Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Freep's story on Synagro

In today's Free Press, there is an article http://www.freep.com/article/2010071...s-records-show about the Synagro executives who gave approval to their Detroit money men [[James Rosendall and Rayford Jackson) to do what it took to get the sludge-disposal contract from the city of Detroit. After reading the repeated acts of bribery, one has to ask: why hasn't this company answered to their part in the cases that plagued Detroit for the last few years?

We know that Monica, Kwame, Sam and Bernard are crooked. They took Synagro money and sold their souls but what about the company that freely gave out this money?

Guess they didn't notice how much was missing from petty cash.
    They have insulated themselves pretty well. Get them on the witness stand and it would remind you of Iran-Cantra, "I can't remember" to "The best of my recollection ...."
    Just be happy we got some sludge removed from city council.

First of all I never believed that Rosendall and Jackson were acting on there own concerning the payments. I think that the fact that all of the Synargro exec's with the exception of one is gone speaks volumes about the companies knowledge and involvement with the illegal payments. Unfortunately the time and expense of going after the Synargro exec's didn't make sense especially when you had two fall guys[[Rosendall and Jackson) that would satify the public.

Also isn't it something that the 5 yes votes on the issue are no longer on the council.

Its looks like the Synargro money went a lot further than just Conyers.

I love the comment, “...Rayford Jackson complained bitterly about the politicians and community activists demanding cash for support of a 2007 sludge-disposal contract.”

When a [[now) convicted felon complains about the high cost of doing business in Detroit that is saying something. No wonder that honest business won't do business in the City.

Yeah, it starts out simple at first with the standard permits, licenses and fees and then it bleeds over into more. Much more.

Such as you need to hire this "political consultant" to navigate the paperwork. Then you need to see what this community organizer or that reverend wants for their community/children/union/name-your-special-cause. Once you gain their approval of the matter they will let "their" counsel person know it is OK with them. All the time costing money and slowing down new business.

Some folks call it social justice, but it looks more like a shakedown to me. An honest guy would not have a chance amongst these vultures.

Is it any wonder that new business is avoiding the City of Detroit? We will NEVER be able to calculate the economic damage caused by this kind of corrupt, Pay-To-Play atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    Is it any wonder that new business is avoiding the City of Detroit? We will NEVER be able to calculate the economic damage caused by this kind of corrupt, Pay-To-Play atmosphere.
    They don't care. William Lattimore is not remorseful about his personal behavior and felonious actions, he is upset because Sam knew the feds were watching their act.
    None of the people involved have souls. None of them.
    Last edited by Luckystrikes; July-13-10 at 09:05 AM.

No wonder that honest business won't do business in the City.
    Honest business!!!! Isn't that an oxymoron?

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    First of all I never believed that Rosendall and Jackson were acting on there own concerning the payments. I think that the fact that all of the Synargro exec's with the exception of one is gone speaks volumes about the companies knowledge and involvement with the illegal payments. Unfortunately the time and expense of going after the Synargro exec's didn't make sense especially when you had two fall guys[[Rosendall and Jackson) that would satify the public.

Also isn't it something that the 5 yes votes on the issue are no longer on the council.

Its looks like the Synargro money went a lot further than just Conyers.
    Money is like candy. When someone is passing it out, you have few rejecting it.

Who are we kidding? This way of dealing money for favor is standard yet in Detroit we make it out to be selling our souls to the Devil. Anyone remember the Salt Lake City Olympics bid scandal? Money talks, bullshit walks. It's not right but our country was built using these same tactics. Compaines like Synagro will use their money men to get their agenda. They don't mind shelling out a few million dollars when they have the potential to get billions out of the deal. It's the American way right?

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Honest business!!!! Isn't that an oxymoron?
    Absolutely NOT.

And I don't know why you would have that pessimist or cynical view of the business world. If that is your prejudged, stereotype then you have been doing business with the wrong guys.

Absolutely NOT.

And I don't know why you would have that pessimist or cynical view of the business world. If that is your prejudged, stereotype then you have been doing business with the wrong guys.
    Cry me a river!!!!!! There is a difference between mom and pop businesses and big businesses.

You ranted off a hyperbole statement and I asked if the phrase honest business is a oxymoron? You really believe a Fortune 500 company got to be a Fortune 500 company by being honest? Wake up and join up in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Cry me a river!!!!!! There is a difference between mom and pop businesses and big businesses.

You ranted off a hyperbole statement and I asked if the phrase honest business is a oxymoron? You really believe a Fortune 500 company got to be a Fortune 500 company by being honest? Wake up and join up in 2010.
    I did not "..rant off a hyperbole statement.." - that may be your opinion, but it is incorrect. Rather, I made a simple, declarative statement - that business should be conducted honestly.

Somehow I suspect that you would argue that "honest government" is not an oxymoron.

I did not "..rant off a hyperbole statement.." - that may be your opinion, but it is incorrect. Rather, I made a simple, declarative statement - that business should be conducted honestly.

Somehow I suspect that you would argue that "honest government" is not an oxymoron.
    "Honest government" is an oxymoron. Want proof? How about the government closing their eyes and stuffing their ears with the dollars that the oil companies gave do to whatever they wanted hence the lax regulations that played a part in the oil rig exploding in the gulf and the result of said explosion.

I respect that you want businesses to operate honestly. I do too but I know when it comes to the dollars, morality goes out the window. You probably believe that the purpose of a company is "to provide a service while at the same time make a profit" but in reality the business model of a company is "to make a profit by providing a service." The dishonestly comes in to play because it is always about the dollars.

I know this won't be a popular viewpoint, but part of me sympathizes with these executives and business owners caught up in all of this.

They didn't cause the cultural of corruption in Detroit city politics. They didn't show up on Kwame's doorstep with bribes. Most of these business owners were extorted and would have been perfectly happy with a fair bidding process had one existed. But it didn't, and despite law enforcements current efforts, the fact is that the corrupt practices went on for almost a decade.

The situation in Detroit is not that unlike American companies that wish to do business in China. American companies would be in violation of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act if they were to bribe a foreign government official. The problem is, not only is bribery practiced and tolerated in China, but its legal for the most part and EXPECTED of companies that wish to do business there. So what's a corporate executive to do?

The culture of big business and a wall street mentality of looking only at the quarterly statements rather than taking a more long term approach puts pressure on exec's to show results and do it quickly. The Carlyle Group which owns Synagro is a private equity group which probably wants the Detroit contract to make the balance sheet look good enough to go ahead and possibly sell Synagro. So yes, the pressure was most likely incredible.

Put that along with a lack of strong ethics and procurement procedures among city officials its no wonder that a whole pay-to-play culture is so strong in Detroit as in other big cities.

One of the statements people ignored when they were leading Lonnie Bates off to jail was that he stated something to the effect that why were they picking on him, everybody is doing it. He sure was right about the everybody is doing it statement

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    The culture of big business and a wall street mentality of looking only at the quarterly statements rather than taking a more long term approach puts pressure on exec's to show results and do it quickly.
    I have disagree with your opening sentence. These executives like the ones at Synagro are not under pressure to get the deal down for the sake of their jobs. They are under pressure because they have a vested interest in getting the deal down. Most executives get bonuses coming depending on how profitable the company is. Rosendall was going to get 3 million for get the Synagro deal approved. When we are talking about potential billions of dollars to be made anything goes.....

One of the statements people ignored when they were leading Lonnie Bates off to jail was that he stated something to the effect that why were they picking on him, everybody is doing it. He sure was right about the everybody is doing it statement
    Locking up a politician is like locking up a dope dealer. There are plenty of them some of them are small-time and some are big-time. When it is their time to be caught, it's their time.

In all honesty folks, with the culture of corruption as it was, how many of the businesses that did "invest" in the city would have been able to, without participating in the known pay-to-play scheme. I don't agree with how things were ran in the city, but until the Feds moved in to clean it up, what were their options? The culture had been so corrupt for so many years, it would have been very difficult NOT to play along. So, we've started with those that have demanded the money, and maybe, we move on to those who supplied it. But, from a business perspective, it was either pay up, or lose the opportunity to do business with the city. I for one am glad the Feds are focusing on those that demanded the money; and maybe after they are all flushed out, the payors will realize it's a new day, a new time, and paying to get what you want is no longer the norm. Gotta start somewhere!