Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default I'm going to NYC for the first time...

... Any recommendations on events, sight-seeing or eating on a budget? I'm 25, travelling with a friend, and I'll be there Thursday through Sunday morning. We'll probably be walking the city Friday and Saturday, weather permitting.

Thanks in advance!

1) Central Park, same landscape architect as belle Isle [[Frederick Law Olmstead), the whole park; but my favorite area is the NE section with the Conservatory Garden & the Harlem Meer.
    2) If you are at the Met Museum of Art, do not miss the roof terrace. The views are breath-taking.
    3) The Cathedral of St. John the Devine at 113 and Amsterdam.
    4) The Dakota Apartment Bldg at W 72 & Central Park West. Actually, many, many of the apartments along CPW.

Wear comfortable shoes.

Please report back and let us know what you saw/liked/didn't like.
    Last edited by Neilr; April-28-09 at 02:10 PM.

The Dakota is tops on my venture to NYC.
    Empire State Building for sure.
    Take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry.
    Statue of Liberty is a given.
    Ellis Island [[I didn't get to do that on my trip).
    When you do your walking tour, make sure you stop and watch the guys on the sidewalk in front of the stores. They'll have cardboard boxes with shells on top. They'll put something underneath a shell and move the shells around. There will be people gathered, making bets on under which shell the object will turn up. Don't get into betting - just watch the professionals at work. - I know there's a certain name for these guys, but right now it escapes me. Keep your wallet in a safe place.
    People watch - that's free and it's the best entertainment!

If you haven't booked your hotel, I suggest you check out the numerous traveler hostels in NYC. Last year my daughter stayed at the Contiental Hostel on 65th street a few times and enjoyed her time there. I just checked tripadvisor and it didn't get great reviews, but there are a number of hostels that have high marks on that site.

If you've never stayed at a hostel it is a different experience than a hotel. You meet people from all over the world who are traveling on a budget. I prefer staying in hostel's because the people are more interesting, they're cheap [[around $35 a night) and if you take an adventurous attitude you'll have fun.

Of course, take your own sleeping bag, don't use their pillows and wear flip flops at all times.

Dojo West by NYU [[fouth street west of broadway) has greeat food and it can be cheaper than mcdonalds. Josie's [[upper west side) is also very good and reasonable, but expect a wait. Angelika Kitchen in union square has great vegetarian food

detmich Guest

If you do decide to visit Ellis Island/ Staue of Liberty you MUST arrive at Battery park by 7:30 AM or you will spend hours in line.

LodgeDodger Guest

All of the above, plus plan for a dinner at The Palm Restaurant.

detmich Guest

Let us know what you want to do, and we can give more suggestions.

LodgeDodger Guest

Two more things:

Walk Battery Park along the river to Pier 17. Also, if it's in town, go to see Slava's Snowshow.

I'm not sure what you're into so, all I can suggest is rest before you go, [[I cant sleep while I'm there, too much to do), take lots of cash, and visit the museums. I found an Edward Hopper painting at the Whitney that I had to study for hours.

Thanks everyone! the above suggestions are exactly what I'm looking for, sightseeing landmarks on a foot tour, affordable restaurants and good views of the city. I'm crashing at a friend's apt. so I don't need lodging.

I looked some stuff up myself, saw that the Trbecca Film Festival is still going on, might try to catch a film. I'll do museums and art galleries if the weather is inhospitable, probably stay outside more weather permitting.

Thanks again, and keep the suggestions coming! I'm planning to print off the thread 15 minutes before I'm out the door, just in case I forget anything.

-spiff

My favorite NYC day is: walk, brunch, shop, walk, sit in park, drink, people-watch, cocktail, snack, walk, chat people up, dinner....

Agreed on the rooftop at the Met. The Met is awesome, but don't try to do it all.

Depending on your tastes, MOMA can be a good stop and the bar at The Modern is a good place to get a drink and people-watch a bit [[hit the bar area and avoid the more spendy restaurant area): http://www.themodernnyc.com/.

Central Park, yes. Another fun spot is Grand Central Station. Staten Island Ferry is a great way to get on the water and enjoy views for free.

There are so many restaurants. It's a foodie paradise! I have no doubt you'll find plenty to like.

Check out the Alphabet City in the village. It is part of the East Village north of Houston [[pronounced Howston). There is a great restaurant called 7A at the corner of 7th Street and Avenue A. Great for lunch or early dinner. Lots of things to check out in this neighborhood.

Go to the top of Rockefeller Center
    Visit Grant's Tomb
    Walk around the campus of Columbia
    Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge
    Visit the World Trade Center site

Visit the boroughs:

A short subway ride will get you to Astoria in Queens, and Carroll Gardens or Park Slope in Brooklyn. If you get more adventurous, go down to Bay Ridge or Brighton Beach/Coney Island. Quaint, interesting neighborhoods.

Also, in Manhattan:

Columbia University campus [[Upper West Side)
    Lower East Side [[below Houston)
    East Village and Alphabet City, Tompkins Square Park
    Ninth Ave. in Hell's Kitchen has lots of reasonable ethnic restaurants with great food

Thanks again, everyone! I'm off, looks like a great day for a drive.

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and take the Staton Island ferry. Both are free. Best deal in New York.
    The Transit Museum in Brooklyn is also great.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    If you haven't booked your hotel, I suggest you check out the numerous traveler hostels in NYC. Last year my daughter stayed at the Contiental Hostel on 65th street a few times and enjoyed her time there. I just checked tripadvisor and it didn't get great reviews, but there are a number of hostels that have high marks on that site.

If you've never stayed at a hostel it is a different experience than a hotel. You meet people from all over the world who are traveling on a budget. I prefer staying in hostel's because the people are more interesting, they're cheap [[around $35 a night) and if you take an adventurous attitude you'll have fun.

Of course, take your own sleeping bag, don't use their pillows and wear flip flops at all times.
    There's also the HI location up on 103rd. Nice and clean. My only problem is that this place is under perpetual renovations, although they've finally moved from the interior to the exterior.

FYI, it's really up to your own personal interests on this, but I'd really suggest renting a bike. I know this may sound crazy with traffic being a hassle in NYC, but it's EXTREMELY easy to get around, and you get to see so much of the city. NYC is actually one of the safest cities to bike around, and you'll find many of the drivers there are quite accommodating to cyclists. Bike rentals average around $35/day

Why did no one warn about safety issues other than "keep you wallet in a safe place"? Central Park is a place to steer clear of at night. Many other places should be on the "watch your back" list, too.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldlady View Post
    Why did no one warn about safety issues other than "keep you wallet in a safe place"? Central Park is a place to steer clear of at night. Many other places should be on the "watch your back" list, too.
    Grumpy! We're from the "D"! We fear nothing!

Central Park. Then, think about the possibilities of Belle Isle.
    Give us a three hundred word essay on the differences and possibilities for our underused, unappreciated gem.

I still have bittersweet memories of my visit to the Big City, in a vain attempt to make a splash, back in the sixties!

Central Park is much safer than it used to be and is quite safe 'til dusk all the way up to 110th St. Of course, no park is safe after dark, not in any city.

Most areas of Manhattan have been or are being gentrified, so some high-crime areas of the past are now much safer. Notable examples would be Harlem, Alphabet City, much of the Lower East Side, and Hell's Kitchen. Still dicey: Washington Heights, Spanish Harlem.

Yep, watch out for pickpockets, especially in areas crowded with pedestrians.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Of course, no park is safe after dark, not in any city.
    Maybe you're referring to the larger parks but Boston Common, the Public Garden, and Philly's Rittenhouse Square are examples of parks that are pretty safe any time of day or night. I've seen lots of people walking through at night, including single females who normally are pretty attentive to personal safety.

I spent three days in New York, stayed at a friend's place in Brooklyn. Their neighborhood was busy, crowded, young, and loud. I ate bagels at the shop around the corner each morning, drank coffee, and chatted up other customers.

The first morning I spent in, planning the trip, and waiting on my travelling partner. We went to the West side of manhattan the first afternoon, took a walking tour from Union square south to the lower east end, had cappacino in little italy and swung through little china. Went north through neighborhoods until couldn't walk anymore. stopped for drinks along the way. ended up back in brooklyn.

The next day we went into Union Square, but walked through Wall Street, Tribeca and Soho, Battery Park, Financial District, Pier 17, took the Staten Island Ferry, and walked the Brooklyn Bridge. Checked out a series of short films at Tribeca, it was kinda disturbing. I bought a bonsai tree. We ate dinner at a great italian spot.

The last day I went to a cherry blossom festival at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden, listened to J-Pop, ate bento, and relaxed. Took the sub up to Central Park, checked out the Met, walked a transverse across Central Park, and looked at the museum of Natural History. Had dinner and drinks by NYU.

I was amazed by just how crowded, loud and tiring a full day in the city was. I met a bunch of Detroit Expats, gave them the update.

Thanks for the advice guys. I would have to say that my day in Central Park was the most enjoyable for me, I wish I had more time, and money.

Sounds like you had a good time spaceman_spiff. - good report on your trip.