Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Help Identify this Flower

Greetings-

Does anyone know what the attached flower/plant is. I spotted it in a "MI Native Plant" garden but unfortunately it wasn't market.

It stands about 3 feet tall.

Thanks!
    Eastside

Looks like bergamot, a member of the mint family. It should have a square stem and opposite leaves that give off a sweet smell when crushed.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Looks like bergamot, a member of the mint family. It should have a square stem and opposite leaves that give off a sweet smell when crushed.
    That's it! Thanks gazhekwe.

Is that the same as Bee Balm? Looks exactly what I have growing in my yard, but I was told it was Bee Balm...didn't know if Bergamot was the "formal" name....thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by agirlintheD View Post
    Is that the same as Bee Balm? Looks exactly what I have growing in my yard, but I was told it was Bee Balm...didn't know if Bergamot was the "formal" name....thanks!
    Yes, they are the same
    Monarda [[bee balm, horsemint, oswego tea, or bergamot) is a genus consisting of roughly 16 species of erect, herbaceous, annual or perennial plants in the family Lamiaceae.

Quote Originally Posted by agirlintheD View Post
    Ah, nice to know. I have some in my yard too, I love the smell!

Was sharing this new knowledge with a friend and she told me Bee Balm has all kinds of medicinal remedies...I looked it up and as a current bronchitis sufferer, I found the following information....
    Bee Balm leaves and flowers and stems are used in alternative medicine as an antiseptic, carminative, diaphoretic, diuretic and stimulant. An infusion is medicinal used internally in the treatment of colds, catarrh, headaches, and gastric disorders, to reduce low fevers and soothe sore throat, to relieve flatulence, nausea, menstrual pain, and insomnia. Steam inhalation of the plant can be used for sore throats, and bronchial catarrh [[inflammation of the mucus membrane, causing an increased flow of mucus). Externally, it is a medicinal application for skin eruptions and infections. Bergamot's distinctive aroma, found in both the leaf and flower is wonderful for use in potpourri. [[altnature.com).
    I just may have to try some of this tea tomorrow...one never knows what treasures are lurking in our own back yards!!!

Good for Hummingbirds too.

I love it when websites contradict each other:

Bee Balm is easily grown in ordinary garden soil. It also grows well in heavy clay soils, requires a part shade to sunny place to grow. This species thrives when grown in a dry soil and prefers alkaline soil conditions. Bee Balm is best started from plants which spread like crazy, but will grow from seed as well. Unfortunately, it often gets spotted with a mold like affliction.
    http://www.altnature.com/gallery/beebalm.htm

There are two requirements for growing bee balm - a sunny location and plenty of moisture. Bee balm is a native plant that grows in woodland areas near water sources, replicate the plant’s natural habitat when choosing a planting location.

Bee balm is right at home in a low-lying landscape location where the soil stays moist long after the rains have ended, or when planted around a pond. Bee balm will thrive in a flower garden as long as it is watered regularly.
    http://perennial-plants.suite101.com...ngbird-flowers

So, which is it? Wet or dry? Maybe different varieties?

Isn't bergamot used to flavor Earl Grey tea?

Bergamot is essentially a weed. It will grow okay under somewhat dry conditions, but it does really well if it gets more water.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Isn't bergamot used to flavor Earl Grey tea?
    No, Earl Grey gets its flavor from the Bergamot Orange:

The Bergamot Orange is a small citrus fruit [[Citrus aurantium subsp. bergamia). It is cultivated mostly in southern Italy, and is the flavoring used in Earl Grey Tea.

This is NOT Bergamot or Bergamot mint; they are different plants in the mint family, also called bee balm or Oswego tea.

Oil of bergamot is extracted from the peel of the bergamot orange [[Citrus bergamia or Citrus aurantium bergamia), a small pear shaped sour orange which is cultivated today mostly in southern Italy.
    http://www.foodreference.com/html/fbergamotorange.html

I can attest to it liking sun. I had a beautiful cutting garden at the back of my property. My neighbor behind has quite the jungle including junk weed trees which have now smothered out so many of my plants with shade [[and his weeds). The Beebalm is still around but is a rare shadow of what it once looked like.

As to moisture, the clump that gets more water [[due to a leaky hose) is/was more robust but the clump that got little attention did ok too and still hangs in there.