Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Warning, new smash and grab robbers

Seems at area pharmacies CVS, Walgreens etc. a thief is driving up, looking in cars and seems to target brief cases and computer bags. Smashes the window grabs the bag then drives off.

LodgeDodger Guest

How many times do people need to be told to keep that stuff out of sight? That's the first rule of hanging out in Detroit--hide anything that looks valuable. Otherwise, your vehicle is going to be robbed.

Might as well hide the vehicle while your at it ; )

Ravine Guest

I think the idea, here, is that having that kind of stuff clearly visible, inside your car, is fairly safe, just so's you keep away from CVS & Walgreen's.

LodgeDodger Guest

We all know that "smash and grabs" are crimes of opportunity. Don't tempt the little bastards.

I remember a story in the paper many years back about a smash and grab at Northland. The thief got a plastic bag full of dirty diapers.

I thought it said "smooch and grab" and was a thread about terryh.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    I thought it said "smooch and grab" and was a thread about terryh.
    Awesome.

. . . . . .

Lol@ Johnlodge and Lodgedodger. Smash and grabbers are probably, in most cases desperate drug addicts looking for quick fix....maybe a surveillance camera will get a license plate or clear image of a crook! When a thief smashed the window out of my GrandAm and stold the stock radio I found pieces of glass many months after the crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I remember a story in the paper many years back about a smash and grab at Northland. The thief got a plastic bag full of dirty diapers.
    Geeze, that stinks.

Worked at an independent pharmacy, near Wayne State, decades ago. When the proprieter sold to a national chain, the new owners wanted to brick over the windows, but met a lot of neighborhood opposition.
    Their approach to this problem: Loaded the windows with watches, radios, cameras, etc. A couple of smash and grabs later, the windows were covered, after new complaints about the increase in criminal activity in the Wayne State University area.

I didn't say it was my car or van. I know better than to leave such stuff in view. In this case, the bag stolen had all the guys personal records including the title to the van he was gifted prior to our friends death. He never changed the title, so I get to do the report, the loss title claim and transfer since I am the only person who now has legal authority.

Not as funny as the dirty diaper story but good enough. My son had a utility van that got smashed in the new center area some years back. He tells me ,"Mom they stole my dirty laundry".