Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Sub shop in Delray

I'm blanking on the name of the notoriously tasty sub shop in Delray that everyone loves. Can anyone help me out? Couldn't find it on Google or Yelp either.

You thinking of Gonella's Foods on S. Oakwood? Not exactly Delray, but close enough ....

Quote Originally Posted by Savoyard View Post
    You thinking of Gonella's Foods on S. Oakwood? Not exactly Delray, but close enough ....
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/gonellas-foo...#query:Gonella

That's it. Thanks so much.

The original family owns the place on Outer Driver in Dearborn...for my buck far better than the old store on Oakwood.

V Gonella's Original Deli

22069 Outer Dr
    Dearborn, MI 48124
    313-563-8500

Yeah, Vinnies dad owned the ORIGINAL Gonellas. Vinnie carries out the tradition on OD. The old store is nothing like Vinnies place. Much better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    The original family owns the place on Outer Driver in Dearborn...for my buck far better than the old store on Oakwood.

V Gonella's Original Deli

22069 Outer Dr
    Dearborn, MI 48124
    313-563-8500
    Yeah, it's Gonella's. Its in the old Oakwood section of Detroit - not Delray. Oakwood was a traditional Italian neighborhood, years ago. Used to be home to Lupone's and Major's [[the Riviera family). Gonella's kids opened another store on Outer Drive in the mid 90's. It wasn't as good as the original, and it was pricier back then. I used to frequent it while working in Dearborn. In the years since, it may equal or better Gonella's on Oakwood. Haven't been to the Outer Drive store for quite a while. Pete at Gonella's on Oakwood still makes a great sub, but it seems his store isn't as clean as it used to be.

Ray Gonella past away last week. Vince's dad.

Quote Originally Posted by 48217 View Post
    Ray Gonella past away last week. Vince's dad.
    Sad to hear this news. RIP Mr. Gonella. I ate many of your subs over the years, not to mention all of the foodstuffs bought from your market and how much I loved the general atmosphere.

6 and 2 on a soft for me please, and a side of red skin potato salad.

Awesome subs! Don't forget the banana peppers.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Awesome subs! Don't forget the banana peppers.

Stromberg2
    I still buy my peppers and pepperoncini at Gonella's. Pete's [[present Gonella's owner) son bought the Italian Sub Shop on the east side of Telegraph Road just south of Ford Road in the little strip mall with the parking lot between the sidewalk and the shops. I used to go there before he bought it, about the same time as when the Gonella's were preparing to open their shop on Outer Drive, mid 90's, or so. I don't remember the name of the place but they made some pretty damn good subs and they offered a whole array of Italian foods.