Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lafayette Bldg site? Coney Park!

I'm assuming the city owns it - another ready-to-go blank space in our city all set for something better to happen. So... until that happens [[may I live that long!) here's my proposal: Coney Park! Commission a sculpture of a giant Fiberglas [[or other weatherable material) coney dog, standing on end, trimmed with chili, onions and mustard, of course. Plant a few shrubs, lay some sod, add a sidewalk to circle it, and voila! We get a park commemorating one of our contributon to world gastronomy, and a new photo op/stop for visitors. This being right near our treasured coney institutions, maybe American and Lafayette could contribute some bucks. Maybe event the Westin, too, now that the Lafayatte demolition has "improved" its hotel room views. I'll bet we could even get George Jackson to cut the ribbon! Whadaya think?

Honestly that dont sound bad.....consideering some of the other sites of interests that other cities got like Philly's giant paper clip

How about some old time amusement park rides instead? A beach?

Thanks Stylin... Observing all the people having fun with their cameras at Comerica Park's big tigers sculptures, why not add another "pop icon" for photos?

Planner: How about a Ferris wheel in the shape of a giant tire?

Bearinabox Guest

I think they should make a giant fist pointing at the Book-Cadillac.

Whadaya think?
    I need to see an artist's rendering. Gnome? Johnlodge?

Downtown Dave, I think you have a good idea.

Gnome and Johnlodge are no doubt doing intense personal research at Coney Islands across the city <burp> - and great idea, Pam!

Google image search for "weiner statue."

I figured an inflatable party hotdog would be more in line with the city's budget.

Quote Originally Posted by hazenpingree View Post
    i figured an inflatable party hotdog would be more in line with the city's budget.

lmbaoooooooooooooooooo!

Naw, if it was inflatable, then passing by party boys might take advantage of her.

I think i'd rather have a dirt lot and call it a 'pocket park'

<has something whispered in ear>

That's what's already there? Sweet!

So much for high culture... or does that take place in another park?

[quote=Downtown Dave;164287]I'm assuming the city owns it - another ready-to-go blank space in our city all set for something better to happen. So... until that happens [[may I live that long!) here's my proposal: Coney Park! Commission a sculpture of a giant Fiberglas [[or other weatherable material) coney dog, standing on end, trimmed with chili, onions and mustard, of course. Plant a few shrubs, lay some sod, add a sidewalk to circle it, and voila! We get a park commemorating one of our contributon to world gastronomy, and a new photo op/stop for visitors. This being right near our treasured coney institutions, maybe American and Lafayette could contribute some bucks. Maybe event the Westin, too, now that the Lafayatte demolition has "improved" its hotel room views. I'll bet we could even get George Jackson to cut the ribbon! Whadaya think?[/quote

Well, its a landmark in Redford:
    http://jobspage.typepad.com/coneydet...6/23/hefty.jpg

Default New update at former lafayette building!

Degc makes good on promise at lafayette building site!

Attachment 6932

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHabitater View Post
    Degc makes good on promise at lafayette building site!

Attachment 6932
    Were any homeless dudes playing "pocket pool"?

I'm sure the majority of the citizens from the city of Sarasota FL would gladly donate their famed "the kiss" statue as soon as it returns from New Jersey where it is being repaired.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixiedining/3020404166/

Why not a 2-story Wal-Mart?

After all, they are "interested" in investing in the city.

Retroit Guest

How about a Coney Dog Park, where downtown residents and visitor can take their dogs to run around? These have become quite popular, and in demand, in the suburbs.

http://www.detroitdogparks.com/

National Coney Island should buy it and build a new resturant there to Compete with Lafayette and American Coney Island...

On second thought, National would end up going out of business because they just can't compete with Lafayette and American

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    How about a Coney Dog Park, where downtown residents and visitor can take their dogs to run around? These have become quite popular, and in demand, in the suburbs.

http://www.detroitdogparks.com/

Kind of a weird place to insert a dog park, dontcha think?

I got a better idea, instead of building a downtown dog toilet, why not construct a building there? Maybe Detroit could build one for once. Other cities have tons of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    I got a better idea, instead of building a downtown dog toilet, why not construct a building there? Maybe Detroit could build one for once. Other cities have tons of these things.
    If you build facilities for people, you suddenly have a bunch of poor people standing around. If you build facilities for dogs, you suddenly have a bunch of yuppies arguing over which dog bit whom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast