Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Vagrants And Panhandlers.

Ive noticed a small invasion of pesky panhandlers around the 9 and Woodward area within the last couple of years. I had an annoying encounter last summer as I chained my bike in front of the Record Collector, when a scrawney little drunkard, sittin next to Eddie the loudmouth window washer, got up, ran right up on me, pressing me for a handout. I ignored the vagrant while politely listening to Eddies jive babble,the vagrant taking the hint and sat back down on the sidewalk.I should have whipped out my phone and called the police, as should all the naive bleeding hearts who hand out food and money to these pests that are infesting 9 mile.

One old bum used to stumble into Java Hutt with his Im mentally impaired routine[[its a hustle, trust me,Ive seen his 'true colors')and I know of several instances in which young counter clerks have had their tip jar stolen, or foolishly handed over the proceeds of the nights earnings. Then there was the young buck that was in WAY to good of shape to be panhandling, I warned the managers of a community center to watch him as a I had a bad vibe about, and wouldnt put it past him to strong arm one of the sissies that frequented the center.

There are organizations that can provide food and shelter to the homeless and destitute,so NEVER hand out money to support a druggies drug habit. Ferndale, with its multiculturalists and cumbayah bleeding hearts, is a prime location for drug addicts and chronics who are looking for a quick fix. Ive been down and out because of lifestyle choices, pulled myself back up, and volunteered at a rotating homeless shelter, so I know the ins and outs, the games and the lies. Residents and community groups need to stay vigilant, pass out flyers,and demand agrressive police action and response.Panhandlers often cross the line and commit acts of petty thievery and foray into armed robber and home invasion. If someone asks for money for food, and you have a guilty conscience, buy the person a meal. Dont give them money so as to exacerbate the bum problem!

Similar problem at Main and 4th St. in Royal Oak...the condo owners are up in arms over panhandling and overall noise including rooftop patios at restaurants...this extends to the Main and 11 Mile corner but with Royal Oak facing police cutbacks and the Council approving more liquor licenses and permits for street side seating and patios, it will only get worse.

Hey, if Royal Oak and Ferndale [[or Birmingham, Troy, Southfield) want to play big city plus pretend to be the center of Metro Detro...I mean SE Michigan, they have to deal with both the positive and negative aspects that come along with it.
    Last edited by 313WX; July-13-10 at 08:52 AM.

Make Busking legal.

At least, we might get some entertainment value from it.

http://www.buskercentral.com/
    Last edited by jams; July-13-10 at 09:31 AM. Reason: because not everyone knows the term

bartock Guest

I was hoping LodgeDodger would have posted the "Sir, please sir" guy into a third thread. I was laughing out loud when he showed up on the critter thread. I'd swap him for every person panhandling at 4th/Main in Royal Oak.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    I was hoping LodgeDodger would have posted the "Sir, please sir" guy into a third thread. I was laughing out loud when he showed up on the critter thread. I'd swap him for every person panhandling at 4th/Main in Royal Oak.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Oh GOD not him! Maybe he should find his way toFerndale and leave me alone. Strange I've never seen him there, I've only seen him between the Penobscot and City Hall. And a couple of times at Fort and Washington.

LodgeDodger Guest

If you're ever at the Eastern Market on Saturdays, he's there.

What? Just keep a coney dog handy, he'll go away.

DetroitDad Guest

They are bad in construction traffic now, one every few feet, it's like they compete, dance, and the younger ones use home made dry erase boards too [[cardboard wrapped in plastic wrap).

Nothing beats when they walk up on your car at the Burger King Drive Threw near the post office. Man I hate getting stuck in that drive threw line, it's one of those ones where you can't just drive off if your uncomfortable, or frustrated.

That reminds me; The Tim Horton's on Plymouth and Farmington Road keeps going after panhandlers because they use the bathroom and snatch the sink and toilet fixtures. The panhandlers walk all the way from the new Super Walmart.

That Walmart reminds me of the Meijer that tries to look like a fake Downtown, down the street, and all over Metro Detroit now.

Which reminds me, I got panhandled by a kid Downtown while walking with my daughter. He couldn't have been more than eight, but was probably younger, I'm bad at guessing ages. If I was a busker, I could never be an age guesser, I would always be wrong and thus broke. Anyway, I'm really not sure what to do in that situation. Even Downtown, I have never seen young children panhandling before this Summer.

Ferndale in no way pretends to be the center of Metro Detroit. In fact I would argue that Ferndale residents are some of Detroit's most vocal and positive suburban supporters.

If you're ever at the Eastern Market on Saturdays, he's there.
    Man..He sometimes gets pretty aggressive..5 years of this guy

Can somebody tell me who came up with the name "Metro Detroit"? The way I see it, you either live in the City of Detroit or you don't. There ain't no metro about it

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    They are bad in construction traffic now, one every few feet, it's like they compete, dance, and the younger ones use home made dry erase boards too [[cardboard wrapped in plastic wrap).

Nothing beats when they walk up on your car at the Burger King Drive Threw near the post office. Man I hate getting stuck in that drive threw line, it's one of those ones where you can't just drive off if your uncomfortable, or frustrated.

That reminds me; The Tim Horton's on Plymouth and Farmington Road keeps going after panhandlers because they use the bathroom and snatch the sink and toilet fixtures. The panhandlers walk all the way from the new Super Walmart.

That Walmart reminds me of the Meijer that tries to look like a fake Downtown, down the street, and all over Metro Detroit now.

Which reminds me, I got panhandled by a kid Downtown while walking with my daughter. He couldn't have been more than eight, but was probably younger, I'm bad at guessing ages. If I was a busker, I could never be an age guesser, I would always be wrong and thus broke. Anyway, I'm really not sure what to do in that situation. Even Downtown, I have never seen young children panhandling before this Summer.
    Just snarl at 'em the way I do. Generally, it works. Unless you're dealing with Sir, Sir.

DetroitDad Guest

Just snarl at 'em the way I do. Generally, it works. Unless you're dealing with Sir, Sir.
    I need to look up your story with that one, LodgeDodger...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Martin View Post
    Can somebody tell me who came up with the name "Metro Detroit"? The way I see it, you either live in the City of Detroit or you don't. There ain't no metro about it
    Can someone also tell me why Metro Detroit is the only major region in the country where its people refuse to associate itself with "Detroit" [[the actual center city) and instead use "SE Michigan"? Even after years of Ford using "Metro Detroit", they've finally gave into the SE Michigan schtick..

People call Chicago "Chicagoland", People call Dallas-Forth Worth "Dallas-Forth Worth", People call San Francisco
    "San Francisco Bay Area", etc...

DetroitDad Guest

Default De Troite

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Can someone also tell me why Metro Detroitis the only majirregion in the country where its people refuse to associate itself with "Detroit" [[the actual center city) and instead uses "SE Michigan"?

People call Chicago "Chicagoland", People call Dallas-Forth Worth "Dallas-Forth Worth", People call San Francisco
    For the same reason the suburb named East Detroit renamed itself East Pointe to reflect itself in the League of Pointes?

There are a number of people who think that changing the name of the city and region will change the national perception.

Have fun with them.

The suburbs gleefully accepted capital outflight from Detroit, rejoiced that they didn't have to pay for now-closed state mental institutions, and house hospitals that studiously avoid charity cases. As a result, those of us who live in the city have been on the receiving end of vagrants, crazies, panhandlers, harassment, petty theft, and struggling medical care facilities.

Now that these beggars have tapped us out and scared all the businesses out to Vanilla Village, they're moving on to greener pastures. Frankly, given the way Detroit has been used as a dumping ground [[both literally and figuratively), maybe we should help them by trucking them to the corner of Maple and Old Woodward?

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    Ive noticed a small invasion of pesky panhandlers around the 9 and Woodward area within the last couple of years. I had an annoying encounter last summer as I chained my bike in front of the Record Collector, when a scrawney little drunkard, sittin next to Eddie the loudmouth window washer, got up, ran right up on me, pressing me for a handout. I ignored the vagrant while politely listening to Eddies jive babble,the vagrant taking the hint and sat back down on the sidewalk.I should have whipped out my phone and called the police, as should all the naive bleeding hearts who hand out food and money to these pests that are infesting 9 mile.

One old bum used to stumble into Java Hutt with his Im mentally impaired routine[[its a hustle, trust me,Ive seen his 'true colors')and I know of several instances in which young counter clerks have had their tip jar stolen, or foolishly handed over the proceeds of the nights earnings. Then there was the young buck that was in WAY to good of shape to be panhandling, I warned the managers of a community center to watch him as a I had a bad vibe about, and wouldnt put it past him to strong arm one of the sissies that frequented the center.

There are organizations that can provide food and shelter to the homeless and destitute,so NEVER hand out money to support a druggies drug habit. Ferndale, with its multiculturalists and cumbayah bleeding hearts, is a prime location for drug addicts and chronics who are looking for a quick fix. Ive been down and out because of lifestyle choices, pulled myself back up, and volunteered at a rotating homeless shelter, so I know the ins and outs, the games and the lies. Residents and community groups need to stay vigilant, pass out flyers,and demand agrressive police action and response.Panhandlers often cross the line and commit acts of petty thievery and foray into armed robber and home invasion. If someone asks for money for food, and you have a guilty conscience, buy the person a meal. Dont give them money so as to exacerbate the bum problem!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Oh GOD not him! Maybe he should find his way toFerndale and leave me alone. Strange I've never seen him there, I've only seen him between the Penobscot and City Hall. And a couple of times at Fort and Washington.
    Literally the hardest working man in the business.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post

What the hell are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
    Man..He sometimes gets pretty aggressive..5 years of this guy
    Last time I saw him he made a point of saying -- shouting really, he's so insistent -- after I shook my head no and kept walking, that he's NOT a drinker, he's not using the money for that.

I stopped going to Greek town because of the panhandlers, they are in your face!

Quote Originally Posted by Huggybear View Post
    Frankly, given the way Detroit has been used as a dumping ground [[both literally and figuratively), maybe we should help them by trucking them to the corner of Maple and Old Woodward?
    To hear some of them, that is near where they want to be IN THE FIRST PLACE!

All they need is ONE more quarter...and they can afford the bus to Pontiac.

If they said Birmingham, I'd give every ONE of 'em fifty cents.

LOL

How we can stop more beggars:

1. Give them medical and mental treatment AND PAY THEIR BILLS.

2. Give them Religion. invite them to Church, Mosque or Synagogue. DO NOT SHUT THEM OUT!

3. Give them jobs, NOT A WELFARE CHECK!

4. Give them clothes, NOT YOUR OLD RAGS.

5. Teach them education, NOT SEGREGATION.

Do these things and the beggars will be begging NO MORE in your city.

In they refuse these things, they have already chosen to live Satan's life instead of God's life.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Becuase community action takes power not complaining about these problems to someone esle.

Neda, I miss you so.
    Last edited by Danny; July-14-10 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Can someone also tell me why Metro Detroit is the only major region in the country where its people refuse to associate itself with "Detroit" [[the actual center city) and instead use "SE Michigan"? Even after years of Ford using "Metro Detroit", they've finally gave into the SE Michigan schtick..

Actually Dallas residents refer to it and the surrounding as the quaint and cultured term: The Metroplex

/Spent a month and half there this year *shudder*

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast