Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Great article on Crooks and Liars about Detroit!

Progressives have rightfully mourned the recent fate of New Orleans--a poor, predominately black city with a spectacular history that has been failed by our country over and over again.
    I just returned from work and play a city we hear less about, but it shares a lot in common with New Orleans--Detroit. AKA Motown, The 313, Rock City, The D. Detroit City, as the song goes, ain't nothin' to f with.
    Most people react to Detroit the same way when they see it for the first time--something along the lines of "holy sh*t." It's frequently compared to a Third World country, with enormous vacant auto plants and many, many desperate people. It's a very dramatic landscape.
    The Big 3 took what they needed from Detroit, and what they left behind is...how you say...challenging. There is tremendous poverty, hopelessness, crime, and violence.
    But there is so much to love in Detroit. No, really
    Rest is here.

And great to see "Requiem for Detroit" is now on Youtube!

The whole 76 minutes!!

For those who haven't seen it yet, this is a must see movie!

First discussed here.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; July-12-10 at 04:14 PM.

lilpup Guest

US foreign trade policy [[or lack thereof) is far more responsible for what happened in Detroit than the Big 3 specifically are. The uninformed and narrow visioned keep piling on the automakers and that's bullshit.

The Big 3 "took" what they needed? How about invested and brought prosperity? That is, until more competition came into play and they [[and their workers) thougth tthe good times would last forever.

It is this type of mentality that feeds the psyche of Detroit [[and Detroiters) that the city and people are victims. How about pulling oneself up by your own bootstraps and get to work to solve issues that plague the city? Anytime anyone has suggestions or offers help, Detroit and its residents always come back with the attitude that people are trying to take the city over.

I can tell you its no different in my city as well. I wonder why the mentality of the line worker is so corrupted?

Did former Detroit Mayor Louis Mariani make the cut for DET crooks? Is there a bio synopsis available on him? How long did he do in jail and for what? I can't remember. I was just a chil' when he done wrong.

There's a detailed obituary from the Free Press for Miriani in this recent thread:
    Where is former DET mayor Louis Miriani buried?...

There was another guy from Europe that did a mini-doc on detroit a couple years ago that was fantastic. I can't remember his or the movies name to search for it. He was hoping to use it to fund a longer piece. Does anyone remember what it might have been called?

Quote Originally Posted by gencinjay View Post
    There was another guy from Europe that did a mini-doc on detroit a couple years ago that was fantastic. I can't remember his or the movies name to search for it. He was hoping to use it to fund a longer piece. Does anyone remember what it might have been called?
    Tillon's Detroit Wildlife?

There are links to the film and his web site in the article.

That's it! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by gencinjay View Post
    That's it! Thank you!
    You're most welcome. Thanks for mentioning it. I had accidentally left the link behind on another machine and now I have it back.

That is one haunting film. Fantastic sound track too.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    US foreign trade policy [[or lack thereof) is far more responsible for what happened in Detroit than the Big 3 specifically are. The uninformed and narrow visioned keep piling on the automakers and that's bullshit.
    I agree. This "most favored nation" status in trade is what kills me. Most favored than what, your own citizens? Without business, you have a welfare state. We're all "workers", and we all need business in which to work. Preferably, American business.

Wow.This is our history.Shameful,yet I didn't feel sad watching it.Next time,let's do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Tillon's Detroit Wildlife?

There are links to the film and his web site in the article.
    Thanks... haunting video.
    I want to canoe up the Rouge..all the way to Ford's house.
    Or, possibly, launch from there and go down. My sons and I paddled 60-something miles in Arkansas, so I can handle this.

Quote Originally Posted by mpf View Post
    Thanks... haunting video.
    I want to canoe up the Rouge..all the way to Ford's house.
    Or, possibly, launch from there and go down. My sons and I paddled 60-something miles in Arkansas, so I can handle this.
    You might be interested in this book I read recently.

http://uptherouge.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    You might be interested in this book I read recently.

http://uptherouge.com/
    Thanks...that author is not the frenchman from the video.
    Looked at your link, it would cost me over $40 to get it here
    [[chicago), but amazon's 'links' it goes for about 26, So I'll read it, also...

Thanks...that author is not the frenchman from the video.
    No, the book was by 2 Detroit Free Press reporters.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    No, the book was by 2 Detroit Free Press reporters.
    OK.. [[the French guy hired somebody with a motorboat)
    Is it like a 'Human Interest' story, or a documentary about the river? [[your book)

Quote Originally Posted by mpf View Post
    OK.. [[the French guy hired somebody with a motorboat)
    Is it like a 'Human Interest' story, or a documentary about the river? [[your book)
    In the book they actually canoed the river and took pictures. Ran into a lot of blockages of fallen trees, so it's not an easy trip.