Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Chi-Michigan Ave destroyed by robots

I took this shot from my office window of the filming of Transformers 3 on Michigan Ave. I hope to get a few more pics from my friend who took a bunch. They had replicas of destroyed rubble that are part of my office and the Wrigley building. Despite being made of foam, there was no way you could tell the difference.

The filming created 200 jobs and an estimated $20 million in revenue for businesses.

Last edited by wolverine; July-18-10 at 03:32 PM.

This should be moved to the Detroit thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    This should be moved to the Detroit thread!
    The Chi in the title refers to Chicago.

I do know the next portions are to be filmed in Detroit. Hopefully it brings the attention to Detroit like it has here in Chicago. It's been a huge tourist attraction which is great for all the malls and restaurants nearby. Some people linger in the area for hours to catch an explosion. Here's a few more pics

If all those wrecked cars are made of foam too, just think of all the cool practical jokes you could play with a realistic foam car!

^ It would be. Seriously even up close you can't tell. Just chuck a piece of that fake masonry at someone and see how they react.

As fake as the props are, the explosion pack a punch. The windows vibrate quite a bit. In fact one window blew out on my building, but the crews came prepared and had it fixed minutes later.

Here's some more from today. The whole set moved to Wacker Dr

Wow dude thats so badass thanks for the pics!

It was nice of those robots to carefully avoid damaging any of the lightposts during the carnage!

Thanks guys! Yes, I'm certain they'll have to edit them out. I know the only reason the crews have let us venture out onto the fire escapes in direct view of cameras is because they will CG our building getting damaged.

Here's an explosion that took place 11:45 a.m CT

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Thanks guys! Yes, I'm certain they'll have to edit them out. I know the only reason the crews have let us venture out onto the fire escapes in direct view of cameras is because they will CG our building getting damaged.

Here's an explosion that took place 11:45 a.m CT
    What's that blue thing? Is that where they will put a CGI Transformer in post production? Or just an unpainted model?