Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Woman Carjacked At Gunpoint in Broad Daylight

Crime is definitely getting out of hand in the metro Detroit area, and unfortunately I think it is going to keep getting worse.

First Birmingham, then Royal Oak, now Grosse Pointe. Robbers/car-jackers are definitely not afraid to come into the more affluent, better policed suburbs any longer.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/24323395/detail.html

bartock Guest

This suspect is black and suspected to be from Clinton Township. Ought to make the debate over this interesting.

For the record, all crime is bad, no popcorn needed. This was blocks from my house. I do not understand why there would be smug reactions to where some of the latest crimes are taking place, as though it vindicates one area versus another. Ironically, many of us in this area have lived in more than one place, and my suburban ass [[those of us born and raised in the suburbs, sorry, we're Detroiters, but we're suburban Detroiters) spent several years living in Detroit and Hamtramck. I hate a carjacking in Detroit as much as I hate a carjacking in Grosse Pointe Woods.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    I do not understand why there would be smug reactions to where some of the latest crimes are taking place, as though it vindicates one area versus another.
    Bingo.

I think Detroit supporters have joined the "suburbs are bliss" group and sit back and smirk when crime happens out there. Unlike the city basher's though, I think the city supporters do it to point out crime happens everywhere. The anti-Detroit crowd tend to do it just to be spiteful and, perhaps, show their racism.

I hate a carjacking in Detroit as much as I hate a carjacking in Grosse Pointe Woods.
    If only the entire metro area felt that way, we'd be far better off than the current situation.

Street crime is definately on the rise in the suburbs. It's an golden opportunity for tramps and theives to rob and shoot innocent people anywhere than Detroit. The Great Recession is here to stay and more good people are doing nothing to quell the forces of evil. Jobs are become non-existant, employment checks are dissapearing, people are losing their homes and their lives and our U.S. state local and federal governments are bickering about budget wars. It's like in the bibical times when the Israelites turned against God, Their emenies will come to send them into the slaughterhouses. Folks, try your best to be careful, be aware of your surroundings, lock your doors. But in between help someone in need. Because helping people will reduce fear, street crime and violence.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Defeat fear and win the battle for Neda's sake.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Bingo.

I think Detroit supporters have joined the "suburbs are bliss" group and sit back and smirk when crime happens out there. Unlike the city basher's though, I think the city supporters do it to point out crime happens everywhere. The anti-Detroit crowd tend to do it just to be spiteful and, perhaps, show their racism.

So, when the "anti-Detroit crowd" acts like idiots, they are racists- but when the "city supporters" exhibit the exact same behavior, they are just providing a public service by pointing out that crime happens everywhere?
    What an interesting insight into your thought processes.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Street crime is definately on the rise in the suburbs. It's an golden opportunity for tramps and theives to rob and shoot innocent people anywhere than Detroit. The Great Recession is here to stay and more good people are doing nothing to quell the forces of evil. Jobs are become non-existant, employment checks are dissapearing, people are losing their homes and their lives and our U.S. state local and federal governments are bickering about budget wars. It's like in the bibical times when the Israelites turned against God, Their emenies will come to send them into the slaughterhouses. Folks, try your best to be careful, be aware of your surroundings, lock your doors. But in between help someone in need. Because helping people will reduce fear, street crime and violence.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Defeat fear and win the battle for Neda's sake.
    You can't make this stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    So, when the "anti-Detroit crowd" acts like idiots, they are racists- but when the "city supporters" exhibit the exact same behavior, they are just providing a public service by pointing out that crime happens everywhere?
    What an interesting insight into your thought processes.
    You can ask the NAACP during black history month about that...

/flames fanned
    //popcorn popped
    ///Redcoat thread turned into a speed limit debate & a boring one at that

I do not understand why there would be smug reactions to where some of the latest crimes are taking place, as though it vindicates one area versus another.
    I don't understand it either, especially since the factor that bears on an area's safety is the extent to which violent crime occurs in the area, and not simply whether it ever occurs in the area. Even a small child can understand this concept.

It's laughable when people try to act like one instance of violent crime in Grosse Pointe is equal to numerous instances of violent crime in Detroit because "crime happens in both places". Anyone who is truly interested in alleviating Detroit's crime violent problem needs to stop pretending like the city's reputation is an undeserved sterotype. Admitting you have a problem is the first step towards recovery.

This suspect is black and suspected to be from Clinton Township. Ought to make the debate over this interesting.

For the record, all crime is bad, no popcorn needed. This was blocks from my house. I do not understand why there would be smug reactions to where some of the latest crimes are taking place, as though it vindicates one area versus another. Ironically, many of us in this area have lived in more than one place, and my suburban ass [[those of us born and raised in the suburbs, sorry, we're Detroiters, but we're suburban Detroiters) spent several years living in Detroit and Hamtramck. I hate a carjacking in Detroit as much as I hate a carjacking in Grosse Pointe Woods.
    I'm not sure if your comment was directed toward me, but for the record this is blocks from my house as well. The reason I think this is significant is b/c I grew up in GP and am now questioning whether I should move. My wife is a stay at home mom and the only thing tying us to the GP area [[besides my parents) is her group of friends [[all of which are also stay-at-home moms).

Growing up, this would have been completely unheard of in GP. I am now afraid to let my kids go out and play in the front yard in Grosse Pointe. That is what makes it newsworthy. You move to a more affluent area so that you have safety and quality schools. With the crime on the rise this is quickly becoming a deterrent for living in GP.

You are correct that crime is everywhere. However, this was why my parents moved out of Detroit in the 80's. Coincidently, I used to live 2 blocks from where the Detroit officer was shot several months back. That area used to be safe and walkable. Now [[according to the people the papers interviewed that currently live there) the area is a crime-ridden area where gunfire is heard nightly. This is why people don't live in Detroit and instead migrated to the suburbs -- including GP, Royal Oak and Birmingham.

My fear and -- and the reason I posted this story -- is that many suburbs including GP, Royal Oak and Birmingham are starting to slide down a slippery path where crime is becoming the norm. If these suburbs can't turn the tide against crime our entire metropolitan area will begin to mirror what we currently see in Detroit proper. This is especially true for GP which is being hit by crime as a result of its many shared Detroit borders.

As a resident, we have been informed that the criminals make a "hit" and then quickly exit and "disappear" into the Detroit neighborhoods. Please not that I AM NOT SAYING that the criminals currently performing these crimes are black or from Detroit. I AM SAYING that they are using the lack of police presence or enforcement in Detroit as a quick escape route.

This breakdown in safety is what has me very concerned as a father and husband, because I shouldn't have to worry while I am at work if my wife will be carjacked while going to pick up my dry-cleaning [[which is next door to the men's warehouse mentioned in the story) or taking the kids to Einstein bagels [[which is across the street).

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rondinjp View Post
    I'm not sure if your comment was directed toward me, but for the record this is blocks from my house as well.

Not in the least. I'm glad you posted it. What I was referring to can be found on some of the other crime threads. I was an early responder to this one.

The reason I think this is significant is b/c I grew up in GP and am now questioning whether I should move. My wife is a stay at home mom and the only thing tying us to the GP area [[besides my parents) is her group of friends [[all of which are also stay-at-home moms).

My wife is the same, and our wives probably know each other if they are members of the mom's club I'm thinking of.

Growing up, this would have been completely unheard of in GP. I am now afraid to let my kids go out and play in the front yard in Grosse Pointe. That is what makes it newsworthy. You move to a more affluent area so that you have safety and quality schools. With the crime on the rise this is quickly becoming a deterrent for living in GP.

You are correct that crime is everywhere. However, this was why my parents moved out of Detroit in the 80's. Coincidently, I used to live 2 blocks from where the Detroit officer was shot several months back. That area used to be safe and walkable. Now [[according to the people the papers interviewed that currently live there) the area is a crime-ridden area where gunfire is heard nightly. This is why people don't live in Detroit and instead migrated to the suburbs -- including GP, Royal Oak and Birmingham.

My fear and -- and the reason I posted this story -- is that many suburbs including GP, Royal Oak and Birmingham are starting to slide down a slippery path where crime is becoming the norm. If these suburbs can't turn the tide against crime our entire metropolitan area will begin to mirror what we currently see in Detroit proper. This is especially true for GP which is being hit by crime as a result of its many shared Detroit borders.

As a resident, we have been informed that the criminals make a "hit" and then quickly exit and "disappear" into the Detroit neighborhoods. Please not that I AM NOT SAYING that the criminals currently performing these crimes are black or from Detroit. I AM SAYING that they are using the lack of police presence or enforcement in Detroit as a quick escape route.

This breakdown in safety is what has me very concerned as a father and husband, because I shouldn't have to worry while I am at work if my wife will be carjacked while going to pick up my dry-cleaning [[which is next door to the men's warehouse mentioned in the story) or taking the kids to Einstein bagels [[which is across the street).
    I couldn't agree with your last paragraph more. As a father and husband in the same general area [[HW, E of 94 in that neighborhood), I have the same concerns.

I'm not sure if your comment was directed toward me, but for the record this is blocks from my house as well. The reason I think this is significant is b/c I grew up in GP and am now questioning whether I should move. My wife is a stay at home mom and the only thing tying us to the GP area [[besides my parents) is her group of friends [[all of which are also stay-at-home moms).

I grew up in GP too... and unless you grew up in GP in the 50s you are being a little hyperbolic. I grew up in the Park near Windmill Pointe, about 5 streets in from Alter. Garage thefts, car thefts, tire slashing, home invasions, and kids getting bikes taken from them by thieves was...while not an everyday thing... certainly wasn't uncommon. Not to mention the multiple stabbings/muggings at the movie theater that was on jefferson in the Park. Heck, my parents had a car stolen out of the driveway in 87. It came in spurts and cycles and usually when a group was caught, it would stop for a while. Closing off Windmill Pointe drive and Korte into Detroit helped quite a bit. It blocked the escape route, but it didn't stop EVERY crime.

GPs are some of the best patrolled areas and the response time is measured in seconds. I would bet money they close this case with an arrest too just like they arrested the guys who robbed those girls at gunpoint on Jefferson near the War Memorial. Saying you're going to up and move because some "strung out" guy car jacked someone near you is a little nuts. Are your kids not going to be allowed to go to war memorial dances because someone got robbed near there once?

ps. I was at the men's warehouse [[well caribou, actually) on monday. they have uniformed security guard in the parking lot behind the building now. just an fyi.
    Last edited by bailey; July-21-10 at 12:43 PM.

Sigh. Folks, this is a regional issue. We are all in this together. We sink or swim together. There are no safe havens or hiding places. There are also no throwaway people or excuses for criminal behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I grew up in GP too... and unless you grew up in GP in the 50s you are being a little hyperbolic. I grew up in the Park near Windmill Pointe, about 5 streets in from Alter. Garage thefts, car thefts, tire slashing, home invasions, and kids getting bikes taken from them by thieves was...while not an everyday thing... certainly wasn't uncommon. Not to mention the multiple stabbings/muggings at the movie theater that was on jefferson in the Park. Heck, my parents had a car stolen out of the driveway in 87. It came in spurts and cycles and usually when a group was caught, it would stop for a while. Closing off Windmill Pointe drive and Korte into Detroit helped quite a bit. It blocked the escape route, but it didn't stop EVERY crime.
    No, I grew up there in the 80's-90's and am quite aware that there was crime. I am especially aware [[as you pointed out) that they closed off almost all the roads [[including the bridge that used to exist next to Windmill Pointe Park) as a result of "Angel's Park." GPP upped its patrols and the blocked streets seemed to help abate the uptick of crimes that was occurring.

However, the crimes during that time were break-ins, bikes stolen, cars stolen, etc. Like I said before crime existed before and will always exist. However, these crimes are not what I would call "violent" crimes where people were being held up by gunpoint. Does this mean that an armed robbery didn't exist or happen when I grew up, maybe not. However, the fact that the recent occurrences are happening in broad daylight -- and the frequency is increasing -- is what is extremely troublesome. I am especially worried that one of these armed robberies is going to end in someone getting shot.

No, I grew up there in the 80's-90's and am quite aware that there was crime. I am especially aware [[as you pointed out) that they closed off almost all the roads [[including the bridge that used to exist next to Windmill Pointe Park) as a result of "Angel's Park." GPP upped its patrols and the blocked streets seemed to help abate the uptick of crimes that was occurring.

However, the crimes during that time were break-ins, bikes stolen, cars stolen, etc. Like I said before crime existed before and will always exist. However, these crimes are not what I would call "violent" crimes where people were being held up by gunpoint. Does this mean that an armed robbery didn't exist or happen when I grew up, maybe not. However, the fact that the recent occurrences are happening in broad daylight -- and the frequency is increasing -- is what is extremely troublesome. I am especially worried that one of these armed robberies is going to end in someone getting shot.
    I do get where you're coming from. But I just see it as such a rare occurrence that it's not worth the angst. Look, if there was a story like this every month, I'm on board with you. however, the very fact that when things like this happen it's "news" underscores the rarity of it in the GPs.

And English, hate to break it to you but; yes, there are safe havens and hiding places, the high speed chases only go in one direction. Which is why they started closing off streets in GPP in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Sigh. Folks, this is a regional issue. We are all in this together. We sink or swim together. There are no safe havens or hiding places. There are also no throwaway people or excuses for criminal behavior.

No doubt......

Is there any scientific evidence, like statistics, that show crime is on the rise in the suburbs? A few well publicized incidents hardly qualify as a trend.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    And English, hate to break it to you but; yes, there are safe havens and hiding places, the high speed chases only go in one direction. Which is why they started closing off streets in GPP in the 90s.
    Whatever you say.

I've been spending quite a bit of time in GPP lately, and can say the police attentiveness is outstanding. In the rare instances I've been on Mack after midnight, the stare-down from passing officers is quite intimidating, but now that they recognize the car I've gotten a few nods of welcome.

My friend lives two blocks away from Mack...and about a half mile from Alter. Only time I've seen anyone pulled over for anything other than a speed trap has been a local boy on a Vespa without license plates...at ONE in the morning. He was taken away by an unmarked car with absolutely NO disturbance to the neighborhood at all.

In Dearborn? That would've been probably three cars all with blazing red-blue lights on top...waking up the whole damn block.

So far, I'm impressed with GPP's police, but am amazed that this little enclave can exist merely blocks away from some of the worst neighborhoods in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Nice pablum but there are differences in risk from one area to the next that vary by orders of magnitude. Deny reality, fail to understand the issue and you'll surely fail at finding solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Nice pablum but there are differences in risk from one area to the next that vary by orders of magnitude. Deny reality, fail to understand the issue and you'll surely fail at finding solutions.
    Couldn't you say the same about specific neighborhoods in Detroit? Isn't that what many of the "Detroit boosters" on this forum have been saying for years?

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I've been spending quite a bit of time in GPP lately, and can say the police attentiveness is outstanding. In the rare instances I've been on Mack after midnight, the stare-down from passing officers is quite intimidating, but now that they recognize the car I've gotten a few nods of welcome.

My friend lives two blocks away from Mack...and about a half mile from Alter. Only time I've seen anyone pulled over for anything other than a speed trap has been a local boy on a Vespa without license plates...at ONE in the morning. He was taken away by an unmarked car with absolutely NO disturbance to the neighborhood at all.

In Dearborn? That would've been probably three cars all with blazing red-blue lights on top...waking up the whole damn block.

So far, I'm impressed with GPP's police, but am amazed that this little enclave can exist merely blocks away from some of the worst neighborhoods in the city.

I agree wholeheartedly with this post - I lived on Wayburn [[the Detroit side of the street) for 2 years with no issue whatsoever. I would walk home from the Tap Room regularly or any of the bars on Mack ave with no issue. The police would usually sit right outside my house on the entry streets to Detroit and monitor the bums, following those who looked like trouble. I once got hassled for money getting out of my car by some scumbag, one phone call to the GPP PD and they had escorted him out of the neighborhood before I made it into my house. The border patrol have always been courteous and polite and made me feel very safe.
    Last edited by DanFromDetroit; July-21-10 at 02:57 PM. Reason: apparently I can't spell & my grammar sucks

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Couldn't you say the same about specific neighborhoods in Detroit? Isn't that what many of the "Detroit boosters" on this forum have been saying for years?
    He said area, not city. How are you contradicting? Go easy, valiant defender of all things Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Nice pablum but there are differences in risk from one area to the next that vary by orders of magnitude.
    Where in my post did I state otherwise?

Deny reality, fail to understand the issue and you'll surely fail at finding solutions.
    And this isn't pablum... how?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    He said area, not city. How are you contradicting? Go easy, valiant defender of all things Detroit.
    Wow, I have a Stan...

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Wow, I have a Stan...
    Yes, I'm stalking you. Because you barely ever post here, and I'd have to go out of my way to find an example of you rushing to defend Detroit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast