Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

I expect that Bernard is next. I agree that the Kilpatricks accounts probably have been frozen. Look for Carlita, Jalopy, Jiheal, and Jupiter looking for new digs. I actually feel sorry for the kids, but I am sure some of Kwame's self entitlement mentality has rubbed off. Good bye South Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    The total amount of years stemming from these charges is over 300 years....Kawame is going to think Bernie Madoff got off easy with 150 years.
    Kilpatrick is going to plead guilty to a single charge or maybe two but he will get 20 yrs and he will disappear to a state unknown.

Lawd, you go offline and away from the TV for 2 hours, and all kinds of things happen... earthquakes! Generals fired! Federal charges!

Some of you won't understand me saying this but this indictment thing makes me mad. Yes, it sure does. They are basing these indictments on activities that span 11 years. Why didn't they indict back in '99 so that we would have never had to live the nightmare that is Kwame? And why can't we indict Carolyn Buttcheeks-Kilpatrick as well?

Some of you won't understand me saying this but this indictment thing makes me mad. Yes, it sure does. They are basing these indictments on activities that span 11 years. Why didn't they indict back in '99 so that we would have never had to live the nightmare that is Kwame? And why can't we indict Carolyn Buttcheeks-Kilpatrick as well?

Quote Originally Posted by fanniemae View Post
    I actually feel sorry for the kids
    You're a better person than me then. I have no sympathy for them at all. Not a drop.
    Last edited by Crumbled_pavement; June-23-10 at 05:15 PM.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Lawd, you go offline and away from the TV for 2 hours, and all kinds of things happen... earthquakes! Generals fired! Federal charges!
    Don't forget...they've found Asian Carp, too. Big news day.

Interesting point. Yeah, that's "stamp collecting" for a long time. Why was the delay? Is there more to come, more people to go down as rationale for the delay??
    Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post

I also question why the long delay. Either they didn't have enough solid evidence to prosecute until now or every investigation opened up new leads to other crimes requiring further investigation.

That isnt nice! You must not feel too sorry for them if you are calling them stupid names.

Quote Originally Posted by fanniemae View Post
    I expect that Bernard is next. I agree that the Kilpatricks accounts probably have been frozen. Look for Carlita, Jalopy, Jiheal, and Jupiter looking for new digs. I actually feel sorry for the kids, but I am sure some of Kwame's self entitlement mentality has rubbed off. Good bye South Lake.

No one can argue this: It's a sad, sad day in Detroit history.

A statement from Gary Brown:

Today we have all heard the news of the indictment against former Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick. Hopefully, this turn of events is the beginning of the end of corruption in Detroit so we can put this unfortunate chapter in our city’s history behind us. For too long, a “culture of corruption” has existed in Detroit. All eyes are on us – in Washington, DC, around the country and around the world – now that the indictment has come down. The young people in our city are watching how this entire situation unfolds. We must show them that values, integrity and character count; and they are all worth fighting for.

Detroiters have almost become desensitized to wrongful activity by our leaders. We must remember that no matter how powerful one is or how many supporters an elected official has, that person must follow the law and hold himself or herself to the highest level of integrity and accountability.

This is an indictment and a defendant should be deemed innocent until proven guilty. Mr. Kilpatrick will have his day in court and I believe justice will prevail. If charges are proven and guilty pleas or verdicts occur, we will have learned the lesson that any person who stands up for integrity can be the change agent needed to hold public officials accountable. We need more people to stand up and tell the truth. Too many City employees, and business and non-profit leaders, stood by who knew what was occurring which caused a severe impact to our citizens and our image that will never be quantified.

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., said, “A time comes when silence is betrayal!” in a speech at New York’s Riverside Church on April 4, 1967, entitled “Beyond Vietnam: A Time to Break Silence,” that many believe led to his assassination in Memphis, Tennessee. Detroiters have been betrayed for far too long.

We now have a new Mayor and new City Council and we are working together to move Detroit forward. This new leadership cannot fully move forward until we get past these abuses of public trust. I, for one, am encouraged that this day has finally come so we can move forward, once and for all, and put an end to the culture of corruption in Detroit.

Together, we possess the power to become the best of Detroit.

Gary A. Brown
    President Pro Tem
    Detroit City Council

Yeah, as much of a jerk and corrupt person KK is, his kids should not be part of the scorning. I really do feel for them. They must sort all this out [[hopefully) and become men one day, standing on their own... moving beyond their fathers wrong choices and decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    That isnt nice! You must not feel too sorry for them if you are calling them stupid names.

Does anyone recall during the text messaging trial when Kwame was directing Christine to just get checks from a certain fund to pay for their hotel rooms for their trysts? Wasn't that also the civic fund?

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Word of the day: overkill

The government does not need to use "overkill" to get Kwame Kilpatrick. He was so reckless that the government could pick and choose a criminal offense. They know they can nail him with the civil fund because he used whatever was in his means to live his "Puffy/Puff Daddy/P. Diddy/Diddy lifestyle. The feds know that Kilpatrick would be less than likely to fight this in court because if he is convicted for another felony then the guidelines for sentencing is different for a repeat felon which is why Sam Riddle immediately accepted a plea deal with the government after he was convicted of pulling up the shotgun.
    How about changing the word of the day from overkill, to let's make a deal

Thats why the overcharging, I'll bet they will use this to make a deal, lessen Kwame's time and get Bernard behind bars as well.

Kwames probably not guilty of all 19 counts but the Fed's have thrown enough stuff against the wall to make KK seriously want to talk a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    Does anyone recall during the text messaging trial when Kwame was directing Christine to just get checks from a certain fund to pay for their hotel rooms for their trysts? Wasn't that also the civic fund?
    [[Imitating Rip Hamilton: YES SIR)

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    How about changing the word of the day from overkill, to let's make a deal

Thats why the overcharging, I'll bet they will use this to make a deal, lessen Kwame's time and get Bernard behind bars as well.

Kwames probably not guilty of all 19 counts but the Fed's have thrown enough stuff against the wall to make KK seriously want to talk a deal.
    1st&10, the law is always "overcharging" to add on to the charges that a defendant may face. Kilpatrick was charged with 19 counts because they can prove on for each count he broke the law. That said, the government prefer to make a deal. That is why I said Kwame will plead out to one or two counts and take a 20 year sentence. Because Kilpatrick is a convicted felon, it would be in his best interest to negotiate a deal because he goes to trial and is found guilty of multiple felonies, the sentence can be a bit more harsh which is why Sam Riddle pleaded out.

Awesome. We're on CNN's front web page.

After getting done reading all of the articles and the indictment, I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop on this one [[i.e. bribery, "urban legend", etc.).

• When will we see Mama, Papa Kilpatrick and the rest of the Kilpatrick clan brought up on their own set of indictments?

• When will someone go up to Pete Karmanos and remind him what a low-grade idiot he was giving this loser a job, while simultaneously firing a number of his staff within a few days?

• When will the state take away Kwame's kids and place them in foster homes far far away from Detroit due to the fact that all of their adult relatives won't be leaving prison under their own power?

Argh... all the skeletons and ravens are flying out the closet... maybe Mike Cox may have some fish bones up in that closet too!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCP-001 View Post
    After getting done reading all of the articles and the indictment, I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop on this one [[i.e. bribery, "urban legend", etc.).

• When will we see Mama, Papa Kilpatrick and the rest of the Kilpatrick clan brought up on their own set of indictments?

• When will someone go up to Pete Karmanos and remind him what a low-grade idiot he was giving this loser a job, while simultaneously firing a number of his staff within a few days?

• When will the state take away Kwame's kids and place them in foster homes far far away from Detroit due to the fact that all of their adult relatives won't be leaving prison under their own power?

Quote Originally Posted by REL View Post
    Awesome. We're on CNN's front web page.
    Detroit will never get off the front page of national headlines. I just hope that someday in addition to the crime, corruption, population flight, and blight headlines that there will also be a headline that says something positive. One can dream, can't one?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Argh... all the skeletons and ravens are flying out the closet... maybe Mike Cox may have some fish bones up in that closet too!
    Now, now, Zacha.

Just like those 911 tapes [[and now the Mike Cox TV ads),

Here,

here,

here,

and here,

any evidence of that "urban legend" will just plain disappear.

Nothing to see here.

Move along. Move along.

These aren't the politicians you're looking for...
    [[gotta love that you can use star wars in every day life)

[quote=Bobl;157154]And so it begins, indeed!
    The Feds, who move slowly and deliberately, will be moving on to bigger fish, I believe. The culture of pay to play was begun long before Kilpatrick arrived, by what some call the McNamara Machine. This could become really interesting...[/quote]
    This is the key to this whole mess. McNamara escaped by death. The Kilpatricks were part of McNamara's machine which was being scrutinized a long time ago. They should've jumped ship but continued down their dirt road long after Ed's death. Don't forget our governor. She was in the middle of this too, whether or not she was a part of it. Really interesting, indeed.....

Retroit Guest

A lot of good that prayer rally for Kwame did. Poor "negro".

A lot of good that prayer rally for Kwame did

It brought Federal charges didn't it? I'd say that worked out.

If'n y'all believe in that sorta' stuff.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast