Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Just In: Vinton Building collapsing?

A column of bricks from the facade of the 12-story Vinton Building at Woodward and Congress has come crashing down on the sidewalk, frightening passersby and rattling nearby businesses. The bricks fell from the second floor, where the remaining bricks appear loose. Cops guarding scene.

HOLY CRAP IN A HAT! This is horrible. I hope this doesn't lead to the DEGC to Lafayette Building it.
    Too bad that renovation didn't pan out.

DEGC = "Demolish Everything!" George cried

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    A column of bricks from the facade of the 12-story Vinton Building at Woodward and Congress has come crashing down on the sidewalk, frightening passersby and rattling nearby businesses. The bricks fell from the second floor, where the remaining bricks appear loose. Cops guarding scene.
    You answered your own question. If the fallen bricks are, in fact, from the facade, then this has no bearing on the integrity of the structure.

If anyone can post photos of the incident, it will be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    You answered your own question. If the fallen bricks are, in fact, from the facade, then this has no bearing on the integrity of the structure.
    Agreed, ghetto, but tell that to the DEGC. After all, the Lafayette Building's "collapse was imminent" because a chunk of cornice fell, remember?

All one has to do is look at the Clifford St. side of the 18 story United Artists office tower to determine if "collapse is imminent"... In the 1980s an avalanche of face bricks fell onto several unfortunate cars parked along Clifford. That structure is currently being rehabbed.... after a lapse of over 2 decades....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    All one has to do is look at the Clifford St. side of the 18 story United Artists office tower to determine if "collapse is imminent"... In the 1980s an avalanche of face bricks fell onto several unfortunate cars parked along Clifford. That structure is currently being rehabbed.... after a lapse of over 2 decades....
    It's being rehabbed? I just thought they were cleaning it out? And again, Gistok, no one but the DEGC thinks a few bricks falling means the building has to go. I'm worried about the DEGC or B&S's reactions to this news.

Buildingsofdetroit... go check out the UA Theatre thread and read posts #315, #320 and look at the 1st image of post #323.

How sad Buildings of Detroit. You've coined a new Motor City verb: Lafayette Building it. Next step? Adamo it?

If you want a laugh [[outside I'm smiling, inside I'm crying) read Adamo's history page on their website: http://adamogroup.org/about/index.html I was particularly impressed by this:

Proud of its heritage and history in Detroit, Adamo was certified as a Detroit Based Enterprise [[DBE) in 1996 and has since expanded its facilities and reaffirmed its commitment to working with and supporting the city.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    How sad Buildings of Detroit. You've coined a new Motor City verb: Lafayette Building it. Next step? Adamo it?
    It's called Adamolition.

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post
    It's called Adamolition.
    Indeed. . . .

Here's a photo of the collapsed section: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6270976_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Agreed, ghetto, but tell that to the DEGC. After all, the Lafayette Building's "collapse was imminent" because a chunk of cornice fell, remember?
    Are you talking about the original roof cornice or some that slate crap that looked liked it was liquid nailed in the late 70s?

Here's a photo of the collapsed section: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6270976_n.jpg
    Looking at that, it seems like it's nothing to worry about. Probably just stems from some water damage working under the bricks. Nothing a little mortar can't fix.

Certainly nothing that mortar can't fix - but when has "nothing that mortar can't fix" ever fallen upon the city's ears as anything but "tear that schitt down"? I agree that it's not nearly as bad as I had feared when I first heard about it.
    The weird thing is that the brick and mortar was worked on during the failed restoration project. Surprised this happened.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    DEGC = "Demolish Everything!" George cried
    Okay - that has to be the best alternate meaning of DEGC yet.

Kudos, my friend.

Has ownership of e building reverted to the degc?

Some DetroitYes regulars were rehabbing the building a while back, but plans fell through. I reiterate MDoyle's query -- who is the current owner, what are the plans?

Wow! this thread turned out to be a giant "The Sky is Falling!" Clearly from the photo the building is not in danger of imminent collapse. Still, you never know what George "Demolition Man" Jackson will try to get away with.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I was right around the corner when those bricks came off of the UA Building. We thought the whole building came down it was so loud and shakey. Yeah, at least a couple cars were completely flattened. They were sitting on the north side of Clifford right around the corner from Bagley.

From looking at the photo, it appears as if a window opening may have been at that location at one time. It's hard to tell what the edge condition of the remaining brick veneer looks like, though.

It does appear, though, that whomever installed the outer veneer didn't like to use masonry anchors, which are required by Code. When you don't install anchors, you rely strictly on the mortar to hold everything together. Mortar deteriorates and loses integrity over time. Boom.

But let's see if DEGC actually gets an engineer involved before committing public funds to demolition this time. :-)

Hardly serious at all. Probably some water infiltration behind that pushed the outer layer of bricks off. Most cities building owners are constantly inspecting facades for this kind of thing. Don't know about Detroit though

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    It does appear, though, that whomever installed the outer veneer didn't like to use masonry anchors, which are required by Code. When you don't install anchors, you rely strictly on the mortar to hold everything together. Mortar deteriorates and loses integrity over time. Boom.
    Or it could be that whomever did the masonry work didn't replace a bad shelf angle, and when it failed, boom. If that's the case, you have to wonder about the state of the shelf angle in the rest of the building.

Sixty-Seven percent of the buildings of Downtown Detroit are made out of bricks, pewbic tiles, sandstones, marbles and assorted rocks. Maintain these structures takes time and lots of money. If those pieces of tiles fall unexpectally to a person could mean lawsuit galore. The best you all can do when walking Downtown Detroit is watch for falling bricks.

I see an opportunity for someone to sell hardhats to pedestrians at that corner.

There appear to be some cracks in that particular section in the Google Maps Streetview.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast