Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default We can change the way the world perceives Detroit!

Today I received a comment on my Detroit related photo blog that warmed my heart and made me realize that Detroiters can change the way the rest of the planet perceives us.

JJ from Jersey City wrote:

Wonderful photojournalism, you document city life there so well, before following your posts I have to be honest I had no intention of ever visiting there, but now its on my wish list of places to see

My response:

@JJ: Wow, thank you JJ, you have no idea how good hearing that makes me feel. Part of the of my reasoning for blogging about Detroit was the negative way it is perceived by the rest of the planet. In 2008 I spent the winter in Utila Honduras working with people from all over the world. It was during that time the former Mayor’s text messaging sex scandal hit the news. In conversations I was shocked to see how people from other places viewed Detroit. Part of what I am trying to do here is show folks the Detroit that makes my heart beat a little faster. She does have some issues but she’s easy to love.

I guess what I am trying to say in this post is, let Time, Night Line, NY Times and all the national media see and write what they choose, but Detroiters have the power to show the world the real Detroit.
    Last edited by rajdet; July-14-10 at 06:39 PM.

Hi Rajdet -- can you post a link to your blog? Thank you!

Wow, gorgeous work!

I know what you mean, so many have a negative perception about the City. I had an out of town colleague do a site visit from Tucson, AZ and he was just amazed at the sights here..[[Belle Isle, the Guardian, Heidelberg, Slow's...you get the picture..)

LodgeDodger Guest

Roq's right...that is some gorgeous photography. Thank you for sharing.

Very nice Radjet. Your site has deservedly been added to the DetroitYES links listing.

Default Great Pictures!

These are inspirational pictures of Detroit and its people. I've lived here for 40 years and they made me feel enthused! Everyone should look at them.

Rajdet, your photos are great! I saw that you had an exhibit in April -- will you be having another anytime soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Very nice Radjet. Your site has deservedly been added to the DetroitYES links listing.
    Lowell, just want to point out the misspelling of Rajdet's name in the links listing. Could you edit that? Thank you!

Default Toledo visitors

WONDERFUL LINK... the photos are so captivating.
    They do make you want to go out and enjoy life.. upbeat & motivating.

The DYS has some of the worlds greatest people posting.. thanks to all of you.

WONDERFUL LINK... the photos are so captivating.
    They do make you want to go out and enjoy life.. upbeat & motivating.

The DYS has some of the worlds greatest people posting.. thanks to all of you.

Last week a couple we met from Toledo visited Detroit and had a wonderful time and plan on visiting again with some friends!
    Detroit was their first destination of their MI travel adventure.