Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Taco Trucks

Default Taco Trucks

I read in one of the papers a while back about the emergence of Taco Trucks in the city. I had one of the best meals of my life from a Taco truck in L.A. and would love to find a local version of that lil heaven.

Does anyone know where I can find a Taco truck? Do they run downtown or stay mainly in Mexican town?

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find a Taco truck? Do they run downtown or stay mainly in Mexican town?
    Mainly SW Detroit. Not really Mexicantown per se, but in areas where there are lots of Mexicans living.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    I read in one of the papers a while back about the emergence of Taco Trucks in the city. I had one of the best meals of my life from a Taco truck in L.A. and would love to find a local version of that lil heaven.

They stay mainly in SW. I came across one near Grand Blvd. and Vernor. You should go to the HoneyBee Market for one of their $4 lunch specials. It's terrific, and you won't need dinner.

Old CVS parking lot @ Michigan and Martin [[west of Livernois) has a great Taco truck.

Taco truck most days in parking lot just across from Holy Redeemer Church. Another in lot in front of PNC bank at West Vernor and Dragoon [[north side of Vernor). These are working men's lunch spots so not as bold and ambitious as the L.A. trucks - but everything freshly made and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Taco truck most days in parking lot just across from Holy Redeemer Church. Another in lot in front of PNC bank at West Vernor and Dragoon [[north side of Vernor). These are working men's lunch spots so not as bold and ambitious as the L.A. trucks - but everything freshly made and cheap.
    When I lived in Lansing there was an amazing taco truck off Michigan Ave, I would definitely like to try some Detroit ones.

I lived in the Bay Area and I remember the taco trucks. The tacos weren't bad.

"Roach coach" is what we call them in south Florida.

I thought the roach coach,
    was the sandwich shop on wheels,
    drive in at break time, all prepackedged foods,
    vending truck on wheels.

Theres one on weekends near Vernor/Springwells in the Secretary of State parking lot thats really good.

Slick, also known as the gaggin wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    vending truck on wheels.
    my dad drove a catering truck [[aka roach coach) for 20 + years ...he never had Taco's but he did have lots of candy and chips which made me very happy as a little girl

Thanks for all the responses!!

Everyone knows the BEST taco 'truck' in the city is the little taco stand out of the trailer in the parking lot for the supermercado on Vernor between Hubbard & Vinewood.

I heard there is one in Midtown somewhere. I don't remember where, but I doubt it is there all the time. Anyone seen one? Side note: there is a hot dog stand that sets up on 2nd Ave at Prentis but they are there mostly on Weekends, but FYI they sell vegan dogs.

Hermod....
    ....that's what the Anglos call them here in North Central Washington, too. Food quality varies, but it generally varies like a hamburger cooked a number of different places vary.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    They stay mainly in SW. I came across one near Grand Blvd. and Vernor. You should go to the HoneyBee Market for one of their $4 lunch specials. It's terrific, and you won't need dinner.
    Thanks for the heads up as I am a major 'foodie'...Ive noticed those trucks myself and wondered if I should have bought from on of the trucks as opposed to a restaurant.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    I heard there is one in Midtown somewhere. I don't remember where, but I doubt it is there all the time. Anyone seen one?
    No, but I have heard of a rumored Taco Bell somewhere on the Wayne State campus.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    vending truck on wheels.
    No with the large number of Hispanics here, they make up all kinds of low end Cuban and Mexican cuisine. Hard to buy a standard sub from them.

They are all over the place here in Northern VA...but then again, we have a huge Hispanic population. Also have a Halal truck that alwasy has a line 15 deep.

across from telways on mich ave

I mostly see them along Springwells and Lawndale between approximately Vernor and Fort Street. There have also been occasional 'Taco Cars' along Springwell. Taco Cars pull up, park and have cooking and food warming equipment [[chafers, etc) in the backseats and trunks.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    No, but I have heard of a rumored Taco Bell somewhere on the Wayne State campus.
    I don't know if you are joking or not, but it is located in the Student Center [[located on Gullen Mall/2nd Ave pedestrian mall).

Quote Originally Posted by MOTROIT View Post
    across from telways on mich ave
    I brought some of my mexican buddies from class to that truck, and we ended up eating there twice a week from then on. Awesome, authentic food.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast