Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit Yes Members Running for Office

I am attempting to run for office, the Detroit City Charter Commission, in the August primary, and am currently in the signature gathering phase.

Are there any other Detroit Yes members out there who are running for anything in the upcoming election season?

Personally, my positions are:

1. Work to aid the effort to have the city council elected by district
    2. simplify and streamline the Detroit city charter to avoid future "double elections, " as we will see this year, and other potential problems.
    3. Create more cohesiveness between city departments.
    4. When possible, push for preservation, adaptive reuse, regionalism, urban agriculture, "rightsizing" Detroit, landbanking, school reform, small business incubation, mass transit, bicycle advocacy, environmental planning, smart growth, recycling.

If you would like to support me, join my facebook cause:

http://apps.facebook.com/causes/2745...467?m=58df6bcc

And, if you are registered to vote in Detroit, sign my nomination petition by May 10th, at either Bureau of Urban Living on Canfield, or Urban Grounds in Eastern Market on Saturdays.

So, any other candidates on here? If so, post your information, and let's help each other.
    Last edited by HazenPingree; April-27-09 at 08:49 PM.

Its funny that you mention that, becuase I am curently helping someone else whois running for thast spot as well.

Me myself I been kicking around the idea of running for City Council in about 5 years or so...

well, seeing as there can be 18 winners in the primary, I think that there is plent of room for both of us! best of luck to your friend. If you are feeling generous, sign my petition. I will sign your friend's as well. :-)

If people were willing to make a contribution, where should they send it?

My name is Matthew Naimi and I am running for a seat on Detroit City Council. Check out my platform website at:

www.vote4growth.com

Let me know if you would like to help out in any way.

You can sign my nominating petition at all Recycle Here! Locations, Canine to Five, and the Bureau of Urban Living.

Matthew Naimi

Sounds like the Bureau of Urban Living is a hot spot for petition signings.

Quote Originally Posted by andylinn View Post
    I am attempting to run for office, the Detroit City Charter Commission, in the August primary, and am currently in the signature gathering phase.

Are there any other Detroit Yes members out there who are running for anything in the upcoming election season?

2. simplify and streamline the Detroit city charter to avoid future "double elections, " as we will see this year, and other potential problems.
    4. When possible, push for preservation, adaptive reuse, regionalism, urban agriculture, "rightsizing" Detroit, landbanking, school reform, small business incubation, mass transit, bicycle advocacy, environmental planning, smart growth, recycling.
    If you would like to support me, join my facebook cause:

http://apps.facebook.com/causes/2745...467?m=58df6bcc

And, if you are registered to vote in Detroit, sign my nomination petition by May 10th, at either Bureau of Urban Living on Canfield, or Urban Grounds in Eastern Market on Saturdays.

So, any other candidates on here? If so, post your information, and let's help each other.

Give me an example of rightsizing.

I think Andy means reducing their infrastructure costs by shutting down parts of the city that are extremely sparsly populated and moving those few residents to more dense parts of the city.

Right, Andy?

Quote Originally Posted by Hans57 View Post
    I think Andy means reducing their infrastructure costs by shutting down parts of the city that are extremely sparsly populated and moving those few residents to more dense parts of the city.

Well the world turns
    and a hungry little boy with a runny nose
    plays in the street as the cold wind blows
    In the ghetto

And his hunger burns
    so he starts to roam the streets at night
    and he learns how to steal
    and he learns how to fight
    In the ghetto

4. When possible, push for preservation, adaptive reuse, regionalism, urban agriculture, "rightsizing" Detroit, landbanking, school reform, small business incubation, mass transit, bicycle advocacy, environmental planning, smart growth, recycling..
    I think your positions represent 99% of what every sane Detroiter wants to see, my only issue is how do you get to the positions you give. Its one thing to say what you want its another to have a plan as to how to get there.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I think your positions represent 99% of what every sane Detroiter wants to see, my only issue is how do you get to the positions you give. Its one thing to say what you want its another to have a plan as to how to get there.
    Since he's running for the city charter commission, I'd imagine he plans to "get there" by amending the city charter.

Welll you get the results by electing people. The only way he will have any chance of making the changes he proposes is by holding the power of office. As for implementing the changes while in office, its usually based on government-citizen cooperation, political cooperation, ample funding, and wide-spread support... All things Detroit has had trouble with.

What I'm saying is his plan to get there is by getting elected. And he's campaigning on this thread so theres a start...

NOVINE, regarding making a donation, if you were referring to me, I am honored. Once I collect enough signatures and am officially a candidate, I will organize an election committee, hold a fund raiser, and at that time, I would be very appreciative of a donation. For now, though, if you were able to sign a petition, [[at Bureau, for example) that would be the best help. Thank you very much.

THE RECYCLING GUY, Matt, I am a big booster of yours. I have already signed one of your petitions, and wish you the best of luck. You have my vote and my full endorsement.

KRAIG / HANS57, Yes, Hans is correct. I am currently writing my masters thesis on the topic of what would happen to Detroit if we were NOT to do this. However, I should clarify that I am NOT advocating for emminant domain and haphazardly throwing poor residents out on the street.

I am advocating instead for creating a community-driven rightsizing masterplan, as seen in Youngstown, Ohio, that calls for shut down of already empty blocks first, turning them over to forresters, farmers, and gardeners, and then slowy - over the course of a years - assisting citizens [[both financially and physically) who are living in dangerous and desolate neighborhoods with moves to a more economically diverse urban core, which would create a more traditional and attractive urban density, turning formerly blighted and dangerous neighborhoods into a greenbelt.

This would not only allow these citizens access to jobs and safety, but would also, through population concentration, save the city of Detroit millions of dollars annually, boost property values, reduce blight and crime, and reduce the strain on some city resources. This plan is not something that I have dreamed up, but rather one that has been bounced around the CAY Municipal Building since 1993, and I believe it is a plan with merit.
    Last edited by HazenPingree; April-28-09 at 12:48 PM.

Sounds like a really good idea, if not one that would take quite a while to accomplish. I will be going to sign your petition today. Good luck!

NOVINE, regarding making a donation, if you were referring to me, I am honored. Once I collect enough signatures and am officially a candidate, I will organize an election committee, hold a fund raiser, and at that time, I would be very appreciative of a donation. For now, though, if you were able to sign a petition, [[at Bureau, for example) that would be the best help. Thank you very much.

THE RECYCLING GUY, Matt, I am a big booster of yours. I have already signed one of your petitions, and wish you the best of luck. You have my vote and my full endorsement.

KRAIG / HANS57, Yes, Hans is correct. I am currently writing my masters thesis on the topic of what would happen to Detroit if we were NOT to do this. However, I should clarify that I am NOT advocating for emminant domain and haphazardly throwing poor residents out on the street.

I am advocating instead for creating a community-driven rightsizing masterplan, as seen in Youngstown, Ohio, that calls for shut down of already empty blocks first, turning them over to forresters, farmers, and gardeners, and then slowy - over the course of a years - assisting citizens [[both financially and physically) who are living in dangerous and desolate neighborhoods with moves to a more economically diverse urban core, which would create a more traditional and attractive urban density, turning formerly blighted and dangerous neighborhoods into a greenbelt.

This would not only allow these citizens access to jobs and safety, but would also, through population concentration, save the city of Detroit millions of dollars annually, boost property values, reduce blight and crime, and reduce the strain on city. This plan is not something that I have dreamed up, but rather one that has been bounced around the CAY Municipal Building since 1993, and I believe it is a plan with merit.

Thanks for that very detailed answer, you have my support. Good luck to you.

I'm a bit confused, and since I'm voting in august for city council members, I'd like to be more informed. What's the difference between me voting for a council member and a city charter commission member?

Also, I read the example voter ballot that they send out in the mail for the upcoming mayoral vote. There was a provision we could vote for, about the city charter commission - but all it stated was whether I wanted them to make changes to the charter.... but nothing specific. I definitely want there to be changes... but I want to vote for specifics.

please exlpain!!

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dcmorrison12 View Post
    I'm a bit confused, and since I'm voting in august for city council members, I'd like to be more informed. What's the difference between me voting for a council member and a city charter commission member?

Also, I read the example voter ballot that they send out in the mail for the upcoming mayoral vote. There was a provision we could vote for, about the city charter commission - but all it stated was whether I wanted them to make changes to the charter.... but nothing specific. I definitely want there to be changes... but I want to vote for specifics.

please exlpain!!
    If you vote for a council member, and they get elected, they will serve on the city council. If you vote for a charter commission member, and they get elected, they will serve on the city charter commission. They are two different positions.

pertaining to the city charter commission - will residents have any input with the changes, or is our only input the people whom we vote in to make the changes?

I think we need to set rules like:

#1 - no Motown stars may run, unless they have their own opinions
    #2 - a plaque must be made stating "Monica Conyers is, and always will be remembered as, a f*cking MORON!" [[ you know.. just so it's official)
    #3 - If you want to be on American Idol, winning a seat on the Detroit City Council may NOT be used as a stage to audition!
    #4 - you must know whether you have a brother or not!
    #5 - plans to revitatlize the city must be formed and publicized, the city council is not just an easy 80 grand a year!
    #6 - council members may NOT watch animated movies! [["Shrek!!")
    #7 - Lawyers have no idea how to bring budgets under control, some sort of finance knowledge should be required
    #8 - All council members must understand Detroit is NOT black city! - it has mexicans, polish, whites, blacks, asians and etc.

care to add on anyone?
    Last edited by dcmorrison12; April-28-09 at 01:19 PM.

the Freedom Institute & NAACP are having the Freedom Weekend events this weekend at Cobo, Thursday through Sunday-- probably lots of foot traffic for potential signatures..

just yesterday at Berts on Broadway downtown there was a meet & greet with a handful of candidates for different local offices [[mostly city council, though mayor Cockrel was there also).. organized by Michigan Young Democrats.. Charles Pugh was there as well..

the city charter needs to be totally dissolved and re-drafted from the bottom up.. eliminate all loopholes for favortism in contracts/hiring, etc.

downsize the decaying/abandoned neighborhoods of the city.. consolidate land for future reuse of various kinds.. make attracting/developing green industry a priority.. stop the rationale that automatically equates smokestacks with civilization..

DC,
    Clarity: The vote on May 5th will allow for a redraft of the city charter if approved than 18 members need to be elected to draft/revise the new city charter in august.

The august election will also be used for electing our next nine city coucil members..

Default Proposal C and the Detroit City Charter

Urban, you're on the right track with a few corrections; the final Charter Commission will only have 9 members. If Proposal C passes on May 5th, in August we will cull the top 18 candidates from a larger pool of Charter Commission candidates [[currently about 40 persons). From that pool of 18, you will select 9 members at the November 3, General Election.

The commission will hold community meetings to help determine what kinds of changes the electorate would like to see [[I hear a LOT calling for council by district, less mayoral power and fewer mayoral appointments). These revision meetings would occur over a 2-3 year period during which time the commission will work on drafting a new, revised or amended charter to submit to the governor. At the end of the 3 year period [[or sooner), whatever is approved by the governor will then go to the voters to decide. Yes, there is a difference between revised and amended. More on that later...

Ultimately, the final decision rests with the voters.

Having said all that, I too am running for Detroit Charter Commission. My name is Cara Blount and I hope to discuss this further with all of you in person somewhere, at some time. Feel free to email me at Blount4charter@yahoo.com if you'd like to arrange a block club or other community meeting.....stepping off my soapbox now....

Quote Originally Posted by MsChievous View Post
    Urban, you're on the right track with a few corrections; the final Charter Commission will only have 9 members. If Proposal C passes on May 5th, in August we will cull the top 18 candidates from a larger pool of Charter Commission candidates [[currently about 40 persons). From that pool of 18, you will select 9 members at the November 3, General Election.

The commission will hold community meetings to help determine what kinds of changes the electorate would like to see [[I hear a LOT calling for council by district, less mayoral power and fewer mayoral appointments). These revision meetings would occur over a 2-3 year period during which time the commission will work on drafting a new, revised or amended charter to submit to the governor. At the end of the 3 year period [[or sooner), whatever is approved by the governor will then go to the voters to decide. Yes, there is a difference between revised and amended. More on that later...

Ultimately, the final decision rests with the voters.

Having said all that, I too am running for Detroit Charter Commission. My name is Cara Blount and I hope to discuss this further with all of you in person somewhere, at some time. Feel free to email me at Blount4charter@yahoo.com if you'd like to arrange a block club or other community meeting.....stepping off my soapbox now....

Were you on Inside Detroit this morning?

Yes,that was me.

Likewise, if anyone would like to speak with me, or have me attend a local townhall or community meeting, please send me an email, or post on this thread.

andylinn@gmail.com

MsChievous, if you would like, shoot me an email, I would be interested in your platform. Once I have my signatures filed, I would like to build a 4-5 member Council by Districts slate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast