldn't keep track of dates.

I liked the idea of the Mobile Strike Force and agressive police tactics against criminals, but I always got the feeling that Evans was just getting ready for a run at the Mayor's job. He never met a camera he didn't love, and was easily the most self promoting police chief we've had in the City for a long time.

Filling the police chief job is obviously not one of Bing's shining moments. He promised to keep James Barren, who was popular with the rank and file and many community groups, during the campaign, but dumped him the first chance he got, without ever giving an explanation. Now, the guy with whom he replaced Barren is out of the job after about a year. Doesn't look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Aw, come on Ray, I'm sure many of us here at DY would lobby for you at city hall. Hell, given the track record of some of our most recent chiefs, you could probably do a better job from NV than these clowns have done from 1300!

He could approach Gary Brown and disturb the fine balance on the City Council...but I wonder how the rank-n-file would approve of him at the helm?

I'm rooting for Commander Dolunt still!

http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1206790407

Ah, the good old days. This news report is quite hilarious now. I found it searching for Steve Dolunt things...

http://detnews.com/article/20070829/...with-the-mayor

He also said he was told he was 'dumb as a post' for working with the investigation of Kwhyme.

Both are solid endorsements why he should be Chief.
    Last edited by Gannon; July-21-10 at 03:52 PM.

He looked like he was trying to be rambo earp in the video or maybe he would settle for matt dillon from gunsmoke.
    He ended up being festus or barney fife.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

Ray it looks like it was a no show job. All vacation to do reality shows and mug for the camera's then just show up for the press conferences.

Warren Evans did the best with what he had, in the year he worked as chief he cleaned the streets of a lot of drugs, he got hundreds of guns of the streets, and brought in many violent criminals. In my opinion he did the best he could and he did do some good. Hopefully his replacement cant keep up the good work of at least attempting to clean up the streets of Detroit. I'm sure it will come out later that he was in on something illegal, but for now at least we can say he did some good. Thank You Warren Evans.

Most in Wayne County area knew Bing made a huge mistake in hiring Evans. At least I did anyway. The Bulla-Cummings connection, and then Napoleon back on the job. Napoleon is just as bad. Watch for him to rise up again. He manages to ingratiate himself someway or another.
    Last edited by fanniemae; July-21-10 at 05:01 PM.

Too bad Warren's ego did him in. It seemed like progress was being made in getting the crime situation under control.
    Some say there is no such thing as too much publicity but for Warren Evans it finally was too much.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Too bad Warren's ego did him in. It seemed like progress was being made in getting the crime situation under control.
    Some say there is no such thing as too much publicity but for Warren Evans it finally was too much.
    I think his interim replacement seems to be on the same page as Evans, without the BS.
    The fact that there is a nationwide search is promising. Maybe someone decent, please!

Now channel 7 is saying there might be a girl friend who is an DPD officer as well.

Thats a real morale buster and a terrible conflict.

Mayor Bing, I felt treated the last police chief really badly, so I guess its what goes around comes around

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast