Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Wayne County to demolish 5-story building

Anyone know the building in question here? The article is not too heavy on details....

Via Crain's at
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...FREE/100729999

Wayne County to demolish 5-story building in Detroit

By The Associated Press

[[AP) — A five-story building is set for demolition on Detroit's west side as part of a project to raze 450 of the city's most dangerous structures before the end of summer.

Demolition of the building on Dexter near Joy Road is scheduled Tuesday afternoon.

Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano and religious leaders announced the ambitious project in May to tear down the structures within 45 days.

There are about 33,000 vacant houses spread across Detroit. Mayor Dave Bing is using $20 million in federal stimulus funds to demolish about 6,000 vacant homes over the next two years. He says he hopes to demolish 10,000 within four years.

The 450 structures targeted by Wayne County are among the homes on Bing's demolition list this year.

That's not enough to end Detroit's blight problem. There's still more dangerous buildings in the ghettoes waiting for some guilty squatter to come in and fell through the basement or collapse beneath the sub-floor.

I can't think of one on Dexter in that immediate area that fits that description, several large 2 1/2 story homes/flats though.

The closest I can find on Google or Bing that appears to be 5 stories is on the corner of Boston and Dexter. It's an old Masonic Temple with a liquor store on the ground floor.

jc, thats several blocks away, and Boston is well known enough of a street on its own! Darned media!

I know it's a stretch, but there is nothing else out there. Unless they meant on Joy near Dexter.

noooooo why this building? what is the point?

It's a fucking show. they really don't give a shit about tearing down dangerous structures, they just care about image and perceptions and political points. A large building "looks good" to tear down, like they are making real progress on riding the city of dangerous buildings. But I ASSURE YOU that if you look you can find rotting burnt out crack houses within blocks of this HISTORIC structure, even after this round of demos is completed. It's all a big show.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    The closest I can find on Google or Bing that appears to be 5 stories is on the corner of Boston and Dexter. It's an old Masonic Temple with a liquor store on the ground floor.
    Just east of that building is this hulking wreck. Note the roof damage in the view from above.

If the building is of historical significance and people are interested in saving it then you can attempt to get the building spared by getting it placed on the national list of historical places but you would need a prayer to get it done in time I am afraid but I don't think it would be impossible.

I heard on the radio that it's some apartment building that has been trouble for a long time

I find it funny that even the U.P. papers picked up this small story about a building no one outside of that neighborhood is familiar with:

http://www.miningjournal.net/page/co...sap=1&nav=5014

And the Chicago Tribune, for that matter:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,3004571.story

Wonder if it's that 'hulking wreck' apartment that Kwame promised to demolish 2 years ago...

Agreed. The radio sound clips from preachers "that [bad stuff] will no longer be able to take place in there" are disingenuous. I used to work in that area. Knock that building down, and there are hundreds of surrounding structures to take its place as a den of iniquity.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    noooooo why this building? what is the point?

It's a fucking show. they really don't give a shit about tearing down dangerous structures, they just care about image and perceptions and political points. A large building "looks good" to tear down, like they are making real progress on riding the city of dangerous buildings. But I ASSURE YOU that if you look you can find rotting burnt out crack houses within blocks of this HISTORIC structure, even after this round of demos is completed. It's all a big show.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Just east of that building is this hulking wreck. Note the roof damage in the view from above.
    I'm guessing that's the [[former) Boston Boulevard Apts. at 3265 W. Boston., which was listed in 1928-29, so it's at least that old. Some nice vintage bricks, there. Hope they don't go into some landfill.

Please tell me the original building in question is NOT the former Dexter Recreation Center at 9834-40 Dexter at the corner of W. Boston! That one is gorgeous!
    Last edited by kathy2trips; July-30-10 at 09:45 PM.