Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default On the Rise Bakery - Detroit - CSK

We went to the opening of the On the Rise bakery just west of 94 on Gratiot and McClellan for the opening/blessing Sunday. This is run by the Capuchins and their program ROPE [[Reaching Our Potential Everyday) they are open from 6am till noon from Tuesday [[?) through Sunday. Check it out if you haven't it's a great bakery doing good works. Also the blueberry walnut coffee cake is worth the drive and they have all kinds off bread and other goodies too.

I second this recommendation. Many of the bakers have spent time on the streets and time in jail, but they have put their lives together and are working to make their city a better place.

If you like to take your bagel with a blessing, On the Rise is the place to go.

Quote Originally Posted by danofcamden View Post
    We went to the opening of the On the Rise bakery just west of 94 on Gratiot and McClellan for the opening/blessing Sunday. This is run by the Capuchins and their program ROPE [[Reaching Our Potential Everyday) they are open from 6am till noon from Tuesday [[?) through Sunday. Check it out if you haven't it's a great bakery doing good works. Also the blueberry walnut coffee cake is worth the drive and they have all kinds off bread and other goodies too.
    Looking forward to stopping there. Is it on Gratiot or McClellan? When you get a chance how about a street address ?

This reminds me a lot of Homeboy Industries in L.A.. Father Gregory Boyle, a Jesuit priest, started a bakery employing gang members. It grew into a number of successful businesses, including a cafe in downtown Los Angeles. http://www.homeboy-industries.org/

I hope On The Rise is as successful!

6110 McClellan, about 15 feet east of Gratiot. there is also parking in the back.

they're open just 6 am to noon?

Bearinabox Guest

6110 McClellan, about 15 feet east of Gratiot. there is also parking in the back.
    I'm pretty sure McClellan still runs north and south.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    I'm pretty sure McClellan still runs north and south.
    It goes into Mack so it runs south for sure.

Thanks for the info, I'll stop by this week for sure.

I stopped this morning, very nice! I will be back!

There is a new facebook group for it!
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...0691249&ref=nf