Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: The Rathnaw

Default The Rathnaw

I found this picture while doing some sorting. I tried searching here and google, but no luck. Does anyone have any details on what this building was?

Corner of Forest and Chene. That red building back there is the Dom Polski, with a 31-room residence and 7000sqft auditorium. It can be yours for $225,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Corner of Forest and Chene. That red building back there is the Dom Polski, with a 31-room residence and 7000sqft auditorium. It can be yours for $225,000.
    Thank you, I'd completely forgotten where I'd taken the picture.

A Google Maps closeup shows "beer / wine / money order" signs just right of the door. Must have been just a party store. Interesting building though.

I believe it was once a drug store, if I remember correctly.

It was a men's clothing store.

The Chene Business District from E. Forest to the Borders of Hamtramck was packed back in the good ole days of Ethnic Detroit [[ Polonia/Poletown) community. Now its urban prarie ruled by giant rats, pigeon rats, stay wild dogs, [[sometimes coyotes, skunks and raccons and garden snakes) wild cats, po'folks, schizoblacks and mutants. That area is going back to nature. Grow those trees, cover those vacant and abandon buildings. I would like to see a big forest over Detroit's Lower East Side.

FYI here is the Dom Polski listing:

http://www.roofcleaningbook.com/detroit_lofts.html

Don't try talking him down, word on the street is he won't budge, despite some very lucrative cash offers!

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    FYI here is the Dom Polski listing:

http://www.roofcleaningbook.com/detroit_lofts.html

Don't try talking him down, word on the street is he won't budge, despite some very lucrative cash offers!
    Why hasn't that been done in the CBD?

Quote Originally Posted by detroiturbex View Post

I found this picture while doing some sorting. I tried searching here and google, but no luck. Does anyone have any details on what this building was?
    For years and years it was Jenny Randazzos party store, she was an eccentric old lady who was a fixture in the area. Place had a fire that killed off the business about 8 years ago. From what I understand, she died a few years back.

Thanks everyone for the information, I really appreciate it. The next time I'm in the area I'll stop by and try to get some better pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by detroiturbex View Post

I did a search of the WSU Virtual Motor City images for "Rathnaw" and came up with this: http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/imag...view=thumbnail

Anthony J. Rathnaw, Detroit Haberdasher, 1940's. So, it's formerly a men's hat store. Amazing that the facade still is visible, it's been 70 years!! I live near this building and was always fascinated by it....

I remember going around the back of Rathnaw's last winter one day and found a way inside. I beleive it is now sealed up again, but the inside was so bad that Detroit Zack and I didn't take a single pictue. the floor was collapsed and clothing all over.

As mentioned, it was a men's clothing store.
    I have a book from my mother and fathers wedding [[1951) entitled wedding memories. Rathnaw's Formal Attire for men is written on the back.

Default Rathnaw Bldg

Thought you might be interested in seeing this photo. Taken c.1989 when the building was in a little better shape. If you are interested in the Poletown area check out bruceharkness.com, Poletown and Urban Interiors chapters.Name:  Rathnaw Bldg c.1989.jpg
Views: 2917
Size:  60.2 KB

For those who might be interested in the history of the Dom Polski Hall:
    http://www.hornman-detroit.com/index.cgi?page=dompolski

Welcome to the forum, Dutch. Are you associated with the doughnut shop"?

Stromberg2