Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Steve Wilson's Replacement at 7

Scott lewis is good, but this brings up the question, why did wxyz get rid of Steve Wilson, obviously not the excuse they gave? Now I really am done with wxyz.

Mista Alan Guest

Default Scott Lewis replaces Steve Wilson at WXYZ Ch. 7

From: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-98625124.html

SOUTHFIELD Mich., July 16 /PRNewswire/ -- WXYZ-TV is proud to announce that investigative reporter Scott Lewis will be joining the Channel 7 Action News team. Lewis joins the WXYZ "On Your Side," special projects unit that includes Heather Catallo, Bill Spencer, JoAnne Purtan and Carolyn Clifford.

Lewis, a veteran broadcast journalist with more than twenty years of television experience in Detroit, has a reputation for breaking big stories, exposing corruption and getting results through his investigative efforts.

Lewis' investigations have led to the arrest and conviction of corrupt government officials, exposed a serial killer murdering prostitutes in Detroit, broke new ground in the 30-year old Oakland County child killer case, uncovered the neglect of developmentally disabled adults, and sparked a federal investigation that removed a Suburban mayor from office. Lewis' legendary "busted on the job" reports prompted crack downs by local government officials.

"Scott Lewis brings a wealth of experience and solid journalism to our team," said WXYZ-TV Vice-President and General Manager Ed Fernandez. "The addition of a new advocate for our community affirms our commitment to strong investigative journalism and our belief that this kind of reporting is more important than ever. With Scott Lewis joining our "On Your Side" team, Channel 7 continues to be the strongest viewer advocacy station in the Detroit market."

Previously, Lewis was an investigative reporter at WJBK Fox 2. He was honored by the Society of Professional Journalists as the 2001 Journalist of the year and was runner up for the award in 2006. He has received 13 Michigan Emmy Awards from the National Association of Television Arts and Sciences, and been honored with numerous awards from the Michigan Association of Broadcasters. In 2010, he received the Michigan Associated Press Lifetime Achievement Award.
    Scott Lewis begins with the WXYZ-TV Action News team on July 19. You can follow him on Facebook.

WXYZ-TV is owned by Scripps Media, Inc., a diverse, 130-year-old media enterprise with interests in television stations, newspapers, local news and information Web sites, and licensing and syndication. For a full listing of Scripps media companies and their associated Web sites, visit http://www.scripps.com/

I'll miss Steve Wilson, but it looks like Circle 7 just upgraded.

Channel 7 , their news has been stale lately. Their reporting, the other stations have had better , more current coverage lately. I like Scott Lewis, but WXYZ is not the powerhouse it once was.

Stosh Guest

Scott Lewis is the better reporter. IMHO. and he's got a considerable history here, unlike Wilson. Not going to change my viewing habits for him, though.

I tend to trust guys who live in the area.

Mista Alan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    I tend to trust guys who live in the area.
    Good point!!! Lewis is gonna kick major butt!! Very good news for DETROIT!!

still... very disappointing. Steve's investigative journalism was stellar.

Each man had talents that distinguished them from each other. We're fortunate that both of them are in the area and still working. I hope Steve Wilson recovers his health and is back chasing down the crooks that plague this City. I'm sure Scott Lewis will be back on the streets running when he starts at WXYZ-TV. Good luck and health to both men.

Mista Alan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    Each man had talents that distinguished them from each other. We're fortunate that both of them are in the area and still working. I hope Steve Wilson recovers his health and is back chasing down the crooks that plague this City. I'm sure Scott Lewis will be back on the streets running when he starts at WXYZ-TV. Good luck and health to both men.
    Well said. Both have made huge contributions to cleaning up Detroit. I'm glad Scott is back on TV as the top dog!

From TV journalist Scott Lewis joins Channel 7 team:
    Although Lewis is joining the same desk starting Monday, he is not Wilson's replacement, said Sandra McPhee, a WXYZ executive producer.

Mista Alan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    color me skeptical!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit500 View Post
    still... very disappointing. Steve's investigative journalism was stellar.
    I couldn't agree with you more, and can't wait to see how he does on his new endeavor, with good health being a priority.

My preference will remain with Channel 4, on those occasions that I view local television news. It would be nice to see more journalism and less fluff on all local news media outlets.

Mista Alan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    My preference will remain with Channel 4
    wtf? please explain!!!

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mista Alan View Post
    wtf? please explain!!!
    Actually, Bobl is correct. For local news, 4 will give you more in a half hour than any other news outlet. 2 gives you a bit at the beginning, then falls into the FOX news mode. 7 just doesn't cut it for me, although I will watch on occasion.

I've been a big fan of channel 7 for years but have to admit that when I hear a story at noon one day and the same story at noon the next day , its starting to get boring . channel 7 is basically a station that trains on air reporters as many have moved on to ABC national , a handful went to CNN etc . , but something has gotta give with the yesterdays news is old news programming style . I used to think hmmmm.... I haven't seen Steve Wilson lately he must be working on something lol
    Investigative news is great but overall , channel 7 needs to start reporting fresh stories . I still haven't heard a peep about Erik Smith , he probably has a no compete clause in his contract , so he can't speak out , but I hope he returns to the air somewhere in Detroit TV at some point . Next up Diana Lewis & Mary Conway who are both taking up space lol

Been gone too long to comment on the current lineups, but 7 was fine once they got rid of Boozer Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    I've been a big fan of channel 7 for years but have to admit that when I hear a story at noon one day and the same story at noon the next day , its starting to get boring . channel 7 is basically a station that trains on air reporters as many have moved on to ABC national , a handful went to CNN etc . , but something has gotta give with the yesterdays news is old news programming style . I used to think hmmmm.... I haven't seen Steve Wilson lately he must be working on something lol
    Investigative news is great but overall , channel 7 needs to start reporting fresh stories . I still haven't heard a peep about Erik Smith , he probably has a no compete clause in his contract , so he can't speak out , but I hope he returns to the air somewhere in Detroit TV at some point . Next up Diana Lewis & Mary Conway who are both taking up space lol
    Here's where you can keep up with Erik Smith:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Erik-S...00755969974605

Thanks for the link !

Kevin Dietz and his camera crew got on tape Kwame's lavish living and Escalades in Texas. That led to a huge credibility problem with Judge Groner. That got him the slammer this go around. Devin and Carmen are largely fluff, Carmen is not what I call an investigative or reporting genius. She was known as a radio honey back in her day. Her ship has sailed. She is nice, I don't wish her any ill will. But 4 needs better anchors. Ruth Spencer seems like she is a true journalist, at least better than Carmen. Emery King had a huge ego, but had good political expertise nationally. But this is Detroit. I rarely see Tuttman do anything anymore. Where the hell is she? Carolyn Clifford at 7 is rumored to be a diva. I like 10pm news at 2. Huel is alright, Monica not bad. Their sports guy Miller is pretty good. Don Shane is over the hill at 7. Oh well. Everybody have a great Sunday.

Ok, I realize this thread is about Steve Wilson. I wish him the best. He may have to go to print journalism to carve out a living now. Scott Lewis is good too.

I'm not a big fan of news on 2 or 4, mainly because they talk to the audience as if it were comprised of ten year-olds. "A local city councilman is in hot water tonight. We'll show you who! After the break."

At least channel seven talks to you as if you were, at least, fifteen.