Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Favorite Places to Read a Book

Anyone have a favorite place in the city or suburbs where they enjoy taking a few hours to read a book at leisure or catch up on work during the weekends? Maybe a historic library, or an aesthetically pleasing room in an architecturally relevant building? Possibly a coffee house with an environment conducive to productivity? The parameters for suggestions are extremely flexible. There's no right answer here.

Thanks for your input in advance.

LodgeDodger Guest

I like to sit on the second to last cement support on the West side of the Belle Isle bridge. I only get there once in a while, but I love that place. I don't stay there too long, just long enough to read an article or two. Sometimes I just look at the city skyline and think. You cannot do a lot of reading in that spot, because people keep interrupting you, asking what it is you're doing. A half an hour in that spot, and you're completely refreshed.

If I catch any of you folks in my spot, I'm kicking you out. You've been warned.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    I like to sit on the second to last cement support on the West side of the Belle Isle bridge. I only get there once in a while, but I love that place. I don't stay there too long, just long enough to read an article or two. Sometimes I just look at the city skyline and think. You cannot do a lot of reading in that spot, because people keep interrupting you, asking what it is you're doing. A half an hour in that spot, and you're completely refreshed.

If I catch any of you folks in my spot, I'm kicking you out. You've been warned.
    Priceless.
    The funniest part is that they probably really don't know.

Very good question. I find it irritating when Im reading a book in a public location and someone starts grilling or quizzing me on what Im reading. I was finishing a book on the holocaust and had in my possesion 'Black Mafia:Ethnic Succession In Organized Crime' when a politically correct young 'counter person' was a little freaked out about my subjects of interest assuming I may be some sort of paranoid white supremicist, as I wasnt a student at the time.We can read for pleasure,to stimulate-excercise our minds,form opinions etc...There are probably many peaceful serene spots on Belle Ilse to kick back on a chair, or blanket, and consume some good readin Again, the leather couches in Java Hutt make for a relaxing read.....
    Last edited by terryh; July-09-10 at 08:52 PM.

There's a little-known place near the Utica library that could be made an excellent place to read a book. It's a quiet pedestrian tunnel under Hall Rd. that leads to a peaceful bridge over the Clinton River. All it needs is a bench. I think I'll suggest it next time I'm there.

These are all pretty obvious and well-known, but they are some of my favorites...

I love to sit by the water and read on Belle Isle-the shore by the lighthouse has plenty of peaceful spots with ready-made rock loungers..bring a blanket to sit on and dangle your feet in the water. The Riverwalk and Campus Martius are also full of good spots [[although the wifi is spotty for working).

If you hit Woodbridge Pub or Le Petit Zinc at non-busy times so you don't feel like you're hogging a table, they have great wifi and atmosphere for writing/websurfing.

The Detroit Public Library certainly has the architecture, atmosphere, and old school reading rooms for more heavy duty work. I have never been in the Skillman Branch Library on Gratiot, but it looks amazing and I bet it's not that busy on Saturdays.

Rowland Cafe in the Guardian Building...

Boring book nerd out.

Cafe con Leche in Mexican Town is great, as is Clark Park across the street. Sometimes I read the paper on the top of a building. I like dawn because that means you chill with the pigeons.

The Maccabees building has a little philosophy library that's nearly always empty. It's on the eleventh floor I think.. where ever the philosophy department is.

I like Grand Circus because there's usually people there chilling. I like the dead end of the River Walk behind the lofts on Iron @ Jefferson. There's some good rocks there to sit on.

Half seriously: I never see anybody at the park where the riots started Rosa [[12th) & Clairmont. But if you ever read something about that time period: Dancing in the Streets, Origins of the Urban Crisis, etc. why not do it there? http://maps.google.com/maps?layer=c&...Edsao30EBm3zFw

Thanks everyone

bump

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitArmy View Post
    Thanks everyone

bump
    Just remember to stay out of my spot.

I have been reading the Constitution on the Riverwalk at lunch...I sit on the grass and take my shoes off. Pure joy to be away from my desk, feet in the grass near the water reading a book. its my daily slice of heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    There's a little-known place near the Utica library that could be made an excellent place to read a book. It's a quiet pedestrian tunnel under Hall Rd. that leads to a peaceful bridge over the Clinton River. All it needs is a bench. I think I'll suggest it next time I'm there.
    The librarian says this year they plan to build a new dock or boardwalk along the river there! Yea!