Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default '80s group "People Who Run Downtown"

Curious if groups like People Who Run Downtown, an an after work group for runners and walkers that met on Tuesdays, is still around. I took part in a number of the after work runs in the '80s that socialized afterward at a different bar each Tuesday.

In winter, People Who Run Downtown had access to Cobo Center. Is Cobo still available for runner and walkers in winter?

What brought this to mind was discussions about physical fitness and weight management in which I have suggested that people not up for running form informal "walking teams." But instead of meeting once a week, walking teams would meet any day of the week that two or more people showed up.

The goal would be to walk for one hour without stopping. Walk for 30 minutes and then head back to a bar or restaurant or someone's home. Part of my idea about walking teams was inspired by a woman I know in Colorado Springs that walks four miles every day in an hour after work, year around. Man, I said to her. In that altitude, in that weather--that's dedicated.

I said to her that it would take some peer pressure, like that of a walking team, for me to show up three to five times a week to walk that much.

I don't know about the group you mentioned, but my wife is very active with the Downtown Runners and Walkers. http://downto.hostme.com/

It's a great group and they have a lot of fun.

I have a letter from the 'People Who Run Downtown', on CBD stationary, signed by many of the runners, thanking me for hosting their group. I was a runner myself, at the time, but don't recall running with them, at least not regularly. They usually had many dozens of runners in good weather, but less in bad weather. I don't know how to contact them. The previous post here is probably your best lead.

I used to belong to the Motor City Strider's back in the late 80's and we would run around downtown always ending up at a watering hole all sweaty and funky.

They re-organized as the "People Running From Downtown".

I always thought the Motorcity Striders had the coolest sporting name in town.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    I used to belong to the Motor City Strider's back in the late 80's and we would run around downtown always ending up at a watering hole all sweaty and funky.
    I ran with the Motor City Striders and the Belle Isle Running Club at Belle Isle in the late 70's and early80's. Usually about 5:30 - 7AM. Ouch!!! Especially ouch in the winter. Big Boy On East Jefferson for coffee and the Gnome [[Majestic Cafe) on weekends for coffee and brunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Let's not forget long running Motorcity Striders. I always thought they had one of the coolest sporting names in town.
    Right on. There were couple of women that were world class run-walkers out there with us regularly. Even a short time before delivering their children. I think one was named Jeanne Bieri. That's pretty f+_%&@#g impressive.

No, I think her name was Jeanne Bocci.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    I don't know about the group you mentioned, but my wife is very active with the Downtown Runners and Walkers. http://downto.hostme.com/

It's a great group and they have a lot of fun.
    thanks for the link I have always thought about joining a group like this...

The group "People Who Run [[and Walk) Downtown" renamed themselves as "Downtown Runners & Walkers", at the site mentioned above [[http://downto.hostme.com), and are still going strong. I was with them last night at Harry's on Clifford, near the Fox Theatre. We get together every Tuesday evening at an area bar/pub/restaurant, for a run or walk in the local area [[maps are handed out at the start of the run), and gather back at the restaurant to cool off and relax with friends.

The Belle Isle Runners [[no official website) get together every Saturday at the Big Boy Restaurant across from the MacArthur Bridge [[aka Belle Isle Bridge), run/walk around the island, then return to the restaurant for coffee.

The Motor City Striders [[http://www.motorcitystriders.com/) don't run much downtown, but are very active in the suburbs.

The Belle Isle Runners and DTRW are very much involved with the Fifth Third Bank 41st Annual Belle Isle New Year's Eve Family Fun Run/Walk [[http://www.belleislefunrun.com), this Friday, Dec 31. It's a great, fun event for runners and walkers of any ability.

-- Jerry

[[full disclosure: I am the Co-Race Director for the event.)

[[also, my mother is Jeanne Bocci; she has held most of the world records for Master's Women's Racewalking at one point or another, and was just 1 position short of qualifying for the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul, South Korea... many years AFTER having us kids.)

Once the city hurry up and open Atwater street runners could run up the riverwalk or Atwater to the Dequindre Cut to Gratiot and to downtown again

This name would also be a pretty interesting name for a band... When I read the thread title I thought it actually was a band from the 80s I was not aware of... Veddy interestink....

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBocciJr View Post
    The group "People Who Run [[and Walk) Downtown" renamed themselves as "Downtown Runners & Walkers", at the site mentioned above [[http://downto.hostme.com), and are still going strong. I was with them last night at Harry's on Clifford, near the Fox Theatre. We get together every Tuesday evening at an area bar/pub/restaurant, for a run or walk in the local area [[maps are handed out at the start of the run), and gather back at the restaurant to cool off and relax with friends.

The Belle Isle Runners [[no official website) get together every Saturday at the Big Boy Restaurant across from the MacArthur Bridge [[aka Belle Isle Bridge), run/walk around the island, then return to the restaurant for coffee.

The Motor City Striders [[http://www.motorcitystriders.com/) don't run much downtown, but are very active in the suburbs.

The Belle Isle Runners and DTRW are very much involved with the Fifth Third Bank 41st Annual Belle Isle New Year's Eve Family Fun Run/Walk [[http://www.belleislefunrun.com), this Friday, Dec 31. It's a great, fun event for runners and walkers of any ability.

-- Jerry

[[full disclosure: I am the Co-Race Director for the event.)

[[also, my mother is Jeanne Bocci; she has held most of the world records for Master's Women's Racewalking at one point or another, and was just 1 position short of qualifying for the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul, South Korea... many years AFTER having us kids.)
    Congratulations. I never knew your mom well, other than in passing and occasional conversation at running/walking events, but I sure admired her. Good to hear from you. Hope your family is doing well. Happy New Year. If your groups ever run/walk in Hamtown, holler at me. I'd like to host them in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Congratulations. I never knew your mom well, other than in passing and occasional conversation at running/walking events, but I sure admired her. Good to hear from you. Hope your family is doing well. Happy New Year. If your groups ever run/walk in Hamtown, holler at me. I'd like to host them in some way.
    The "committee" will be getting together in the next month [[or two?), to figure out where the group will be each Tuesday for the next 6 months. I'll be sure to mention your offer! [[That's Skipper's Hamtown, right?)

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBocciJr View Post
    The "committee" will be getting together in the next month [[or two?), to figure out where the group will be each Tuesday for the next 6 months. I'll be sure to mention your offer! [[That's Skipper's Hamtown, right?)
    Correct.....WWW.SKIPPERSHAMTOWN.COM