Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: 970, 970

Default 970, 970

Poorly written article, but as I read it 970 was drawn both in the midday and evening drawings on the same day. Weird, eh?

Lucky day! 9-7-0 gets double-draw in Mich. lotto
    Jul 9 09:03 PM US/Eastern

DETROIT [[AP) - It was a lucky day in Michigan for the numbers nine, seven and zero. The Michigan State Lottery says nine, seven and zero were the winning numbers in Friday's Midday Daily 3 drawing. And the lottery says the same numbers drawn in the same order were the winning ones in Friday evening's Daily 3.

There was no immediate word of winnings related to the numbers.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press.

Ravine Guest

Even weirder, given the numbers matching to the date.
    I'm glad that I'm not at work, tonight. I don't know what the lottery-addicts are saying, but I'm fairly sure that I don't want to hear it.
    Especially since, this time, all of the conspiracy & fix talk would be difficult to casually dismiss.

Why is this so unusual? The odds of the the same numbers coming up on any particular midday and evening daily 3 drawing are 1 in 1,000. So, this is expected to happen roughly once every 32 months or 2.75 years.

For those that are not as good at statistics, the odds of any particular number coming up in the midday and evening drawing is 1 in 1,000,000. You would have to wait for 2,740 years on average for that to happen.

Edit: I checked the Michigan Lottery historical data. There have been 5 instances where the midday 3 and evening 3's numbers matched from 10/27/03 to 7/9/10. That includes 2,446 drawings over 2,447 days. Some days, such as Christmas have no drawings. There were also 5 'bonus' drawings for the Evening 3 in 2005--there were two separate drawings those evenings.
    Last edited by RO_Resident; July-10-10 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Added some analysis.

Ravine Guest

OK, you're right. Nothing remarkable about it, at all.

Move it along, folks; nothing to see, here.

A thread begins and ends within 4 post's on DYes. What are the odds on that happening?