Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Ford Hiring Based On Race

Hi All,

First off, I would like to introduce myself since this is my first post. I'm a small business owner living in Westland and I have a sincere passion for the City of the Detroit. I wasn't born here [[Louisiana Native) but the majority of my family is here and I also attended the University of Detroit Mercy where I recieved my Bachelors of Science in Computer and Information Systems.Now about Ford-- I will start from the beginning [[bare with me, I can be long winded).

I am very very upset with Ford. My mother is currently employed at the company, however this post is not only about her employment with them but also the fact that they are hiring based on race. Several weeks ago I purchased a car off of Craigslist. When I went to pick up the car from the seller, me, Him [[a white man in Macomb county), and my mother were having a discussion about the job market in Michigan. My mother is a member of the UAW and IBEW. She was wearing her IBEW jacket.

When the guy who sold me the car saw her jacket he begin asking her about IBEW and she told him that she is still a member but currently working for Ford. They started talking about Ford plants that were hiring in the last 60 days.
    The guy who was selling me the car told us both that the Ford plants he went too to apply for work, SPECIFICALLY told him they were only hiring "30 white guys and 15 black guys". Now the reason that this pisses me off so much is this:

1.) Why are they hiring based on race?
    2.) The majority of the men showing up for the jobs were BLACK. There were more BLACK men there than white. The guy who told us this story actually confirmed that there were twice as many black men there to apply for work.

Now remember, this is a WHITE man telling both me and my mother this story. Why would he lie about something like this? From what I gathered from our conversation, the person who told him they were specifically hiring "30 white guys, and 15 black guys" was someone who was apart of doing the hiring and this person was also familiar with the man who sold me the car otherwise why would they speak so openly and comfortably about Ford hiring practices?

My question for you all is this: Have any of you heard that this happens at certain Ford plants? Do you think this is a FAIR practice? I am in the midst of contacting the guy who sold me the car to ask him if he can tell me exactly what Ford plants were doing this so I can report them to the NAACP. The reason being is that we already have entirely too many unemployed Black people in Metro Detroit that may be unfairly denied work at Ford because they only want to hire "30 white guys and 15 black guys".

Thoughts?
    Last edited by LadyCeoDetroit; July-13-10 at 11:13 AM.

"Thoughts?"

My thought is that this guy doesn't know what he's talking about and anyone at Ford who's actually in a position to hire anyone would never say anything like that. One, it's illegal. Two, it's illegal. Three, it's illegal. No one at Ford who works in a HR position is ever going to say something like that.

I would be surprised if this was the case. You left out an important detail, who is this guy? Does he have the authority to know these things or could he just be some kuncklehead? I am not an expert when it comes to human resources, but nothing in your story leads me to believe that this white guy is either.

If he is one of authority, out of 45 new hires, if 15 are black and the region's population is about 20 percent black, how are you going to claim discrimination based upon race? If anything an attorney could argue that blacks are over represented in the hiring.

I understand that is illegal but I think its kind of ignorant to think that it can't happen [[no offense to you). He was absolutely sure of this when he told us. He also discussed his disdain with Ford over it. He actually told us he felt bad for all the Black men showing up who were not going to be hired because they only were hiring 15 of them.

The older I get the more I realize that there are many undercover racists out there. I am not saying that the big wigs at Ford at anything to do with this, but whoever is doing the hiring for those plants specifically stated they were only hiring 15 black men and 30 white.

Here I am naively thinking that ALL companies hire based on experience but I guess that is not always the case-- whether its illegal or not. Anyway, I am still going to contact the NAACP about it because it needs to be investigated.

Wait! I heard a story from my friend about his friend who wakes up in a bathtub filled with ice ...

Would you rather they hire 45 white guys? It may be illegal to hire specifically on race, but companies have been ordered by courts to diversify their workplace, resulting in de facto racial preference in hiring.

Being a 'LadyCEO', why aren't you more upset that it's guys that they are hiring and not any women are mentioned?

His name is Brian and he has worked at various Ford plants over the years. He lives in Macomb county with his wife and children. Honestly, based on what he told me, one of the people who was invovled in the hiring process told him this. He was familiar with the person which is why they were comfortable with telling him about the hiring practice at these 2 Ford plants.

I can PROMISE you that they guy who told me this story is WHITE. I have absolutely NO reason to lie about this or make this up because I don't work for Ford and never have worked for Ford.

The person spefically told Brian that they were hiring "30 white and 15 black guys". If the majority of the people showing up for these jobs are black men like Brian stated, then this could be a HUGE problem for unsuspecting black men that have no idea that these plants only plan to hire 15 of them when 100+ are showing up to apply. Twice as many as the white men who showed up. Also, I thought Detroit was 80% black?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I would be surprised if this was the case. You left out an important detail, who is this guy? Does he have the authority to know these things or could he just be some kuncklehead? I am not an expert when it comes to human resources, but nothing in your story leads me to believe that this white guy is either.

If he is one of authority, out of 45 new hires, if 15 are black and the region's population is about 20 percent black, how are you going to claim discrimination based upon race? If anything an attorney could argue that blacks are over represented in the hiring.

I guess affirmative action is a double edged sword?

If you can contribute an intelligent reply-- don't contribute at all. I understand this may be looked at as hearsay but Brian gave me NO reason to believe he was lying. Why would he tell us something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Wait! I heard a story from my friend about his friend who wakes up in a bathtub filled with ice ...

I would rather them hire everyone based solely on EXPERIENCE not color. I understand companies have to diversify. That is fine but would it make sense to hire 15 white, 15 black, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Would you rather they hire 45 white guys? It may be illegal to hire specifically on race, but companies have been ordered by courts to diversify their workplace, resulting in de facto racial preference in hiring.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyCeoDetroit View Post
    If you can contribute an intelligent reply-- don't contribute at all. I understand this may be looked at as hearsay but Brian gave me NO reason to believe he was lying. Why would he tell us something like this?
    LadyCeo: I take it from your number of posts that you are new here, so I'll let you in on a little secret: From time to time, we use HUMOR to add a bit of LEVITY to the discussion. And thank goodness too.

So cheer up, LadyCeo. You get more bees with honey than vinegar, sweetie.

Wow, I didn't realize you people could be so sarcastic. Are these the kind of replies you give when you have nothing of substance to say? This this not just about women. It's about being FAIR towards ALL people not just white males. Point. Blank. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Being a 'LadyCEO', why aren't you more upset that it's guys that they are hiring and not any women are mentioned?

Thanks for the heads up. I will keep that in mind from here on out!

LadyCeo: I take it from your number of posts that you are new here, so I'll let you in on a little secret: From time to time, we use HUMOR to add a bit of LEVITY to the discussion. And thank goodness too.

Some guy named Brian who has no reason to lie [[that you know of) may have a gripe with Ford and devised a story that would make you pretty mad and go out and tell it on the internet and cause lots of problems.

I think an earlier poster said it with the bathtub analogy: unless it happened to you, its hearsay. Unless you can confirm something from a reliable editorial source or with a reliable attribution - there is no value in the so-called episode to the readers here and they will call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyCeoDetroit View Post
    Wow, I didn't realize you people could be so sarcastic. Are these the kind of replies you give when you have nothing of substance to say? This this not just about women. It's about being FAIR towards ALL people not just white males. Point. Blank. Period.
    I'm serious. You seem to be all up in arms that they are only hiring 15 black 'guys' but not once did you ask 'Why no women?'
    Out of 45 hires, there should be a certain percentage of females, no?

"I understand that is illegal but I think its kind of ignorant to think that it can't happen [[no offense to you)."

I never said I didn't think it couldn't happen. But these days, no one at Ford who's involved in hiring is ever going to make such a statement. They know it's illegal and can lead to the company getting sued.

Which Ford plants are hiring? Which positions? I would expect that at a Ford plant, all of the hiring is covered by union rules.

Sexist!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Sexist!!!!!!!
    Haha. Sorry. I'll try to be more "work appropriate" in the future.

Can we move this thread to the non-reality section?

You mean to tell me that a major employer uses "unofficial, official" racial quotas in its hiring practices?

Welcome to the 1990s.

I understand what you are saying but like I said he didn't lead me to believe he was lying although anything is possible. I am working on confirming everything as we speak [[which plants it was, who told him, etc).

I think there is plenty of value in what I am telling you. I am telling people here in case this happens again. Even if ALL of you choose not to believe me, I still think its important that I put it out there. The more people that know this the better. People need to be aware of this.

The whole "he devised a story that would make me mad and tell people on the internet" is complete bull to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Some guy named Brian who has no reason to lie [[that you know of) may have a gripe with Ford and devised a story that would make you pretty mad and go out and tell it on the internet and cause lots of problems.

I think an earlier poster said it with the bathtub analogy: unless it happened to you, its hearsay. Unless you can confirm something from a reliable editorial source or with a reliable attribution - there is no value in the so-called episode to the readers here and they will call you on it.

Why is it so hard to believe that things like this happen. I'm pretty sure most here know all about the issues with Wells Fargo and how they sold sub-prime mortgages to African Americans. That has been proven. Why is it so far fetched to believe that companies still discriminate based on race? Racism is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Can we move this thread to the non-reality section?

"The whole "he devised a story that would make me mad and tell people on the internet" is complete bull to me. "

I don't think it's that. I think the more likely explanation is that he's repeating something told to him by someone who doesn't know what they are talking about or who told him something that has no basis in reality. Every Internet rumor starts this way. It's only useful information if it's true. Try nailing down some of the facts first.

You may call me naive, but I had no idea this was done. As a small business owner, I look for who has the most experience, race is not a factor. But you learn something new everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    You mean to tell me that a major employer uses "unofficial, official" racial quotas in its hiring practices?

Welcome to the 1990s.
    Last edited by LadyCeoDetroit; July-13-10 at 12:07 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast