Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

This is total nonsense!

Quote Originally Posted by One4Detroit View Post
    Good news, I can settle and end this horrible thread.

So I went to get an ice cream today and who would of guessed it, there was a guy next to me in line with a Ford shirt on! After reading this thread I couldnt keep my mouth shut. I had to ask him about the Ford race scandle.

The mans name was Timmy, but turns out he doesnt work for Ford. His neighbor does though [[thank god). The neighbor told Timmy that Ford is actually hiring 22 white guys, 22 black guys and one half black/half white guy.

The good thing is I didnt know Timmy at all prior to this encounter, everyone knows complete strangers ALWAYS tell you the truth. I have no idea where he really works or his neighbor, but like I said - complete stranger = truth.

Phew! I was -this- close to calling Al Sharpton.

End Thread.

So was the ice cream chocolate, vanilla or swirl?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyCeoDetroit View Post
    How is my credibility tarnished with you? Do we happen to know each other? If not, I really could careless what you think of me. I am still investigating the matter. Once that is complete, I will provide an update here. I don't care what you people say or think of me because I posted this. This needs to be known. Point. Blank. Period.
    First, you should've investigated the matter completely to determine if you are correct before posting anything.
    Second, if you don't care what others think, why post to begin with? If others think you're wrong, they will ignore your posts & take none of the action you seemingly want them to take, ie protesting, calling NAACP, etc.

I've been told a lot of questionable things by a lot of people I do or don't know in my 61 years. If I acted on every one of them without doing ANY research at all, I'd be totally paronid. In my 8 or 9 years here, this is one of the stupidest [[or naive) premices I've ever seen a thread based on.

Anyone here able to spell "urban mith?" No, make that "Yrban myth" no make that . . . ............... ? eeek

I am not embarrassed at all. If your post was an attempt to make me feel embarrassed, sorry you have failed. Thanks for the information you have given me. Regardless of what you say, I feel I had a right to be concerned-- whether you think I am right or wrong for putting this on a public forum. I felt it was something that needed to be discussed with a group of politically informed people. I knew I would get beat down here for bringing it up because I have been visiting this forum for quite a few years and some of you people try to be sarcastic or rude to anyone that you deem "steps out of their boundaries". But supposedly it's your form of humor. So just because I have not posted here does not mean I am "NEW". I am very FAMILIAR with this board and I absolutely LOVE the founders paintings! I have been reading, digesting and scanning this board since early 2007.

As for my conversation with the person who told me about this, the only reason why I really didn't think he was lying is because he said he's been working at Ford for a few years. My mother was there with me and she also works at Ford. We all talked about this together. I also stated this in my earlier posts. Maybe if you actually read them instead of firing off to attack me you would have known that. So here are two people working at Ford and one of them [[Brian - the man who sold me the car for the people who don't read thoroughly) told me about Ford hiring "30 White Guys & 15 Black Guys" at these 2 particular plants. Why would I have any reason to think he didn't know what he was talking about? He told me and my mother basically confirmed it. I suppose I should have made them both elaborate but it immediately made me a little upset. If you don't understand that then so be it.

As far as me referring to the story about the white man who sued Ford, the ONLY thing I was referring to there is that discrimination still exists against EVERYONE [[even white males). Even at a company like Ford. I referenced this story specifically because it was discrimination against a white male. I am NOT an idiot. I am VERY aware that racism goes both ways. First of all, understand this, I am probably younger than most of you. I grew up in the late 80's-90's. I have always known racism has gone both ways, since I was old enough to know. I am originally from Louisiana and the level of racism down there can be atrocious on both sides. My thing is simply this-- I DON'T LIKE IT EITHER WAY. I could only imagine how pissed the man was that he lost his case against Ford and even more so because he felt he was discriminated against. Like I said before, when Brian told me they were hiring "30 White Guys and 15 Black Guys", it just startled me because I was always taught hiring based on race just isn't supposed happen and there is ZERO tolerance for it. The fact that he said it was mostly black men showing up to work at these plants and none of them were going to be hired just made me feel bad for them because I like to see people be able to succeed [[black or white).

FredGarvin & gazhekwe explained the whole race and hiring thing to me well enough. I thoroughly understand how it works now. But I still can't deny that Brian's comments about them hiring "30 White and 15 Black" had me concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by PlymouthRes View Post
    Having worked at Ford for a total of over 20 years, I find it kind of funny that this thread has gone as far as it has without someone stepping up and mentioning some of the most obvious facts. The very first fact I would like to mention is that it is VERY apparent that NONE of you have ever experienced their hiring practises OR their hiring quota application. They are very meticulous to follow, jot and tittle, the letter of the law in regard to hiring quotas [[AA, EOE, NLRB, etc.). Not to mention, any hiring done involving union members goes through yet another level of scrutiny with them, and often, the result of which made me shake my head sometimes.

Is Ford perfect? No. There are many others that just plain suck, too, but Ford does a pretty good job of staying as close to center as I have ever seen.

As for your conversation with this person you had only just met and were buying a car from, who claimed to be "in the know" by a "friend of a friend", I can't believe that you would have somehow thought that the situation he was explaining to you had any shred of reality associated with it at all, and you didn't run from him when he started his line of lies. You really can't expect people out there that do have a clue to believe this, do you? If so, you are beyond niave and need some "soak time", which hopefully will allow your logic to kick in and sort these kind of things out for yourself before you post FOR THE FIRST TIME on a new internet forum asking people for thier "thoughts" on the matter.

Here is my thinking, and it comes from a pretty solid 15 year personal relationship with two ladies I had the pleasure to serve on the Diversity Committee and the Personnel Relations committees with while I was direct at Ford. Both ladies, by the way, are fine upstanding BLACK women. I only emphasize the point of their race because it serves a point here. The fact is, and which it appears you are unaware of, is that fully 75-80% of the HR department at PDC/Glasshouse/NMPDC/Wayne Assembly/Wixom was of African-American, Asian or some other minority make-up.

In all of my years of working with, going out after work with and to attending each others personal parties, we never once EVER spoke about the internal hiring practioses of the company, not even in a joking way. It is something that was never even broached as it would or could have brought havoc on those who participated in that type of a conversation, and that was in a time when the rules were much less adhered to than they are today. I'm sure both Jackie B. and Pat A. [[real people, HR reps, late 1980's-90's) would agree with me on that.

Something else that I would like to mention is how I find the rules get bent when these discussions get started and all sorts of stuff gets thrown on the table. For instance, you referred to a white guy who sued Ford due to discrimination. Do you know the story fully enough to actually use it as a reference here or did you just hear that from a guy you were buying a car from, too? Since I was there in the thick of things, let me set the record straight so you don't embarass yourself on an internet forum again by quoting events that are not related in either circumstance or any reference you have provided [[if and when you are able to provide the references as you promised).

The guy [[T.S.) was at a meeting we were all attending with then head of the company Jack Nasser. Nasser began his speech by walking directly to the podium and starting right into a 40 minute tiraid about how "undiverse" Ford management was and how, when he looked about the room all he saw was "a sea of older white faces". After that statement, he also added that the "older white male" manager type positions were going to start to be eliminated and he was going to be responsible for changing the face of Ford once and for all. This percipitated the OWM's making a button up for their minority, which they proudly wore on the lapels of their jackets for all the world to see.

In the end, Nasser systematically began to target the more long term, older employees, a predominince of whom were white and over fifty, as he got rid of every single one of us eventually.

The guy lost his case, by the way, so he never enjoyed any benefit from it at all. A famous attorney from the Flint area handled his case, but as far as I can recall he never prevailed.

You are right about one thing though, racism still does exist. It just goes both ways now.

Also, in a rush to backfill the lack of racial fairness, Ford went on a binge in the early 90's, hiring minotirties at about a 1 in 4 ratio. It was a strange transition period, that is for sure.

Lastly, the NAACP is not the place to report to if you feel that a company is committing violations in ethical hiring practises. That would be the NLRB if you want the biggest bang for your buck.

I said the NAACP because I figured they could direct me to the proper people to talk too that would give me more information on things like this. Basically, they are the first group that came to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by LDoolan View Post
    The entire topic is based strictly on heresay and for all we know he may have just been blowing smoke to get people worked up. That does happen from time to time. Far as I know there's no 'racial quotas' when it comes to hiring at Ford.

Why would you go to the NAACP instead of the Labor board? [[If there's really an issue, for all we know she/they could be a GM troll.)

No one is planning to call Al Sharpton. Please spare me the dry humor. Both the people I was talking to work at Ford. Including my mother. She has been there for at least 5 years, she is pretty familiar with Ford and didn't disagree with anything that Brian was saying. Nor did she think he was lying.

So gee, here's two people that work at Ford, one who I know and trust, and another one who is a stranger. But again, they BOTH work at Ford. Why would have a reason not to believe this? My mother is a smart, intelligent and honest woman and she would have told me if the guy didn't know what he was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by One4Detroit View Post
    Good news, I can settle and end this horrible thread.

So I went to get an ice cream today and who would of guessed it, there was a guy next to me in line with a Ford shirt on! After reading this thread I couldnt keep my mouth shut. I had to ask him about the Ford race scandle.

The mans name was Timmy, but turns out he doesnt work for Ford. His neighbor does though [[thank god). The neighbor told Timmy that Ford is actually hiring 22 white guys, 22 black guys and one half black/half white guy.

The good thing is I didnt know Timmy at all prior to this encounter, everyone knows complete strangers ALWAYS tell you the truth. I have no idea where he really works or his neighbor, but like I said - complete stranger = truth.

Phew! I was -this- close to calling Al Sharpton.

End Thread.

I stated that I could careless about his personal opinion of ME not the topic at hand. I wanted thoughts on the topic, not me. He doesn't know me, you don't know me and I don't want to know you so your opinions of what you think I am are kind of irrelevant. Just stick to the core topic - [[race playing a factor in the hiring process at Ford). Apparently there are very few people here that now how to simply respond to the core topic without trying to attack the person that brought it up.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    First, you should've investigated the matter completely to determine if you are correct before posting anything.
    Second, if you don't care what others think, why post to begin with? If others think you're wrong, they will ignore your posts & take none of the action you seemingly want them to take, ie protesting, calling NAACP, etc.

You are stupid if you really think that racism or discrimination doesn't or can't happen at Ford or any other company for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    I've been told a lot of questionable things by a lot of people I do or don't know in my 61 years. If I acted on every one of them without doing ANY research at all, I'd be totally paronid. In my 8 or 9 years here, this is one of the stupidest [[or naive) premices I've ever seen a thread based on.

Please, no name calling, LadyCeoDetroit.

douglams's problem with this thread is that hearsay by a stranger was taken as fact.

douglasm is not saying or implying that racism or discrimination does not happen.

You are stupid if you really think that racism or discrimination doesn't or can't happen at Ford or any other company for that matter.
    The chances of racism in hiring practices are much less likely at Ford versus, say a small, independent manufacturing plant.

F.Y.I: I think you should believe less of what you hear from a third party whom you just met and avoid starting rumors on Internet forums. That could lead to charges of libel being levied upon you.

No one is planning to call Al Sharpton. Please spare me the dry humor. Both the people I was talking to work at Ford. Including my mother. She has been there for at least 5 years, she is pretty familiar with Ford and didn't disagree with anything that Brian was saying. Nor did she think he was lying.

So gee, here's two people that work at Ford, one who I know and trust, and another one who is a stranger. But again, they BOTH work at Ford. Why would have a reason not to believe this? My mother is a smart, intelligent and honest woman and she would have told me if the guy didn't know what he was talking about.
    The bigger mystery to many on this forum is why the words "HIRED" and "CALLED BACK TO WORK" weren't differentiated in your discussions with either your mother or that other man.

HIRED to a Ford Plant implies a process that the company does with a new worker....

CALLED BACK TO WORK to a Ford Plant involves union contract issues that have nothing to do with race, but with SENIORITY.

With the large reservoir ofl laid off plant workers that Ford has [[who get first dibs on all plant jobs)... Ford won't be doing any HIRING for quite some time, which makes it rather surprising that this entire thread came up at all??

The guy who was selling me the car told us both that the Ford plants he went too to apply for work, SPECIFICALLY told him they were only hiring "30 white guys and 15 black guys".
    As for my conversation with the person who told me about this, the only reason why I really didn't think he was lying is because he said he's been working at Ford for a few years.
    Can't keep your own story straight. Was he applying for work at Ford or did he work at Ford "for a few years"?

Don't answer that. It's obvious what's going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Thames View Post
    Can't keep your own story straight. Was he applying for work at Ford or did he work at Ford "for a few years"?

I saw that too, Thames, and was about to mention it when I read your post.

This is more than a little embarrassing. I've been following and participating in a bogus thread?

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Thanks for sharing this, DetroitDad. Above and beyond affirmative action, I have encouraged my younger siblings and relatives to start their own businesses as soon as possible. That goes for my students and mentees of all races as well! We are arguing about race-race-race when the world as we know it is CHANGING. We are at the very end of the Industrial Age and modernity, and what comes next is anyone's guess. The future for all of us is to rebuild this nation and this economy anew. We just don't have a choice.
    Amen to change, no matter how uncomfortable it may seem at the time.

Thank you, Crystal.

At this point, I bail on this thread. For LadyCEODetroit to throw insults like that discredits her in my eyes.

Yes, it is hearsay, and I don't trust uncolaborated hearsay.

Thanks for correcting me there. I should have included that from the beginning, no problem admitting that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thames View Post

Lol @ embarrassing. Maybe more for you then me.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    This is more than a little embarrassing. I've been following and participating in a bogus thread?

Everyone with the exception of 2 people has insulted me. So what are you talking about? I really could care if you discredit me. This is the internet. You act like we know each other personally. You are a faceless font.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Thank you, Crystal.

At this point, I bail on this thread. For LadyCEODetroit to throw insults like that discredits her in my eyes.

Yes, it is hearsay, and I don't trust uncolaborated hearsay.

Oh please. What are you going to do, have someone trace my I.P address and try to track me down? This is a public forum. I voiced my opinion about something I heard and asked for opinions of others. Browse the internet, there is boats load of different things on line where people discuss stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    The chances of racism in hiring practices are much less likely at Ford versus, say a small, independent manufacturing plant.

F.Y.I: I think you should believe less of what you hear from a third party whom you just met and avoid starting rumors on Internet forums. That could lead to charges of libel being levied upon you.

Oh please. What are you going to do, have someone trace my I.P address and try to track me down? This is a public forum. I voiced my opinion about something I heard and asked for opinions of others. Browse the internet, there is boats load of different things on line where people discuss stuff like this.
    The fact that you bring up tracking down I.P. addresses leads one to conclude you are a troll, trying, in vain to spread false info about a company of which you have shown a clear and objective biased to.

LadyCeo, you might want to stop now, as you are treading dangerously closely to slander and libel.

One, it's illegal. Two, it's illegal. Three, it's illegal.
    it's not illegal. it's called quotas.
    until people are treated as people and not as colors, race will always be an issue in our country.

oh and one more thing.... don't believe a car salesman.
    the numbers he gave you may not be true, but there is definitely hiring based upon skin color. especially with unions involved.
    Last edited by Papasito; July-15-10 at 07:52 AM.

"1.) Why are they hiring based on race?"

I can't speak for the plants so much as I am in Engineering not production but when I worked at the OEMs most of the new hires I saw were neither black or white but in fact were folks from Asia that spoke broken english.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast