Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Tall Ships in Detroit

The Tall Ships will be moving from Cleveland to Bay City this week. Does anyone know when they would be passing through Detroit? The Cleveland festival ends on the 11th, and the Bay City festival starts on the 15th. I know someone will answer "sometime between the 11th and 15th", [[knowing this crowd), but I was hoping for some more information than that.

Thanks in advance for whatever information someone might have.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FredGarvin View Post
    I know someone will answer "sometime between the 11th and 15th", [[knowing this crowd),
    Well, you sniped my answer, so I got nuthin'.

Stosh Guest

According to this website Cleveland is 84 nautical miles from Detroit, or 94 regular miles.
    http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...l?p1=417&p2=77

Depending on when this party is over in Cleveland is the key to this.
    Tall Ships average between 11.5 and 10.6 knots, or converted to MPH is about 12 average
    I'd say that is a little high, perhaps.
    But the best guess I'd have would be anywhere between 8 and 10 hours sailing time between Cleveland and Detroit.

But you can track them here:
    http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/tsc2010.phtml

And twitter updates here:
    Twitter Updates: http://twitter.com/tallshipsfleet

According to the website, they will be leaving Cleveland at noon Monday, on the first leg of 4 races thru the Great Lakes. They will be racing from Cleveland to the Pelee Passage.

more info here:http://www.sailtraining.org/tallship...LEEPASSAGE.pdf

Bay City from July 15-18

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    Bay City from July 15-18
    *snork*

. . . . . .

Default Detroit Tall Ships Schedule

Thanks for all the information. Based on the 2010 Tall Ships Challenge schedule, I'm estimating that they will be coming through Detroit throughout the day on the 13th. The Cleveland to Pte. Pelee race starts at noon on the 12th. I guess it would be a good day to spend at the riverfront to be able to see these treasures of maritime days gone by. I'm sure they'll be easier to see than the Hydros anyway.

Lodge - thanks for your support and input.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FredGarvin View Post
    Thanks for all the information. Based on the 2010 Tall Ships Challenge schedule, I'm estimating that they will be coming through Detroit throughout the day on the 13th. The Cleveland to Pte. Pelee race starts at noon on the 12th. I guess it would be a good day to spend at the riverfront to be able to see these treasures of maritime days gone by. I'm sure they'll be easier to see than the Hydros anyway.

Lodge - thanks for your support and input.
    I live to serve, Fred.

Sorry, misread the post.

LodgeDodger Guest

Who will be watching for the Tall Ships?

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Who will be watching for the Tall Ships?
    me I have the camera ready and the telescope [[sp?) set up next to the desk

watching one go by Milliken State Park now

Wish that ship tracker was updated to the minute. Some of those ships haven't updated their position in days.

Looks like a couple of the ships are passing Grosse Ile.

One of them's parked in the anchorage area across from the lighthouse in Milliken Park. I'm guessing he doesn't want to drive at night. Probably will stay there until the morning at least.

LodgeDodger Guest

The Europa

No, the one I'm looking at is smaller. It's only got two of those upright thingys and the bottom part is black. [[Can you tell I'm not a sailor?)

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    No, the one I'm looking at is smaller. It's only got two of those upright thingys and the bottom part is black. [[Can you tell I'm not a sailor?)
    I know this isn't the boat currently anchored at the park. This is a picture I took while on the Riverwalk today.

If you mean the big telephone pole-like thingys, I believe they're referred to as "masts". And the bottom part is known as the "hull". Silly wabbit.

LodgeDodger Guest

Downtown, perhaps this is the ship you're seeing? The Roald Amundsen.

http://www.sailtraining.de/roaldamundsen.html

Could be. I can't see it in the dark now. It didn't have the sails up when I saw it. See, I do know some nautical terminology!

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Could be. I can't see it in the dark now. It didn't have the sails up when I saw it. See, I do know some nautical terminology!
    I don't believe they're "sailing" on this journey. I believe they're using their engines. The Europa's sails were furled.