Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default National Association of Manufacturers - Top States for Business

Yes, another list. You'll be shocked, shocked, to see that Michigan came in 41st overall.

It did rank in the top 10 [[#7) when it came to the Technology and Innovation category. Yay us.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/37554006

I have a hard time with Kentucky's worforce being at 25 and Michigan's being at 41. The only reason I see that VA so high is due to its close proximity to DC with thousands of government jobs. What shocked me was how bad Texas ranked in education since it is such a wealthy state.

Here is a direct quote from that list:
    While organized labor contends that a union workforce is a quality workforce, that argument, more often than not, doesn’t resonate with business

Alright Michigan, how do we fix this mess?
    Last edited by Patrick; July-13-10 at 06:41 PM.

Good question Patrick. I've heard and read that one of the biggest problems is that China's currency is valued too low making it cheaper to buy things manufactured there.

John Engler's NMA. If you don't blow the NMA, while you're tied, bound and blindfolded, and forking your money over for their fun, they declare you to be anti-business. I wouldn't put any credence in anything they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I have a hard time with Kentucky's worforce being at 25 and Michigan's being at 41. The only reason I see that VA so high is due to its close proximity to DC with thousands of government jobs. What shocked me was how bad Texas ranked in education since it is such a wealthy state.

Here is a direct quote from that list:

Quote:
    "While organized labor contends that a union workforce is a quality workforce, that argument, more often than not, doesn’t resonate with business."

Alright Michigan, how do we fix this mess?
    Texas has always put a low priority on education & it will be getting worse. As for being wealthy, we're projected to be somewhere well over $11 billion[[some say closer to 18) in the hole. The answer to crowded highways is to build toll roads & forego maintenance on a lot of the public thoroughfares. We're a "Right to Work" state which also means "Right to Fire" without cause; businesses love that.

As for Michigan, one approach is economic diversification. But it costs states & municipalities to have companies relocate. Unions may cause businesses to look elsewhere for cheaper or unorganized[[disorganized?) labor; they have to be willing to concede on negotiations. Just a few things I immediately thought of.

A lot of people seem to stresss the importance of diversification. However, it seems that since 2001, Michigan has been making great stridges in diversifying it's economy.

It's hard to comment on the validity of a study that doesn't publish its methodology. For example, what exactly do they mean by "Quality of Life"? How did they measure that?

And what about "Workforce"? The requirements for a workforce educated and trained to perform heavy industrial manufacturing--such as steel and automobiles--is going to differ from the requirements for a workforce engaged in light manufacturing.