Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Charles Pugh, from His Throne, Bestows Mercy on Ken Cockrel

What to make of this comment from Charles Pugh to Rochelle Riley on his presidency of the Council and his estimation of his fellow Council members:

"Ken Cockrel. Just like there was pressure to shut down JoAnn [[Watson) there was pressure for me to punish Ken. The president gives all committee assignments. That's my job. There was pressure on me to not give him any committees. Not only did I not do that, but I gave him the chairmanship of probably our most important committee, which is budget finance and audit ... This is government. Detroiters do not want us just to work together. They want us to get along ..."

Who would want to "punish" Ken Cockrel and why? Doesn't this seem like some backslap from Pugh to Cockrel - a way for pugh to humiliate Cockrel? I think Detroit will rue the day that Pugh [[with his HS degree and nothing else) was elected Council president...

http://www.freep.com/article/2010070...or-run-schools

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post

Who would want to "punish" Ken Cockrel and why?
    Probably other council members? The dirty ones I presume.

I think its just him being honest and you reading too much into it. That council has all kinds of interpersonal squabbles and Pugh being a new member doesn't warrant you jumping to all kinds of conclusions about his motives. Sheesh people, give the guy at least a year before you start with the cynicism,

Maybe MonCon and/or Kwame supporters would want to punish Cockrel?

This is a much more stable council then the one before, most of the goofballs are gone now. With all the corruption allegations this council will be on their best behavior [[I hope). Saying that, I do think that Pugh is a buffoon, and it will be a futile yet interesting presidency for him.

What to make of this comment from Charles Pugh to Rochelle Riley on his presidency of the Council and his estimation of his fellow Council members:

"Ken Cockrel. Just like there was pressure to shut down JoAnn [[Watson) there was pressure for me to punish Ken. The president gives all committee assignments. That's my job. There was pressure on me to not give him any committees. Not only did I not do that, but I gave him the chairmanship of probably our most important committee, which is budget finance and audit ... This is government. Detroiters do not want us just to work together. They want us to get along ..."

Who would want to "punish" Ken Cockrel and why? Doesn't this seem like some backslap from Pugh to Cockrel - a way for pugh to humiliate Cockrel? I think Detroit will rue the day that Pugh [[with his HS degree and nothing else) was elected Council president...

http://www.freep.com/article/2010070...or-run-schools
    Ummmmm... since you asked the question, I'll give some answers... Who would want to punish Ken Cockrel.... geeze get in line...

1) The "Shrek" faction... those supporting Monica Conyers during her brief and disastrous tenure as Council Prez while Cockrel was acting Mayor. The Cobo fiasco is just one of the problems that nitwit [[Conyers) stirred up the pot with. I'm sure that a lot of her supporters in city hall don't like Cockrel, especially after he booted her back to her former position [[when she claimed that she didn't have to give up the Prez position [[or some such nonsense). Her backers were likely none too pleased with Cockrel back in power.

2) George Jackson and the folks at the DEGC and other city development agencies... Jackson said that the Lafayette Building was definitely coming down... and then when Cockrel took over as acting mayor, he said "lets hold off on demoing the Lafayette and look at our options" rather than be hasty about it. George Jackson and Co. felt publicly humiliated by this Cockrel manuveur.

3) The Kwame Kilpatrick Administration.... some folks were removed, others were retained, but I'm sure there since there are plenty of holdovers that would like to see retribution to Cockrel since he wanted Kilpatrick out of office.

So now do Pugh's comments make sense?
    Last edited by Gistok; July-13-10 at 12:16 AM.

I think also, during the city council campaign, Cockrel did join in publicly criticizing Pugh's situation when it came out about his financial troubles.. not that it was totally unwarranted.. But I suppose Pugh supporters who thought it was a negative swipe might want to see Cockrel marginalized on council.. at least Pugh showed he was bigger than that..

that said, I still am waiting impatiently for council by District to be implemented. I don't care who on council currently is skeptical..

I forgot about that one Hypestyles.... Cockrel did his political best to keep Pugh from being the top vote getter. But Pugh, to his credit, didn't hold a grudge.

Also, I have to side with Pugh on the strip club issue. They seem to be so well guarded, that nearby residents feel safer [[what with the DPD being stretched thin), and some nearyby residents would rather have a well lit and well guarded establishment, rather than the unlit usual abandon often found in many retail areas of the city.

I think Detroit will rue the day that Pugh [[with his HS degree and nothing else) was elected Council president..
    University of Missouri
    Journalism degree

DetroitPole Guest

I was at first quite disappointed in Pugh becoming Council President. He obviously isn't a Rhodes scholar or an an experienced administrator, but look at our state and national legislatures. Most of them are no better - and are in loftier positions.

We have done a lot worse. He is genuine and prides himself on keeping Council running smoothly. I don't think I'm setting my expectations too low for feeling that is an achievement.

I'm not sure what the big deal is about this quote. It's just Pugh doing his job, and, in this case, doing it right. Of course Cockrel has enemies - he was council president and then acting mayor during one of this city's most divisive and tumultuous periods, so I'm not sure why anyone would expect that he wouldn't have enemies. But, as Pugh says, he didn't let those folks stop him from doing what was right.

I would have much preferred having Cockrel back as council president, and didn't vote for Pugh for just that strategic reason. But right now I'd much rather have Pugh than our disappointingly absent and detached mayor.