Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The Zaccaro's of New York Balducci's Exits

From the food section of the New York Times
    Balducci’s Makes a Quiet Exit From Manhattan
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/27/ny...r=1&ref=dining

so even though Zaccaro's suffered in overall business, price points mean everything. I remember the early days of the 20% going out of business sale...there were more people mid day than I ever saw at Zaccaro's during normal business. It appears this operation suffered from a disconnect with its "roots" and unlike other upscale markets in metro areas didn't react to changing tastes and the lack of unlimited disposable spending. Read...chipotle raspberry finishing sauce and Bottles of Tasmanian rainwater “captured from the purest skies on earth” .

As a lifelong Detroiter, I shop at Gratiot Central, Honey Bee, Holday in Royal Oak and the occasional visit to Meijer in Allen Park. Although I appreciate the ability to buy 6 oz of Demi Glace for a special recipe it isn't a daily purchase. I found myself using Zaccaro's for the quick staple or perpared side dish but not much else.

I recently view a picture of the Crystal Loft Bldg, shortly after the remodeling in the
    1930's when Woodward was widened and guess what, it was a grocery store in the man floor space...so has anyone heard of a new venture taking that space over?

Wow, that's unbelievable. I used to shop there last year when I lived in Chelsea. I guess all good things come to an end. In the case of Zaccarro's, I was not surprised. Someone should go in and open something there with more "normal" stuff...like a really good corner store.

crawford Guest

Um, no. Nobody in New York shops at Balduccis. It's a non-factor. Nice try with the attempted parallel, though.

For one, Balducci's hasn't existed for a decade. It was bought by a Washington, DC chain called Sutton Place Gourmet, and they just used the Balducci's name. Everyone knew the real Balducci's no longer existed, and they refused to shop at the knockoff store.

For another, there are a good dozen better markets in Manhattan alone. Dean & Deluca, Zabars, Fairway, Citarella, Grace's Marketplace, Eli's Manhattan, Amish Market, Gourmet Garage, Vinegar Factory. etc. Most of these stores have at least three or four Manhattan locations.

Then there are the big chains: Whole Foods, Trader Joes, D'Agostinos, Food Emporium, etc.