Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Holy Sh!t! Bush FCC policy tossed out!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...nMo8QD9GUAODO1

I'm not a great user of the "f" word, but I think the hefty fees for "fleeting expletives" were meant to chill speech on the airwaves. Keep voting Republican and get more of the same.

Damn. I was hoping maybe the 1995 Telecommunications Act got canned....

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Keep voting Republican and get more of the same.
    Will do.....

quote: "The score for today's game is First Amendment one, censorship zero," said Andrew Jay Schwartzman, policy director of Media Access Project, which joined the case on behalf of musicians, producers, writers and directors."

Anyone else here think its kind of ironic that the right always champions the Second Amendment, but frequently ignores the First. Good to see the right wing court use some common sense here and overturn a radical right wing law.

Question from my aspie teenager: who decided which words were curse words, anyway? Aside from the single Commandment regarding taking the Lord's name in vain, I could not explain how certain words became considered 'bad.' We had a discussion regarding how words for normal bodily functions fell into the categories of vulgar, crude, and at the very least, impolite in mixed company... which he wondered about that, too.

Interesting to think about where our standards of civility came from, how they continue to evolve, and where they are going.

That is pitiful. Now everyone say profane words on national T.V. even kids. Freedom of Speech is definately in control.

That is pitiful. Now everyone say profane words on national T.V. even kids.
    Yeah, dropping the F bomb and vulgarities on national TV and radio, especially during prime time and during the day, should work wonders for our culture.
    Good move, America!
    Good to see the right wing court use some common sense here and overturn a radical right wing law.
    .....Because if you are taking your little one to Elementary School with the radio on, and some DJ spontaneously drops the F bomb, it should be considered freedom in it's classiest form.

Now we can scream "Fkn Fire!!" in a crowded theatre!!

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    Yeah, dropping the F bomb and vulgarities on national TV and radio, especially during prime time and during the day, should work wonders for our culture.
    Culture? What fucking culture?

We eat McDonald's.
    We shop at Walmart.
    We listen to music made with ProTools.
    We drive drive drive everywhere, oblivious to our surroundings.
    We live in houses made of plastic.
    We label the educated as "elitists".
    We're afraid of people who speak a language other than Redneck English.

We don't HAVE a culture worth caring about. Someone slipping up with an unintended F-bomb is the least of our concerns.

You're a big boy. I'm sure you can explain the word "fuck" to your children should the need arise. Stop expecting the government to raise your kids, and take some Personal Responsibility.
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; July-14-10 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Culture? What fucking culture?

We eat McDonald's.
    We shop at Walmart.
    We listen to music made with ProTools.
    We drive drive drive everywhere, oblivious to our surroundings.
    We live in houses made of plastic.
    We label the educated as "elitists".
    We're afraid of people who speak a language other than Redneck English.

We don't HAVE a culture worth caring about. Someone slipping up with an unintended F-bomb is the least of our concerns.
    You're right. American Culture is NO CULTURE! Most people forget about their roots and defending the family house name. I'm defending my family honor and showing others that their names first and last means something. I'm come from a family who are black, Irish, Arab Pakistani Muslim and Cherokee.

Retroit Guest

The reason we have bad words is so we can differentiate intelligent, considerate people from the low-lifes.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    The reason we have bad words is so we can differentiate intelligent, considerate people from the low-lifes.
    I always thought that was a weak argument. 'Bad' words are nothing more than words - it is the content of the enture statment that is important and differentiates the intelligent and considerate from the low-lifes

Assigning bad words is no different than the silliness of prohibition.

The appeals court was just following the 1st Amendment mandate that there be no abridgment of the freedoms of speech and press. Sometimes expletives are realistic depending on the individual, social class, or culture being portrayed. The use of expletives would be regarded as a loss of face behavior in East Asian cultures, for instance. We have off buttons if we don't want to listen to vulgarity and also the option of tossing out our TV's. I've been inmpressed with a lot of homeschooler, Amish, and Waldorf school kids whose parent, for one reason or another, limit TV use or keep TV's out of their houses as a bad influence. Advertisers might not want to be associated with unnecessary courseness. It isn't like kids don't find even more explicit things on the internet. What I'm trying to get at is that there are already all sorts of social controls so besides being unconstitutional, government censorship is unnecessary.

Can George Carlin be resurected now?

Now your newscaster can say "ITS FKN SNOWING" and it's peachy keen. There should be a line drawn between freedom of speech and vulgarity.

Granted, vulgarity has a proper time and place, but maybe that time and place should be made black and white. Drop your F bombs on the radio and TV after 1Opm or something? There is no doubt that radio and TV got out of hand at the end of Clinton's term and the beginning of Bush II's. You could hear your local shock jock having girls do anything and everything including full on sex on public radio. Stern had girls riding the sybian, Bubba the Lovesponge had women using loud buzzing toys, and TV was pushing the envelope of what they could say or do. It wasn't really until Janet's hooter came popping out that the shiz hit the fan.

Where I do love a dirty joke, and I don't mind hearing some woman hitting an "O" on the way to work on my radio, I do think that having all this easily accessible to kids is not a good thing. I am glad I don't work for the FCC, because it's a tough situation to handle and please everyone.

There's a huge difference between "fleeting expletives" and giving Andrew Dice Clay the morning drive-time slot on the top station in the market. I don't know too many people that would actively campaign for increased vulgarity, but that doesn't mean people should be punitively penalized for the occasional slip-up. Must be that the FCC under G.W. Bush was just a bunch of good, forgiving Christian folk, huh?

Words only have meaning that we attach to them.

Retroit Guest

Oh, fuck you.

Now your newscaster can say "ITS FKN SNOWING" and it's peachy keen. There should be a line drawn between freedom of speech and vulgarity.
    I must have missed the freely swearing newscasters all those years before the law was enacted in 2004. Or somebody has no fucking idea what they are talking about.

And I like bad words being bad. That way when when I say stuff like the above, it has more impact.
    Last edited by Johnlodge; July-14-10 at 05:10 PM.

Bearinabox Guest

Oh, fuck you.
    Fun, isn't it?

Oh, fuck you.
    That is not really as much of an insult as it's taken to be. A true insult would be an invective such as, "Nobody fuck you." That IMO would be an actual curse.

Just honing the fine edge because if the language formerly known as foul, or vulgar, or at least unladyllike or ungentlemanly, it should be used appropriately so as to have the proper effect.

Though Carlin thought it should be more ordinary... http://www.leoslyrics.com/listlyrics...zZVLJzBrOJw%3D

Quote Originally Posted by Corn.Bot View Post
    That is not really as much of an insult as it's taken to be. A true insult would be an invective such as, "Nobody fuck you." That IMO would be an actual curse.
    L.O.L., Good point, Corn.Bot.

Instead of telling a tea-bagger F-u, try to say a more intelligent reply.

Cons hate educated folks[[Sarah tells them to ignore educated 'elite" folks and Rush indoctrinates them to be "ditto-heads, after alll)....

With that, I say to the tea-baggers, I bite my finger to you, and your tea-bagger movement!

Michael Jackson's "Rock with u" also had a different meaning in the uncensored version. [[As in every other song which features the word "Rock")

Here in the Netherlands you can cuss all you want. No cussword has ever been bleeped, except foreign pre-bleeped content. I hate those bleeps. Sometimes you see a copshow and there's absolutely no way to follow a coherent sentense in those $Q!@$%#@@! shows!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    You're right. American Culture is NO CULTURE! Most people forget about their roots and defending the family house name. I'm defending my family honor and showing others that their names first and last means something. I'm come from a family who are black, Irish, Arab Pakistani Muslim and Cherokee.
    Well.... Johnny Cash was culture....
    Last edited by Whitehouse; July-16-10 at 10:16 AM.

Or somebody has no fucking idea what they are talking about.
    I cited 2 specifics, Howard Stern and Bubba the Lovesponge, and gave examples of what they did. They were on public radio airing audio to full on sex and masturbation, graphic details of intercourse, drug use, and much more. It's not hard for kids to turn on a radio and flip through stations until they find something dirty and sexually interesting. We were all curious horndogs back in our teens. After all, it is public airwaves. I have a fucking idea what I am talking about because I used to listen to both shows. But that was before I became a responsible parent.

Howard got pressured into Satellite radio, and Bubba got the largest fine in FCC history for a radio personality. Typically censorship is a lot more free under Democrats than Republicans. But from what I have seen over my lifetime, Democrats tend to let things go too far when it comes to vulgarity, and Republicans tend to go overboard on censorship and fines. Like I said above, I am glad I don't work for the FCC, because it's a tough situation to handle and please everyone.
    Last edited by Papasito; July-16-10 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Well.... Johnny Cash was culture....
    Whitehouse, not sure If you are being sarcastic but Johnny Cash did go out with a cultural bang. Note him making gestures similar the those that AmerIndian elders are portrayed making. He borrowed the song from Nine Inch Nails but critiques his own life. Does Holland have it's own Cash?
    Johnny Cash - 'Hurt"

I think Danny's statement is too strong but agree that the suburban stereotype is about what one has rather than who one is. Cash has a similar reflective message. I tend to blame the blandness of public schools and especially the visual media, including ads, with warping our collective value system.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    You got a lotta culture to defend. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Corn.Bot View Post

Just honing the fine edge because if the language formerly known as foul, or vulgar, or at least unladyllike or ungentlemanly, it should be used appropriately so as to have the proper effect.

Though Carlin thought it should be more ordinary... http://www.leoslyrics.com/listlyrics...zZVLJzBrOJw%3D
    The more they are used, the less power they have. Which doesn't mean that you have to sprinkle every f-ing conversation you f-ing have with f bombs.

Lenny Bruce told a story of a little black girl who was reduced to tears because some had called her a n----r. He proceeded to sprinkle the n word throughout his speech and ended with a tirade of n-----rs to show how the word could lose its power by repetition. At some point, those little homeschooled children will have to face the big bad world, so they will need to get inured to the vulgarity of others or they will be crushed by it.

And we shouldn't get too excited by this ruling which came from an f-ing lower court. There's always the f-ing SCOTUS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast