Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default For Dog Lovers - Parvovirus is rampant in Detroit, Pontiac, Inkster

Hello my fellow forumers, Just wanted to share with you all a very traumatic experience my family and I just went through. I have a 12 week old rottweiler puppy, who contracted the parvovirus about a week ago. Through much research and discussions with our veterinarians, we learned that the parvovirus has been rampant in certain parts of southeast michigan over the last 18 months, [[Detroit is a major hotspot; Pontiac and Inkster also). Despite being current on all of his vaccinations, our puppy was very near death, and thanks to a lot of prayer, a very diligent veterinarian and his staff, he survived the odds that were very, very slim at best! I wanted to share this with the DYes family so that for those of you who are dog lovers and have dogs, or otherwise, you take care in ensuring that your pets are kept up-to-date on their vaccinations, and be cautious of where you allow your little ones to go. The parvovirus is vicious and it kills puppies very quickly; especially the rottweiler, and doberman breeds. Our miracle puppy is doing well today, and is expected to make a full recovery. I am certainly sympatheic to those who have had puppies that did not make it. We give thanks everyday to the the good Lord, Harper Woods Veterinarian Hospital and the ER Critical care staff; for without them he would have surely died. Giving Grace to God and all that he is capable of....Thanks for reading.

LodgeDodger Guest

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm glad the puppy is doing well. It's so important to keep your animal updated on shots and to make sure they're neutered.

Good luck.

Thanks for the warning. Any idea how they contract it? I have a lab-rottie mix and I want to be sure to keep him away from whatever the source/host might be.

P.S. Got any pictures of your puppy that you can post so we can all say "awwwww"?

Here are a couple of links with the story:
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/18796281/detail.html
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/family...53/detail.html

Another link that talks about the details of the virus:
    http://www.sheltermedicine.com/porta...s_canine.shtml

I will work on posting a pic. Thanks for the well wishes.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Taxpayer7 View Post
    Hello my fellow forumers, Just wanted to share with you all a very traumatic experience my family and I just went through. I have a 12 week old rottweiler puppy, who contracted the parvovirus about a week ago. Through much research and discussions with our veterinarians, we learned that the parvovirus has been rampant in certain parts of southeast michigan over the last 18 months, [[Detroit is a major hotspot; Pontiac and Inkster also). Despite being current on all of his vaccinations, our puppy was very near death, and thanks to a lot of prayer, a very diligent veterinarian and his staff, he survived the odds that were very, very slim at best! I wanted to share this with the DYes family so that for those of you who are dog lovers and have dogs, or otherwise, you take care in ensuring that your pets are kept up-to-date on their vaccinations, and be cautious of where you allow your little ones to go. The parvovirus is vicious and it kills puppies very quickly; especially the rottweiler, and doberman breeds. Our miracle puppy is doing well today, and is expected to make a full recovery. I am certainly sympatheic to those who have had puppies that did not make it. We give thanks everyday to the the good Lord, Harper Woods Veterinarian Hospital and the ER Critical care staff; for without them he would have surely died. Giving Grace to God and all that he is capable of....Thanks for reading.
    Wow, sorry to hear about your puppy. Maybe I missed something, but you mentioned the dog was up to date on its shots - did it not yet receive the parvo vaccine? Maybe too young still? Was just curious.

Anyway, glad to hear the doggy came through it ok!!

vaccinate vaccinate VACCINATE..... every 3 years i think ANd puppies should have controlled contact , meaning no new dogs till all their shots are complete. Just mom and the littermates.

Its usually contracted by contact with an infected dogs feces.
    Last edited by n7hn; July-14-10 at 01:48 PM.

Taxpayer7,

Sorry about your puppy and I’m glad to hear he’s doing well now. I know how hard it is to deal with the parvo virus, we once had a litter of puppies that got it. Unfortunately, two of the puppies had gone to new homes after they were exposed, but before we knew, and they didn’t make it. Luckily, we were able to save the 6 remaining puppies thanks to a fantastic vet who went above and beyond for us. They had all had their shots, but if I remember correctly, it takes a while for their immune systems to build a tolerance the virus.

oh,, and just say no to used and resale dog items, IE crates, beds, doghouses, toys.... IF they must be used, a light bleach wash and rinse should kill any contamination

Im glad your friend is ok.

n7hn, you are correct. Our puppy was 11 weeks old when he came down with the parvovirus. He was 7 weeks old when he received his first parvo vaccine from the breeder, and then another one at 10 weeks from the vet. we don't believe it came from the breeder because none of the other puppies got sick [[my brother bought one of his litter mates and he is doing fine); perhaps from walking him or our lawn guy could have brought it over from another customer's lawn. In any event, we were told that they need to get through a series of 4 parvo vaccinations before they are safe. Once they've had it, they are immuned to the virus if they make it through. He is well on the path to recovery.

Michigan Guest

This happens everywhere! What's the big deal, it's not like dogs don't die on the New York Subways or in Lincoln Park while visiting Chicago! God why blame Detroit?!?!?!?

Glad your puppy is on the mend, taxpayer. Thanks for the info.

artds,
    I finally figured out how to post the pics, here are a couple.....first two are before parvo, third one is after. He's so much stronger today.

Michigan, this post was meant to inform, not to imply that this only happens in Detroit. Perhaps you've had a bad day?

Man, that sure is one adorable puppy! Glad he's doing OK.

I'm sure he'll be up chasing his tail and barking at random noises in no time!