Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

DetroitDad Guest

Default PARK[[ing) Day In Detroit- Lets Just Try It!

http://www.parkingday.org/

Okay, this kind of seems a little out in left field, but I actually think it also looks kind of fun, like how the Northwest Suburbs close down Hines Park for bike riders every Saturday [[I think) morning, or how subdivisions have garden tours.

PARK[[ing) Day 2010 is Friday, September 17th!

Originally created by Rebar, San Francisco art and design collective, PARK[[ing) Day is an annual, one-day, global event where artists, activists, and citizens collaborate to temporarily transform metered parking spots into “PARK[[ing)” spaces: temporary public parks.

Anyone can participate in PARK[[ing) Day, though it is strictly a non-commercial project, intended to promote creativity, civic engagement, critical thinking, unscripted social interactions, generosity and play.

DetroitDad Guest

Default Park[[ing) Day on Woodward Avenue 2010

From the RogueHAA Blog.

Last Friday, HAA joined hundreds from around the world to celebrate Park[[ing) Day, a one day event that highlights the need for more livable and vibrant public spaces in our cities. With some help from Unilock and Landscape Forms, pavers and sod where placed on a parking spot at the corner of Gratiot and Woodward. Soon, there was a green patch of space, an unusual site especially when one is accustomed to see a car in its place instead. Onlookers were curious. Drivers paused. Parking enforcement stopped, then questioned, and questioned some more, but finally drove off. This was the idea—to get people to notice, ask questions, and interact. For those that stopped by, they got the message and left with a smile on their faces.

For more information on Parking Day: http://parkingday.org/

City Bird and Bureau of Urban Living Park[[ing) Day
    I love it! Here's looking forward to Park[[ing) Day 2011 in Detroit.

Default Wet Blanket

I love parking day and the creativity it spawns-However its message of green space awareness is lost on Detroit. Take a look at the Campus Martius web cam to help see my point-there are very few cars on the streets.

http://www.campusmartiuspark.org/webcam.htm
    Last edited by hamtown mike; November-24-10 at 10:16 AM. Reason: idiot spelling

That's what I thought, Hamtown Mike. I see this as being something fun in San Francisco, NYC, places with high density and not a lot open/green space. If you are looking for open outdoor space, you can't get much richer than Detroit.

Now I'm wondering what a Detroit-version of this would be. Taking over an empty storefront for a lemonade stand?