Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Political candidates who refuse to go away

I received my "Election Connection" newsletter, courtesy of Janice M. Winfrey, in my mail today. While perusing the ballot, I was annoyed [[but not surprised) to find the name of several has-beens, never-were's, religious figures, former city council and school board members listed. First of all, I'd love it if most of these people just got a full-time job instead of hopping around from one political position to the next when they either are voted out or never voted in in the first place. And secondly, I really wish the pastors would either just tend to their own flocks or step down from the leadership position in their churches if they are elected because I don't know how a person could hold two positions of power effectively. Just my two cents worth.

Anyway, here are people whose names I recognized:
    Mary Waters [[of Sam Riddle fame)--1st district state senator
    Mohammed Okdie [[believe he ran for city council last year)--3rd district state senator
    Lisa Howze [[ditto)--2nd district state legislative rep
    Alberta Tinsley Talabi [[former city council)--3rd district rep
    Edgar Vann [[pastor)--4th district
    Mary Sheffield [[connected to Horace Sheffield?)--4th district
    C. Kofi-Akin Kenyatta [[connected to Kwame Kenyatta?)--5th distrct
    Jimmy Womack [[former school board president)--7th district
    Reggie Reg Davis [[ran for city council)--8th district
    Stacy Pugh [[relation to Charles Pugh?)--10th district
    Terrance Hood [[relation to Nicholas Hood?)--Wayne Co. Commisioner, 2nd district
    Jai-Lee Dearing [[seems to have run for everything before)--4th distrct

and introducing one of Detroit's finest elected officials, former school board member
    Reverend David Murray, 6th district [[remember, he changed his name to Reverend, I hope no church is actually foolish enough to let him lead them).

I'm sure there are others I may not have caught, if so, be sure to add them.

All of these political candidates have a strong ties to their own districts. This is due to their high guard reputation to their families, friends and their benefactors. They have to defend political stronghold and avoid media blacklash at all cost so that they could get re-elected again.

Name recognition counts for a lot with some people.

She really needs to sit down somewhere.

Didn't she lose a run for city council last year?

I thought he just got elected to the Charter Commission?

Terrance Hood [[relation to Nicholas Hood?)--Wayne Co. Commisioner, 2nd district
    I am about sick of everything Hood.

LOL, Jai Lee is a professional candidate. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride!

Reverend David Murray, 6th district
    If anyone votes for this guy again, I swear....

This is actually an effective political strategy. If you run often enough, people start to recognize your name on the ballot, and you get voted into office. Persistence usually pays off. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    This is actually an effective political strategy. If you run often enough, people start to recognize your name on the ballot, and you get voted into office. Persistence usually pays off. *shrug*
    Why did Newark produce Cory Booker, and Detroit Kwame Kilpatrick?

Idon't think Reverend David Murray is a former school boarder

I remember some of these names from my run last year. Others are easy to find during a google or other internet search

- Reggie Reg Davis is currently on the Charter Commission
    - Mohammed Okdie ran for council ast year, is currently the chairperson of the Detroit Police Board of Police Commissioners
    - Mary Sheffield is the daughter of Horace Sheffield [[I think he's the III)
    - Stacy Pugh is the cousin of Charles Pugh
    -Yes, it is one and the same rev David Murray

Quote Originally Posted by eastsidechris View Post
    ...And secondly, I really wish the pastors would either just tend to their own flocks or step down from the leadership position in their churches if they are elected because I don't know how a person could hold two positions of power effectively. Just my two cents worth.
    Just for the record the Edgar Vann on the ballot is the son of the Bishop Edgar Vann, Jr. He is not a minister.

"She really needs to sit down somewhere." re. Waters... ROTFL! That's an old school expression and indeed de' truth! You comment re. Hood funny too as are the others -- too funny!

And the "Rev-R-And" argh! Eeek! I am not anti-clerical or church but for this 'faker': barf bag please... make the a double-lined one. LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    She really needs to sit down somewhere.

Didn't she lose a run for city council last year?

I thought he just got elected to the Charter Commission?

I am about sick of everything Hood.

LOL, Jai Lee is a professional candidate. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride!

Reverend David Murray, 6th district
    If anyone votes for this guy again, I swear....
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-20-10 at 11:18 PM.

Saw several Mo Blackwell signs around Hamtramck this week. One was at the asshole's house on the corner who decides to cut his grass only when he runs for office.

*nevermind.*

My sister refers to Jai-lee Dearing as "Y'all's Boy, Part Two." She's got a point. The man proudly points to his service on the staff of Lonnie Bates as part of his qualifications for political office.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Why did Newark produce Cory Booker, and Detroit Kwame Kilpatrick?
    Cory Booker grew up in the predominantly white, affluent town of Harrington Park in Bergin County.

Olumba John Olumba's name should be on that list. He's running for State Rep in the 5th district for the second time, and he ran for Charter Commission. These people go from one campaign to another. When do they have time to work?

Freman Hendrix resigned from the Charter Commission AND HE WAS THE CHAIRMAN! If Reggie wins, he leaves. The commission will have to start over again. What a waste, a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by FatLadySinging View Post
    Olumba John Olumba's name should be on that list. He's running for State Rep in the 5th district for the second time, and he ran for Charter Commission. These people go from one campaign to another. When do they have time to work?
    Does anyone know if he's related to Akunna Olumba, Bernard Kilpatrick's ex-girlfriend?

If you read some of the candidates websites/brochures...it's almost sad. Some are written as if they were running for 6th grade class president. Who is encouraging these people to run?
    Last edited by FatLadySinging; July-22-10 at 09:57 PM.

Just reading the list of "who's who" just made me laugh.
    At least we don't have to vote for all of them, thank GOD

I read somewhere that Mohammed Okdie's term on the Detroit Police Board of Police Commissioners is going to be ending.

Isn't Reggie Reg the former DJ that had some type of altercation with another radio host at his station where police had to be called because she said something about his campaign for city counsel last year? It sounds like he may have some anger issues, but as long as people recognize your name, you can still get elected.

Detroit will continue to struggle as long as so many people vote for the wrong reasons. "I'll vote for this person because I recognize the name. Because he was on TV. Because he used to play the Jams on the radio. Because he killed somebody and turned his life around. Because her husband is a congressman. Because I used to listen to her songs when I was in high school". Etc., etc.

Yeah, I know I wasn't exactly saying something new with that last post. Preaching to the choir, I think they call it. :-)

Voters need more fact-check'ed information on the candidates. Did Martha Reeves have a high school degree?

Detroit Free Press endorsements http://www.freep.com/article/9999999...e=ENDORSEMENTS

Detroit News
    http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...ETRO-ELECTIONS

This has been a very low-key election. No money and no interest. I predict a very low turnout. I know people who are regular voters that are sitting this one out because they have no faith in the candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sam View Post
    My sister refers to Jai-lee Dearing as "Y'all's Boy, Part Two." She's got a point. The man proudly points to his service on the staff of Lonnie Bates as part of his qualifications for political office.
    I'd be ashamed to tell it.

Mohamed Okdie: appointed by Gov. Granholm to Board of Regents, EMU

Okdie's assessment of charactor of disgraced Otis Mathes
    "Mohamed Okdie, chair of the Detroit Board of Police Commissioners, said he was shocked as well.
    "As far as I am concerned, he is one of the finest gentlemen I have ever met," Okdie said. "I have the utmost respect for him and his character."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100618/...#ixzz0uWFhIRzy

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Mohamed Okdie: appointed by Gov. Granholm to Board of Regents, EMU

Okdie's assessment of charactor of disgraced Otis Mathes
    "Mohamed Okdie, chair of the Detroit Board of Police Commissioners, said he was shocked as well.
    "As far as I am concerned, he is one of the finest gentlemen I have ever met," Okdie said. "I have the utmost respect for him and his character."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100618/...#ixzz0uWFhIRzy
    Is there a bottom? The mentally challenged students are running the school.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast